The World Cup

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

This may have already been covered, but I’m not scrolling back to find it…

Who are the most likely pairing for the Emirates semi final? I live basically next door to the stadium, just trying to gauge what tier of ticket I can justify

Some combination of England, Samoa and Tonga.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DavidM said:

Totally agree and similar to what I was thinking . Certainly from the start of a World Cup cycle . And yes then give players regular games to play in through that cycle to the World Cup

That really only caters to the top 20 or so nations. It would absolutely destroy the smaller nations.

The current eligibility rules are basically as good as they can be for everyone now.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

10 minutes ago, Pulga said:

That really only caters to the top 20 or so nations. It would absolutely destroy the smaller nations.

The current eligibility rules are basically as good as they can be for everyone now.

Are they though ? There a 6 rugby league teams in Samoa compared to over a thousand clubs in France, Yet Samoa are much better. Is that really a good for the game having a country with little to no youth system be better than country that has been playing the sport for almost 90s years with over a thousand clubs and over 50,000 players.

Like i said it must be very disheartening to all people involved in rugby league in France. They put in all this effort, time and money into developing sport yet they aren’t one of the best teams in the world.

It sets a really bad example for our sport and it is honestly just stupid.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

For me there a two main problems in international rugby league, one is a lack of games and the other is how lousy the eligibility rules are. If I was in charge this is what a would do:

Make so you can only play for one nation in at least a 5 year period possibly longer, having certainty for all nations over who is in the player pool would be great. It would also be great if the nrl made all contracted players declare the nationality but I doubt they’ll do that.

Create a mandatory amount of home grown players for all nations. I would say at least a quarter of you’re squad should be born and raised in that country. Yes it may be weaken a lot nations (the pacific nations especially) but it would very beneficial for the sport in the long term and it would be very rewarding for nations like France and png.

I always get annoyed when I see the amount of work that goes into developing the game and youth systems in nations like PNG, France, Fiji and Wales. Just for them to get battered  50 - nel by a team of aussies and kiwis, it must be really disheartening for the people spending big money developing the sport in those countries.

Might as well go back to Australia putting 50pts on everyone snorefest we had 10 years ago. The rules you put up will destroy the International game immediately

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Might as well go back to Australia putting 50pts on everyone snorefest we had 10 years ago. The rules you put up will destroy the International game immediately

No Not at all the international game would thrive under those rules, Having countries play with player from there actually country believe it or not would be good for the game, who would’ve thought.

And besides Rugby league is sitting on two gold mines right now, Firstly Papua New Guinea they have a bigger player base then Australia and every other country in the world. Politics aside there is massive potential for them to become one of the best teams in the world one day.

Secondly France, France used to be a powerhouse nation who defeated the likes of Australia and Great Britain on the regular, If they can back to that standard with the work from Luc Lacoste we could have another powerhouse rugby league nation on our hands.

Not to mention the likes of Fiji and Wales who also have the youth systems to produce a large amount of first grade players.

Having a group of Aussies and kiwis with Samson or Tongan grandparents really does nothing to grow the international game, all it is doing is delaying the inevitable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Having a group of Aussies and kiwis with Samson or Tongan grandparents really does nothing to grow the international game, all it is doing is delaying the inevitable.

When they are all crowded around their televisions in Samoa, Tonga, Fiji et.al. and those teams are giving it to the so-called `big ` nations, don`t you worry it will grow the game both in their home nations i.e. nationally and in turn internationally.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

When they are all crowded around their televisions in Samoa, Tonga, Fiji et.al. and those teams are giving it to the so-called `big ` nations, don`t you worry it will grow the game both in their home nations i.e. nationally and in turn internationally.

The problem is that even if rugby league becomes the most watched, most popular sport in Tonga and Samoa there is still no certainty that players from there country will get picked to play. Tongan and Samoan  national teams in all sports are made mostly of born and raised players, every sport expect rugby league.

It makes wonder should these Tongan and Samoan sides play for the likes of the Maori and indigenous teams, It would give an opportunity for all players of heritage including the likes Payne haas and Tino Fa’asuamalueai who play for Australia to represent there culture. 

12 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

No Not at all the international game would thrive under those rules, Having countries play with player from there actually country believe it or not would be good for the game, who would’ve thought.

And besides Rugby league is sitting on two gold mines right now, Firstly Papua New Guinea they have a bigger player base then Australia and every other country in the world. Politics aside there is massive potential for them to become one of the best teams in the world one day.

Secondly France, France used to be a powerhouse nation who defeated the likes of Australia and Great Britain on the regular, If they can back to that standard with the work from Luc Lacoste we could have another powerhouse rugby league nation on our hands.

