The World Cup

5 minutes ago, UTK said:

I've come across a question that I need help resolving on the RLWC website, for the last couple of years and indeed the media following the WC we have been expecting the two sides of the draw to be entirely separate, with Aus/NZ meeting in one final and England/Tonga/Samoa/PNG fighting for the other. 

https://www.rlwc2021.com/tournament/mens-tournament/groups-and-standings

This however has the groups crossing in the SF stage so we could end up with an Australia/England SF.

Am I misreading something now or have I been under the wrong impression all along?

Based on everything else that's been published, you are right with your initial understanding and I think someone has made a mistake on that webpage.

It could do with clarifying/sorting out as soon as possible though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UTK said:

I've come across a question that I need help resolving on the RLWC website, for the last couple of years and indeed the media following the WC we have been expecting the two sides of the draw to be entirely separate, with Aus/NZ meeting in one final and England/Tonga/Samoa/PNG fighting for the other. 

https://www.rlwc2021.com/tournament/mens-tournament/groups-and-standings

This however has the groups crossing in the SF stage so we could end up with an Australia/England SF.

Am I misreading something now or have I been under the wrong impression all along?

I’m 100% sure I’ve double/triple checked it before over the last year or 2 and it’s always said that the Aus/NZ/Fiji side doesn’t cross over with the England/Tonga/Samoa/PNG side until the final. Weird.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

Welsby, Makinson, Farnworth, Williams, Knowles, Radley, Bateman and Burgess would be there or thereabouts for the Green and Golds, if they were convicts.

So who would any of these you suggest replace in the expected Aussie team,

Welsby at 1 or 6, before Tedesco or Munster?

Makinson before Ado Carr or Val Holmes?

Farnworth before Mitchell or Wighton?

Williams at 6 or 7, before Munster or Cleary?

Knowles before, Yeo?

Radley, he can't get in squad that is why he as opted to play for another country?

Bateman before Murray or Crighton?

Burgess, as I said could be a bench slot on his present form.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Knowles before, Yeo?

Radley, he can't get in squad that is why he as opted to play for another country?

I agree there aren't many.

But you could make a strong argument that Makinson on the wing could push Addo-Carr or Holmes and I certainly think Farnworh is a better centre than Jack Wighton.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 hours ago, Mojo said:

I do agree with Milford. But he has always played we'll with samoa. Any halves playing for the knights would've struggled to play well at all. Even tho I thought Milford wasn't too bad this season. Milford next to Luai and the Panthers backline and you add in origin players like Junior Paulo and Josh Papali'i I think he'll be fine. Danny levi is a solid hooker too.

Samoan Line up so far

1 Joseph Suaali'i

2 Tylan May

3 Izack Tago

4 Stephen Crichton

5 Brian To'o

6 Jarome Luai

7 Anthony Milford

8 Junior Paulo

9 Danny Levi

10 Josh Aloiai

11 Luciano Leilua

12 Jayd'n Sua

13 Raymond Faitala-Mariner

14 Chanel Harris-Tevita

15 Spencer Leniu

16 Martin Taupau

17 Josh Papali'i

2 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

1 or 2 ? I can name at least 5 Suaalii, To’o, Crichton, Paulo, Papalii. Don’t get me wrong I still think England will most likely win, but saying only 1 to 2 players would make aus/nz is very harsh.

2 hours ago, Mojo said:

I was about to say the same thing lol

Ok.

Suaalii ahead of Tedesco, Turbo, Papz, Edwards, Mitchell, Manu and a few other Kiwis who could pay there. 

No thanks

To'o. Yes. Absolutely.

Crichton isn't in the same league of Wighton, Mitchell, Holmes, Manu, Staggs, Gagai, 

Paolo / Papali - Not above Tino, RCG, JWH, Bromwich, Carrigan, Collins, Fisher Harris, Nelson

Harsh on Papali maybe, but there's simply better.

You didn't mention Luai who could have partnered Cleary and as there's a dearth of quality 6s these days, he's very good.

Samoa are very decent. Very. The hyperbole is making you look like one eyed trolls. Or children.

• Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Knowles before, Yeo?

My point, Harry, was that they'd be in contention/consideration.

Makinson would have a shot at a wing berth. I rate Wighton but you wouldn't lose anything with Farnworth. Burgess would be the obvious one, yes.

