The World Cup

I'm not sure if I'm reading into this too much but Lomax doesn't seem super confident that he'll line up at the WC.

“I don’t know decision-wise what’s going on with that,” Lomax insisted. “I’ll speak to the medical team and everyone will review over the next few days. Obviously we’ll go from there, but in the meantime that won’t be on my mind, it will be to celebrate our incredible achievement.”

Would be really unfortunate if he had to be ruled out.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, for me it remains the area where Australia are still a long way ahead of England - not necessarily the short attacking kicks into the in goal that force a try or repeat set (Welsby, Lomax, Williams are pretty strong there) but the attacking bombs with players gaining possession under pressure 2 or 3 metres from their own line. 

Cleary can land these perfectly time and again for the full 80 and it leads to Penrith winning the grind.  Our kicking game offers much better quality possession to the opposition, starting around the 20 metres each time.

That really starts to add up over the full match and a key to Australian teams finishing strong.

If I were Wane I would spend a disproportionate amount of time in preperation on the execution of the tactical kicking game.

I’ve fairly impressed with Hastings kicking game this year. He also definitely has the size and strength to able kick an effective bomb. England should get as much training in for him as possible for the World Cup kicks off.

I’ve also been thinking, Hastings could play hooker,  an England spine of Tomkins, Lomax, Williams and Hastings would be class.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Legend said:

Anyone know when Wane will be annoncing his squad? I've tried looking but I kind find anything? 

Probably in the next few days I would think. Supposedly all squads were meant to be announced on the 24th but that didn’t happen. Also Mal Meninga said he would be announcing he’s squad on Monday next week.

2 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Probably in the next few days I would think. Supposedly all squads were meant to be announced on the 24th but that didn’t happen. Also Mal Meninga said he would be announcing he’s squad on Monday next week.

Thanks for the reply. 

I was expecting either today or tomorrow, international squads have usually been announced straight after the Grand final in recent, previous years. 

With the lack of rep games since the last World Cup due to Covid and such it seems like we're going into the World Cup in a brand new era and not much experience at the international level. It'll be interesting to see how Wane tackles it. Will he pick some of the older experienced well capped lads like Hall, Watkins and Hill? Or will he give the inexperienced lads the platform and chance to make a name for themselves? 

2 minutes ago, The Legend said:

Thanks for the reply. 

I was expecting either today or tomorrow, international squads have usually been announced straight after the Grand final in recent, previous years. 

With the lack of rep games since the last World Cup due to Covid and such it seems like we're going into the World Cup in a brand new era and not much experience at the international level. It'll be interesting to see how Wane tackles it. Will he pick some of the older experienced well capped lads like Hall, Watkins and Hill? Or will he give the inexperienced lads the platform and chance to make a name for themselves? 

I would say England should chose a good mix of youth and experience. England have a big advantage over most nations as they have dozens of players with over 300 games first grade experience.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I would say England should chose a good mix of youth and experience. England have a big advantage over most nations as they have dozens of players with over 300 games first grade experience.

I don’t think the overall intensity of the super league will benefit  England players at all. I’d expect Australia to run away with it.  I think wane will try to match the Aussies and play them at their own game. When he should take a leaf out of peet’s or rowleys book and beat them on the edges and pick a squad accordingly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Legend said:

Anyone know when Wane will be annoncing his squad? I've tried looking but I kind find anything? 

Friday I think.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Supposedly all squads were meant to be announced on the 24th but that didn’t happen.

I think the 24th was when the squads had to be officially submitted rather than announced. And I seem to remember seeing that Shaun Wane would be announcing the England squad on the 30th.

28 minutes ago, UTK said:

Samoa is announcing their squad at 10am tomorrow down here.

I think that's gonna be the most anticipated squad announcement. I think they've pretty much locked everyone in except for Nanai. Who keeps changing his mind every week lol

1 hour ago, WN83 said:

Just read a report saying Sneyd is in the training squad and the full squad will be confirmed on Friday. It sounds like there’s a few things to work through regarding availability of guys like Lomax and Farrell. 

I would very much like to see Sneyd in the squad.  He brings a long, tactical kicking game that none of the other half options do.  I think he would be a good partner for either Williams or Lomax.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Apparently he has now confirmed his playing for Australia. But he did say that last week too so I don’t know

Exactly! That's why I said he keeps changing his mind. I know Tinos committed to the kangaroos. It would've been nice if he played samoa he could be missing out on something special if the Samoans do well

1 minute ago, Mojo said:

I stopped reading when I saw Xavier Coates name in both teams. No way he gets picked 

Opinion seems to be that Addo Carr is out of favour. Who would be your pick for the wing spots? I think if part of your game plan revolves around kicking to your wingers within the opposition 20, Coates would fit the bill better than most.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, Mojo said:

Do you think Mal will get the "but he told me he's committed??" Look when he see's the samoa team list? 😂😂😂

My prediction for the squad

Suaalii

Staines

Nofoaluma

To’o

May

Crichton

Tago

Seve

Luai

Milford

Harris-Tavita

Papalii

taupau

paulo

leniu

molo

afoa

lino

brown

su’a

leilua

tualagi

may

aloiai

• Like 1

Just now, EastLondonMike said:

Opinion seems to be that Addo Carr is out of favour. Who would be your pick for the wing spots? I think if part of your game plan revolves around kicking to your wingers within the opposition 20, Coates would fit the bill better than most.

Really we’re did you hear that from. He’s was exceptional last night I would think he would be a gurranteed starter. Him and Cobbo I think will be the wings or possibly Holmes if they wanted to start wighton.