Not to mention the likes of Fiji and Wales who also have the youth systems to produce a large amount of first grade players.

You are putting way too much hope on the french emergence that would probably never happen and PNG as well. If we go by the rules your going with. Origin would take all the island players and no one would be committed to the islands. Samoa and Tonga would be struggling to field a team at all. You also got to remember back in the day when the french we're dominant there were no pacific islanders present playing the game. Right now most of them are stars of the game. There are more Pacific Islanders living in nz and Australia than in the islands alone. As a example, Joseph Suaali'i grandparents are still living in samoa and I won't be surprised if they paid for Suali'is Dads fare when he was young to go and live in Australia for a better life like most Pacific Islanders who live there now. This one sided view of represent where you're born is so black and white.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mojo said:

You are putting way too much hope on the french emergence that would probably never happen and PNG as well. If we go by the rules your going with. Origin would take all the island players and no one would be committed to the islands. Samoa and Tonga would be struggling to field a team at all. You also got to remember back in the day when the french we're dominant there were no pacific islanders present playing the game. Right now most of them are stars of the game. There are more Pacific Islanders living in nz and Australia than in the islands alone. As a example, Joseph Suaali'i grandparents are still living in samoa and I won't be surprised if they paid for Suali'is Dads fare when he was young to go and live in Australia for a better life like most Pacific Islanders who live there now. This one sided view of represent where you're born is so black and white.

First of all the French resurgence happening as we speak in the next 5 years they will most likely be one of the best teams in the world and have a fully professional competition but that’s another argument.

The problem I have is that is international sport is about players playing for the country always was always will be but when I look at rugby league, Practically no none of these players are playing for there country. Which is all well and good and they should be allowed to that but it shouldn’t correlate with the international game.

Thats why I think it would be much suited for them to play against the Maori and indigenous sides, it would also give the opportunity to all players  to represent there culture including the likes who play for aus/nz Payne haas and Isaiah Papali’i for example. Imagine how good a Cook Islands heritage team would be Tapine, Manu, Holmes, just to name a few.

3 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

What since when he just pledge his allegiance to Australia like a week ago.

It's been confirmed on the samoan official league page that he's pledged his alliance samoa. And it's shared by the samoan players too so that's definitely a sign he's committed 

1 minute ago, Mojo said:

It's been confirmed on the samoan official league page that he's pledged his alliance samoa. And it's shared by the samoan players too so that's definitely a sign he's committed 

I’ve just read the article on zerotackle it says he’s considering but no final decision has been made yet. If he does play for Samoa that’s just stupid that he would go out and commit to Australia and then change his mind a week later.

7 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I’ve just read the article on zerotackle it says he’s considering but no final decision has been made yet. If he does play for Samoa that’s just stupid that he would go out and commit to Australia and then change his mind a week later.

Surely your not surprised after Paulo and Suali'i did the same thing

5 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Sorry Taulagi is confirmed for samoa he's pledged his alliance. But Nanai is considering it and looks more like he would be playing for samoa. Sorry for the confusion

I honestly Taulagi has a higher chance at being an Aussie starting  winger then Samoan. All these eligibility changes this close to tournament are stupid this should have been sorted out months ago.

23 hours ago, Dunbar said:

You think all those are World Class players?

Sportsbet in Aus have released the first odds for the England v Samoa game with England currently slight favourites:

England ($1.77) vs Samoa ($2.05)

Yeah these blokes know nothing and I expect those odds to narrow if not reverse as the Samoan squad takes shape. But seriously, as I said yesterday, it will be the speed with what the NRL based Samoan players play the game that will be the problem for England. And that will worsen as the game goes on. The fact that a plodder like Brodie Croft can get Man of Steel say a lot. Milford isn`t the disorganised numpty that some make him out, the slower paced game will suit him, and Laui, well he could just tear England to shreds. They could be a lot better pairing than you give them credit for. And as some of those weapons in the backline. Very dangerous.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

Sportsbet in Aus have released the first odds for the England v Samoa game with England currently slight favourites:

England ($1.77) vs Samoa ($2.05)

Yeah these blokes know nothing and I expect those odds to narrow if not reverse as the Samoan squad takes shape. But seriously, as I said yesterday, it will be the speed with what the NRL based Samoan players play the game that will be the problem for England. And that will worsen as the game goes on. The fact that a plodder like Brodie Croft can get Man of Steel say a lot. Milford isn`t the disorganised numpty that some make him out, the slower paced game will suit him, and Laui, well he could just tear England to shreds. They could be a lot better pairing than you give them credit for. And as some of those weapons in the backline. Very dangerous.

So the speed of the Samoan game will be a problem for England but the slower paced game will suit Milford.

Got it, that's not contradictory in any way at all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris