The World Cup

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'd pick Farnworth if fit, without doubt. We have few centre options and he is a quality player. We have the Fiji warm up and it's a long tournament. Even if he wasn't quite ready for the Samoa game then the France and Greece games should provide a nice opportunity to build games, if needed.

If he was a different player in a different position then I may well have a different view.

I will ask the question again, once a country elects it's 25 player's for the squad can that be interchanged once the tournament starts?

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Really? We see it all the time. You have obviously watched the game for a long time and must have seen it yourself. Thomas Leuluai fantastic before his lay off then way off the pace on his return. French at the start of the season took a few games to get up to speed after missing the first 6 and was getting cramp in his first game back, something we often see. That is off the top of my head.

You don't think match fitness exists, that's fine but to me it clearly does and it is very evident that players and coaches think so. I have heard them refer to it enough.

I saw Brian To'o miss 6 weeks at the beginning of the year then come back, play 80 minutes and run for 266 metres.

There are examples in both directions. 

If a modern player misses some matches in a season then they are very capable of coming back with their fitness intact.  Of course that probably depends on the player but everything I have seen about Farnworth and his attention to his craft, he is one of them.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will ask the question again, once a country elects it's 25 player's for the squad can that be interchanged once the tournament starts?

I don't think so as it defeats the point of naming a squad in the first place. It would also give a big advantage to the host country I think.

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I saw Brian To'o miss 6 weeks at the beginning of the year then come back, play 80 minutes and run for 266 metres.

Do you know that for certain Dunny re To'o considering that Penrith have it's stand alone reserves team it would seem highly unlikely that they would not give him some game time prior to returning to the first team, that is if the rules of their competitions allow it.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes that is what I thought Damien, so if there are any bans or injuries to player's in your (anyone) opinion should they be considered?

I certainly wouldn't take anyone who couldn't play in any of the group games in the hope they would be OK for the knockout stages.  Missing one, maybe even two games may be OK but no more that that.

That's my view anyway.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes that is what I thought Damien, so if there are any bans or injuries to player's in your (anyone) opinion should they be considered?

It depends on the ban, injury and player. There are a lot of variables there. 

In terms of bans the Fiji game uses up one so for most players it would have to be a huge ban to discount them. If they were good enough and seen as key then I wouldn't rule out anyone with say a 3 game ban (effectively 2 because of the Fiji game).

Injuries again it depends on the player, position and options. Farnworth I'd make an exception for because he offers something different, has played well at a high level and has a physical presence in a position we are struggling. I may not necessarily do the same for someone like Batchelor, another uncapped player but in a position with more alternatives, if they were in the same boat.

Edited by Damien

1 minute ago, Damien said:

It depends on the ban, injury and player. There are a lot of variables there. 

In terms of bans the Fiji game uses up one so for most players it would have to be a huge ban to discount them. If they were good enough and seen as key then I wouldn't rule out anyone with say a 3 game ban (effectively 2 because of the Fiji game).

Injuries again it depends on the player, position and options. Farnworth I'd make an exception for because he offers something different, has played well at a high level and has a physical presence in a position we are struggling. I may not necessarily do the same for someone like Batchelor, another uncapped player but in a position with more alternatives, was in the same boat.

Have you seen it officially that 'friendlies' count in respect of games played during a banned period.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you know that for certain Dunny re To'o considering that Penrith have it's stand alone reserves team it would seem highly unlikely that they would not give him some game time prior to returning to the first team, that is if the rules of their competitions allow it.

He didn't play for the NSW Cup team, he went straight back into the NRL side.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Has Farnworth been injured or he wasn't picked in the first grade team at all for the broncos??

Ruptured bicep in Round 14.

He played pretty much all the season till that point (missed Round 13).

He was being praised as one of the Broncos best in an improved season for them before his injury. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Ruptured bicep in Round 14.

He played pretty much all the season till that point (missed Round 13).

He was being praised as one of the Broncos best in an improved season for them before his injury. 

I thought he was back from injury but I just read now that they weren't gonna risk it because of injuries. I do agree with a bit of what Harry said. It'll be tough for Farnworth to get into form straight away. But I think after every game he'll slowly get back in to it. Against Samoa it'll be hard to expect him to do what he did before he got injured. England's gonna need some good backs to contain the Samoan Panthers backline that's for sure 2 to 6 are all Penrith Panthers players. And that's from the most dominant NRL Team the last two years

13 minutes ago, Mojo said:

I thought he was back from injury but I just read now that they weren't gonna risk it because of injuries. I do agree with a bit of what Harry said. It'll be tough for Farnworth to get into form straight away. But I think after every game he'll slowly get back in to it. Against Samoa it'll be hard to expect him to do what he did before he got injured. England's gonna need some good backs to contain the Samoan Panthers backline that's for sure 2 to 6 are all Penrith Panthers players. And that's from the most dominant NRL Team the last two years

While I would like to see England start the tournament well against Samoa (and no doubt it will be useful for the profile of the cup in this country), it is not really how you start but how you finish that counts.

If we beat Samoa we are highly likely to top the group then then face (probably) PNG and Tonga in the quarters and semi's.

If we lose to Samoa in the opener then we will (likely) face Tonga in the quarters and Samoa again in the semi's.

In the latter scenario, the second game against Samoa is far more important than the first and I would expect the England staff to be looking at this as a 6 game tournament for England and building momentum,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

So you want to throw Farnwoth in who has not put on a pair of boots in anger for a good number of weeks and expect him to be match fit. 

Unfortunately, yes. We’re really weak in the centres. Far from ideal I know but we need quality and he is way in front of the other contenders.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

It’s because the rule is that if you play a qualifying match for a nation you must play for that nation at the World Cup.

Indeed , funnily enough it says that in the article …

• Haha 2

On 18/09/2022 at 12:03, Harry Stottle said:

Yes they can be interchanged, but only if you are a Tier 1 country begining and ending with the letter A.

8 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

It’s because the rule is that if you play a qualifying match for a nation you must play for that nation at the World Cup.

I didn't know playing a qualifying match locks you into that team for all those years. Sounds a bit stupid to me. It's probably why they let it pass

5 minutes ago, Mojo said:

I didn't know playing a qualifying match locks you into that team for all those years. Sounds a bit stupid to me. It's probably why they let it pass

Personally I'd prefer it if playing any international match locked you in for that country permanently.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

Personally I'd prefer it if playing any international match locked you in for that country permanently.

I disagree. Because than we'll be back to aussie putting 50pts on everyone again. The international game is growing because of the rules being bend to make more teams competitive. The rule now which locks a player to one nation for a year is pretty good. To stop players changing teams throughout the whole year

• Like 1