The World Cup

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

I'm interested to know what everyone thinks would happen if Samoa beat England. 

Would the press destroy England? 

Would the fans riot in the streets?

Would anyone care?

This is a close 50/50 game with maybe home advantage just tipping it to England. Nobody would be surprised which ever team won it. What a great way to start the tournament. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

Would anyone care?

All depends on what happens after.

If England started with a defeat then it would be an absolute statement of how strong the competition is.  Whether they would be slated in the press/fans would be down to the performance and the score.

But after that, if England finish 2nd in the Group and go out to Tonga in the Q's then there would be plenty of noise.

But a win against Tonga and rematch with Samoa would be huge.

Plenty of variables for what should be a fascinating tournament. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

Would anyone care?

Yes , I’d riot in the street and noone would care . They’d just look out and say ‘ oh it’s him . Just ignore him , he’ll get bored and go in for supper ‘ 

• Haha 2

I would riot.  But going all the way to the street is a hassle.  I would probably just throw something out of the window.

• Haha 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

26 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would riot.  But going all the way to the street is a hassle.  I would probably just throw something out of the window.

Reckless and irresponsible!

A high minded, responsible person would just throw something at the telly. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Reckless and irresponsible!

A high minded, responsible person would just throw something at the telly. 

a cushion? - why hasn't Anthony Milford been mentioned for over half a page in this thread? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

a cushion? - why hasn't Anthony Milford been mentioned for over half a page in this thread? 

Because our Australian friends seem to think he is world class now for some reason.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Because our Australian friends seem to think he is world class now for some reason.

well, that's for him to show everybody on the world stage soon - only time will tell 

9 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

well, that's for him to show everybody on the world stage soon - only time will tell 

That's very magnanimous of you Johnny when you have stated very clearly that you think some of the English players are not international standard (Tomkins, Whitehead, Williams).

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's very magnanimous of you Johnny when you have stated very clearly that you think some of the English players are not international standard (Tomkins, Whitehead, Williams).

Tomkins was many years ago- Whitehead was a couple of years ago- Williams never was and never will be 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

Tomkins was many years ago- Whitehead was a couple of years ago- Williams never was and never will be 

And Milford?

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

And Milford?

not proved to be word class so far by a long chalk - the world stage is approaching, and any player can enhance or reinstate their reputations on this stage - it's up to them

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

not proved to be word class so far by a long chalk - the world stage is approaching, and any player can enhance or reinstate their reputations on this stage - it's up to them

Yep, pretty magnanimous to state that any player can reinstate their reputations while simultaneously affirming that Williams never was and never will be world class.

Well, magnanimous or hypocritical.  One or the other.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yep, pretty magnanimous to state that any player can reinstate their reputations while simultaneously affirming that Williams never was and never will be world class.

Well, magnanimous or hypocritical.  One or the other.

ok - any player but "one trick, worked out " Williams then 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I want to change the subject

Tonga’a Halfbacks, With Hingano and staggs injured Tonga’s depth at halfback is very weak they only named 3 halfbacks in an entire 38 man squad(not including Staggs).

Lolohea is Very Good and will be one of  Tonga’s most important players at the world cup, Amone is good too But his kicking game is quite average and doesn’t offer much more than his running game. The only other player they have is 18 year old isiaya Katoa who looks very talented and plays a similar game to Talatau Amone, but he has only just made his nsw cup debut and I doubt he will be able to adjust to international level that easily.

I’ve been searching for a while and the only other guy who could play in the halves for Tonga would Samisoni Langi and he is mostly a centre but can cover 5/8 if needed.

It will certainly be a big worry especially if they have any injuries, let me now if there’s any obvious players that I’m forgetting but I’m pretty sure there is none.

John Asiata is one guy I thought they might reach out to. For a big guy who normally plays up front, he's quite handy skill-wise as well. He'd do a job alongside Lolohea IMO.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, UTK said:

Milf has a 50% win rate for Samoa, those wins have come against PNG, the CIs and France. 

He's an okay 5/8 now, was an absolute superstar fullback when he burst onto the scene and a brilliant 5/8 during the early stages of his Brisbane tenure - nothing he's done since has even remotely resembled that player but he's a competent first-grade 5/8. 

He has never and will never be a passable first-grade halfback, pairing him with another 6 in Nikorima was the start of his demise at Brisbane and he never recovered - he's also a terrible defender as he's as lazy as they come. Luai is a great player but we face the same problem for Samoa here, it's why I'd be very tempted to start with Mason Lino as the 7, Samoa don't need any of the spark that Milford could potentially provide but they do need someone who can play the halfback role competently.

Luai the fizz and dazzle; Lino the game control and goal-kicking.

I like the look of that pair and would certainly go with them. I'd have the Milf on the bench.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pulga said:

Would anyone care?

Unfortunately I imagine England would get pretty slated by the press especially by the ‘casual’ supporters and the wider national media as they would view it similar to rugby Union whereby if the union side lost to Samoa it would be a catastrophe. Which is totally unfair as this is a legitimate team they are up against.

A lot of the UK media don’t have the knowledge of this Samoan team so subsequently won’t appreciate the challenge.

For Englands sake in obtaining the support of the wider UK sporting public, they really need to win this.

One would imagine that Shaun Lane has punched his boarding pass for the ship over with his performance for Parra today. 

Outstanding shift from him. Class and commitment!

That is one of the most resolute and dogged team performances I've seen in a while. NQ looked to be running downhill. I felt the dam had to break at some point. And yet, Parra stuck in it by the skin of their teeth.

I might have Lane at left edge for Australia. I think he's had a huge end to his season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

One would imagine that Shaun Lane has punched his boarding pass for the ship over with his performance for Parra today. 

That is one of the most resolute and dogged team performances I've seen in a while. NQ looked to be running downhill. I felt the dam had to break at some point. And yet, Parra stuck in it by the skin of their teeth.

I might have Lane at left edge for Australia. I think he's had a huge end to his season.

He’s been in tremendous form . He’s looked like doing something every time he gets the ball for weeks now 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Very good player and wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Aus squad along with Hudson Young as bolter back rowers. Lot of competition in there though.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Very good player and wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Aus squad along with Hudson Young as bolter back rowers. Lot of competition in there though.

TBH I'd have them both in the Aussie squad. 

• Like 1

Just wondering.  Did anyone here sign up to be a World Cup volunteer and get the nod to be involved?

I signed up but I didnt get called up.  Probably as I live in London (Harry's favourite place) and so they were looking for people in other locations.  Either that or they didn't like what they saw!

I have my tickets for the the Emirates game now so wouldn't want to do anything on that day now.

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Just wondering.  Did anyone here sign up to be a World Cup volunteer and get the nod to be involved?

I signed up but I didnt get called up.  Probably as I live in London (Harry's favourite place) and so they were looking for people in other locations.  Either that or they didn't like what they saw!

I have my tickets for the the Emirates game now so wouldn't want to do anything on that day now.

Signed up and heard nothing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Signed up and heard nothing

Same.  They must have had enough I guess.