The World Cup

8 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

All really good players, so no need for any laughing emojis. Tom is going great for Soufs. I don't see why he wouldn't be in consideration - if he was from a land down under.

Tom Burgess was the best prop forward on the pitch in last years Grand Final and has continued to lead the Souths pack this year.

To respond with a laughing emoji on his potential inclusion for the Kangaroos if eligible shows extreme bias or extreme lack of understanding of a middle forward's role and contribution.  Either is not a good look.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

55 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I'm trying to think of any English players who would make the Australian team.

England could be in massive trouble against Samoa.

Totally agree, I`d be getting very nervous if I were a Pom.

Suaalii will join a Penrith dominated backline which includes Luai, To’o, Stephen Crichton, Izack Tago, Taylan May and Charlie Staines, and is likely to be considered at fullback for the World Cup opener against England on October 15.

Throw in Junior Paulo and Josh Papaali`i their pack will hold their own against anybody, and then they`ve got a backline that will either run you ragged or tear you to shreds. Hope your fit fella`s and I mean NRL fit.

Edited by The Rocket

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Suaalii will join a Penrith dominated backline which includes Luai, To’o, Stephen Crichton, Izack Tago, Taylan May and Charlie Staines, and is likely to be considered at fullback for the World Cup opener against England on October 15.

Throw in Junior Paulo and Josh Papaali`i their pack will hold their own against anybody, and then they`ve got a backline that will either run you ragged or tear you to shreds. Hope your fit fella`s and I mean NRL fit.

I really do think that we are bigging up Suaalii and the likes of Stephen Crichton, Izack Tago, Taylan May and Charlie Staines too much.

Seriously, England should be worried because Charlie Staines is lining up against them?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Tom Burgess was the best prop forward on the pitch in last years Grand Final and has continued to lead the Souths pack this year.

To respond with a laughing emoji on his potential inclusion for the Kangaroos if eligible shows extreme bias or extreme lack of understanding of a middle forward's role and contribution.  Either is not a good look.

Yeah, if Tom Burgess was Aussie he would easily be in the 17. He’s better than Collins, Lodge, Arrow, Fleger etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I really do think that we are bigging up Suaalii and the likes of Stephen Crichton, Izack Tago, Taylan May and Charlie Staines too much.

Seriously, England should be worried because Charlie Staines is lining up against them?

Oh dear !!

4 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Oh dear !!

You think all those are World Class players?

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I can't imagine Charlie Staines gets near the squad as Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow will probably be the backup for whichever of Crichton/Suaalii doesn't get the fullback spot.

Suaalii/May/Tago/Crichton/To'o is a phenomenally talented back 5 that has ready made attacking and defensive structures to fall into on account of the Penrith connection, I don't think that element can be understated. 

On the other side however you have Farnworth, who prior to his injury was the best centre in the NRL and performed better than all of the above prior to his injury this season. Makinson is proven at both test and club level to be a top-tier winger, Percival (my assumption for the other centre slot) is an experienced player who has been part of a top-quality side for a long time, the last winger selection could go a few ways and each of them offer their own strengths that can add to the side. Then Welsby/Tomkins are both genuine fullbacks as opposed to Samoa forcing an outside back into fullback, which has it's own benefits both in attack and defence.

Matchups are very close across the board, lots will come down to the way Wane approaches selections and the game but the home advantage also shouldn't be disregarded.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

I'm trying to think of any English players who would make the Australian team.

England could be in massive trouble against Samoa.

The Anti English/ SL train is never late on here is it..

How about - a fit Walmsley? Tom Burgess? - can't see how they wouldn't be close to an Aussie 17.

Makemson- who Wayne Bennet says is the best in the world in his position ( still raves about him now - just watch the recent James Graham podcast)

If he wants to play, Roby would walk into the England and Aussie 17s.

We must really hate English RL on here- its amazing how we reached the final in 2017...or beat NZ in 2019.

Edited by Mr Frisky
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Radley would wouldn’t be selected as the same 13’s that keep him out of the NSW team will all be in the Aus team (Isiah Yeo, Jake T & Cameron Murray).

I assume it’s one of the reasons he now plays for England.

Radley wants to play for England- he's not played a game yet. Knowles is a better player anyway so its not a big loss to England if Radley didn't play - but he has to be picked first.

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think Charlie Staines makes the samoan team at all. Samoa has more depth in the backs than the Kiwis and Tonga right now

7 minutes ago, UTK said:

I can't imagine Charlie Staines gets near the squad as Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow will probably be the backup for whichever of Crichton/Suaalii doesn't get the fullback spot.

Suaalii/May/Tago/Crichton/To'o is a phenomenally talented back 5 that has ready made attacking and defensive structures to fall into on account of the Penrith connection, I don't think that element can be understated. 

On the other side however you have Farnworth, who prior to his injury was the best centre in the NRL and performed better than all of the above prior to his injury this season. Makinson is proven at both test and club level to be a top-tier winger, Percival (my assumption for the other centre slot) is an experienced player who has been part of a top-quality side for a long time, the last winger selection could go a few ways and each of them offer their own strengths that can add to the side. Then Welsby/Tomkins are both genuine fullbacks as opposed to Samoa forcing an outside back into fullback, which has it's own benefits both in attack and defence.