I suppose my comment was intended as a little push-back against the doom-merchants.

I think all these players - and injured others such as Newman and Walmsley - would be stars down under and candidates for rep honours.

You appear to disagree. Each to their own.

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

Ok.

Suaalii ahead of Tedesco, Turbo, Papz, Edwards, Mitchell, Manu and a few other Kiwis who could pay there. 

No thanks

To'o. Yes. Absolutely.

Crichton isn't in the same league of Wighton, Mitchell, Holmes, Manu, Staggs, Gagai, 

Paolo / Papali - Not above Tino, RCG, JWH, Bromwich, Carrigan, Collins, Fisher Harris, Nelson

You didn't mention Luai who could have partnered Cleary and as there's a dearth of quality 6s these days, he's very good.

Samoa are very decent. Very. The hyperbole is making you look like one eyed trolls. Or children.

Put the bottle down and go to sleep old man

3 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Makinson would have a shot at a wing berth. I rate Wighton but you wouldn't lose anything with Farnworth. Burgess would be the obvious one, yes.

I suppose my comment was intended as a little push-back against the doom-merchants.

I think all these players - and injured others such as Newman and Walmsley - would be stars down under and candidates for rep honours.

I agree in the thinking that a lot of our players could be stars down there, but they instead play in an inferior comp and suffer as a consequence. 

I think we can win the world cup as our best 17 is not too far of theirs (2017 as evidence), but sadly, we don't have the experience of playing at that level when it matters as much as they do.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

Do you disagree or are you just stumped because you're being called out?

Called out about what? I'm honestly confused on which side your disagreeing with? You've shared two different comments from me and someone else. Are you agreeing the samoan team is good or bad?

13 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Ok.

No thanks

To'o. Yes. Absolutely.

The only point I would argue about here is Paulo / Papali.  They are quality front rowers who would certainly be in consideration for the Kangaroos and above Collins, RCG  and maybe Carrigan for me.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

The only point I would argue about here is Paulo / Papali.  They are quality front rowers who would certainly be in consideration for the Kangaroos and above Collins, RCG  and maybe Carrigan for me.

Papali maybe, but Paolo is bang average.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Called out about what? I'm honestly confused on which side your disagreeing with? You've shared two different comments from me and someone else. Are you agreeing the samoan team is good or bad?

Called out on the constant bumming of players. 

Simply put, other than To'o, no one who is picked for Samoa would play for Australia.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I would have loved to see Tommy Makinson in the NRL, Walmsleys left that to late 33 next.

But for one moment just consider if it was a select NRL team not just those who have elected to play for Aus how many of our lads would grace that?

Just now, MattSantos said:

Simply put, other than To'o, no one who is picked for Samoa would play for Australia.

Suali'i was basically locked in for the wing spot, To’o would've made the other wing. Paulo would've started at prop. Papali'i would've made the bench. Luai would've made the extended team. I'm starting to think you watch nrl games blindfolded 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Ok.

No thanks

To'o. Yes. Absolutely.

Think about what you’re writing down mate, since when was Suaalii playing as a fullback for Australia. And to say Papalii wouldn’t make the Australia is one of the stupidest, most idiotic things I’ve ever heard a rugby league fan say.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

What players have I bummed out? This is a rugby league forum and I'm free to debate anything 

1 minute ago, Mojo said:

Now who's the troll? Paulo has been the best prop in the playoffs. You must be a raiders fan lol

Dominated in origin.

He's decent when his team are winning, offload comes into play etc. Too many errors and missed tackles to be classed as elite.

He's not bang average. He's good. He's just not as good as Tino, Tapine, Fisher Harris, Haas et al

Anyone fancy having a crack at the strongest Samoan 17 now that a few have committed to them.  My guess is that there will be some very strong positions but some key weaknesses as well, particularly in the spine positions where the Aussies are still miles ahead of the rest (perhaps with the exception of the Kiwis).

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Thank you that guy is a total idiot.

Yes. 

My original comment said 'Harsh on Papali but there's better'

There are better props than him kicking about. He's make the squad, but in an injury free team, he doesnt make Aussies best 17.

Suaalii is not ahead of Holmes, Addo Carr, Gagai in the context of having to win a semi final against NZ and then a final. He just isn't. It's the continuing hyperbole of of players  that last week put Dylan Brown in the highest class of NRL players that is just nonsense.

• Haha 1