Matchups are very close across the board, lots will come down to the way Wane approaches selections and the game but the home advantage also shouldn't be disregarded.

Let's wait and see.  And I can't wait.

It's just that we see the names of May/Tago/Crichton rolled off as if they are absolute superstars.  Crichton stepped up to Origin this year and looked out of his depth against the like of Valentine Holmes and Dane Gagai.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

Welsby, Makinson, Farnworth, Williams, Knowles, Radley, Bateman and Burgess would be there or thereabouts for the Green and Golds, if they were convicts.

Not a hope in the world would any of those make the Aus team, probably the only one who may even be considered as a bench spot would be Tom Burgess.

• Haha 1

It's just that we see the names of May/Tago/Crichton rolled off as if they are absolute superstars.  Crichton stepped up to Origin this year and looked out of his depth against the like of Valentine Holmes and Dane Gagai.

I watched every Panthers game this year and that left side of Tago and May was unstoppable against almost every team. In the playoffs Critchon and To'o are back to there best. But in saying that it'll be interesting to see how they go with the samoan team.

• Like 1

I personally am in this bracket to be honest, I think we'll look back at this side and indeed the Penrith side in future years and look in awe. 

That's a fair comment about Crichton in Origin, he had a rough introduction to representative footy as did another young star in Kotoni Staggs - their opposite number Holmes is a hell of a player to be fair (Crichton still outplayed Gagai though).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not a hope in the world would any of those make the Aus team, probably the only one who may even be considered as a bench spot would be Tom Burgess.

You forget Harry - the Aussies think Bateman is the best 2nd rower in the world....

42 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

They'll have to be international fit.

All good players, but England have no cause to be quaking in their boots.

3 minutes ago, UTK said:

I personally am in this bracket to be honest, I think we'll look back at this side and indeed the Penrith side in future years and look in awe. 

That's a fair comment about Crichton in Origin, he had a rough introduction to representative footy as did another young star in Kotoni Staggs - their opposite number Holmes is a hell of a player to be fair (Crichton still outplayed Gagai though).

I agree people look at that origin game and straight away think Crichton is overrated. Crichton had some bad moments but in origin every mistake you make and everyone will remember it. Nsw has a whole got dominated in that game 3

2 minutes ago, UTK said:

They are a great team.

The problem as always with a sport like Rugby League is trying to judge individual players in the context of the wider team.

The Panthers strength is in their spine - Edwards, Koroisau, Cleary, Yeo and Luai combined with a very good forward pack, fantastic structure in both attack and defence and metres from their back line.

What I don't know yet is how good any of these young outside backs would be if you took them out of that structure and away from that spine.  Would the likes of Tago, May and Crichton be starring for Gold Coast or Canterbury or Newcastle any more than the young players in those sides?

We will see at the World Cup I guess.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, UTK said:

Nicely said, UTK.

If we had played the world cup when we should have done, last year, an England vs Australia final would have been expected. I now predict it will be NZ vs Samoa, given the Aussies lack of forward grunt and the effect the ageing process has had on England.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

You forget Harry - the Aussies think Bateman is the best 2nd rower in the world....

They can think all they like, no one down under must have watched him perform - that should be underperform - this season and last, as I have said before Frisky the version of John Bateman that went down under would be the first name on the teamsheet for me, the version that came back and playing now should get nowhere near the team.

29 minutes ago, Spotty Herbert said:

If we had played the world cup when we should have done, last year, an England vs Australia final would have been expected. I now predict it will be NZ vs Samoa, given the Aussies lack of forward grunt and the effect the ageing process has had on England.

That’s not a bad shout I think England were much stronger last year before injuries form and age caught up with a few players this. Not sure on the Aussies but they have certainly been spread very thin this year. Whilst NZ look to be stealing the ship after the last few years were the strength of Tonga and Samoa seemed to be affecting them. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 1

I've come across a question that I need help resolving on the RLWC website, for the last couple of years and indeed the media following the WC we have been expecting the two sides of the draw to be entirely separate, with Aus/NZ meeting in one final and England/Tonga/Samoa/PNG fighting for the other. 

https://www.rlwc2021.com/tournament/mens-tournament/groups-and-standings

This however has the groups crossing in the SF stage so we could end up with an Australia/England SF.

Am I misreading something now or have I been under the wrong impression all along?

4 minutes ago, UTK said:

I've come across a question that I need help resolving on the RLWC website, for the last couple of years and indeed the media following the WC we have been expecting the two sides of the draw to be entirely separate, with Aus/NZ meeting in one final and England/Tonga/Samoa/PNG fighting for the other. 

https://www.rlwc2021.com/tournament/mens-tournament/groups-and-standings

This however has the groups crossing in the SF stage so we could end up with an Australia/England SF.

Am I misreading something now or have I been under the wrong impression all along?

Yes, that is poor.

On the page you quote, the semis are Q1 winner vs. Q2 winner and Q3 winner vs. Q4 winner.

Yet on other official publications it is Q2 vs Q4 and Q1 vs. Q3

Like here: 

• Like 1