The World Cup

40 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Luke Keary and Richie Myler in the Ireland squad.  As is Harry Rushton and James Bentley. 

James Bentley, Richie Myler (Leeds Rhinos), Kenan Brand, Ed Chamberlain (Leigh Centurions), Liam Byrne, James McDonnell (Wigan Warriors), Josh Cook (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Frankie Halton, George King (capt), Louis Senior (Hull KR), James Hasson (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Jaimin Jolliffe (Gold Coast Titans), Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters), Joe Keyes (Halifax Panthers), Toby King, Robbie Mulhern (Warrington Wolves), Ben Mathiou (Featherstone Rovers), Ronan Michael, Brendan O'Hagan (York City Knights), Dan Norman (St Helens), Henry O'Kane (West Tigers), Harry Rushton, Innes Senior (Huddersfield Giants), Michael Ward (Batley Bulldogs).

Wow.

51 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Luke Keary and Richie Myler in the Ireland squad.  As is Harry Rushton and James Bentley. 

James Bentley, Richie Myler (Leeds Rhinos), Kenan Brand, Ed Chamberlain (Leigh Centurions), Liam Byrne, James McDonnell (Wigan Warriors), Josh Cook (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Frankie Halton, George King (capt), Louis Senior (Hull KR), James Hasson (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Jaimin Jolliffe (Gold Coast Titans), Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters), Joe Keyes (Halifax Panthers), Toby King, Robbie Mulhern (Warrington Wolves), Ben Mathiou (Featherstone Rovers), Ronan Michael, Brendan O'Hagan (York City Knights), Dan Norman (St Helens), Henry O'Kane (West Tigers), Harry Rushton, Innes Senior (Huddersfield Giants), Michael Ward (Batley Bulldogs).

Only 1 Irish Player in the team which is very poor. They should have the least domestic players in the competition unless Italy somehow select 0 but I don’t think they will because Celerino will most likely be in the team.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Only 1 Irish Player in the team which is very poor. They should have the least domestic players in the competition unless Italy somehow select 0 but I don’t think they will because Celerino will most likely be in the team.

Who are you counting as the only Irish Player in the Irish squad?

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

When you get around to it, can you do the same to the Samoan & Tongan squad? 😉

Samoa have 2 Samoan born players Stephen Crichton and Kelma tuilagi

The Tonga squad hasn’t been announced yet But Tongan born players Taniela Otukolo, Eliesa Katoa and Konrad Hurrell all should make it.

Greece have 8 Greek born players

Jamaica have 6

Scotland Has 4

and Lebanon has 2 

The other squads haven’t been announced yet but predictions would be

Italy - 1 Domestic player (Gioele Celerino)

Cook islands - 2 Players Kayal Iro and Tepai Moeroa

the Welsh squad should be around 50-60% domestic players so should Fijis squad.

All of the other nations are almost entirely made up of born and raised players.

From my calucations approximately 42% of all players playing at the world are playing for the nation they come from. For reference union is over 75%, still a long way to go but good signs especially from the likes of Greece and Jamaica.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No Josh Curran or Sam Wood is a pity. Strong squad in many areas, albeit lacking in home-grown talent. If Myler or Josh Cook go down, there could be a problem. Not a lot of depth for hooker or FB.

My predicted 17:

1. MYLER

2. CHAMBERLAIN

3. BRAND

4. KING

5. SENIOR

6. KEARY

7. KEYES

8. BYRNE

9. COOK (unfamiliar with him but there seems to be a dearth of other hooking options)

10. NORMAN

11. BENTLEY

12. RUSHTON

13. KING

14. MULHERN

15. JOLLIFFE

16. HALTON

17. O'HAGAN

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I like the Ackers pick. He's been fantastic this season.

I wouldn't have Hardaker or Marshall.

I'd have Young and Smithies in there. I know Smithies' form has been patchy. I just feel he'd rise to the occasion.

I'd have Harry Smith in there too.

51 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

No Josh Curran or Sam Wood is a pity. Strong squad in many areas, albeit lacking in home-grown talent. If Myler or Josh Cook go down, there could be a problem. Not a lot of depth for hooker or FB.

My predicted 17:

1. MYLER

2. CHAMBERLAIN

3. BRAND

4. KING

5. SENIOR

6. KEARY

7. KEYES

8. BYRNE

9. COOK (unfamiliar with him but there seems to be a dearth of other hooking options)

10.JOLLIFFE

11. BENTLEY

12. RUSHTON

13. KING

14. MULHERN

15. NORMAN

16. HALTON

17. O'HAGAN

If this is the Irish squad is LMS not in this time?

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Talk of Sneyd and Smith being in the squad. Williams is a shoe-in. Does that Lomax is out? Hope not and he’s picking 4 halves. 

I think that would be a blow . Sneyd has a good kicking game and Smith is neat and tidy , but Lomax has that xfactor they don’t and we’ll need in spades 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think that would be a blow . Sneyd has a good kicking game and Smith is neat and tidy , but Lomax has that xfactor they don’t and we’ll need in spades 

He could pick 3 with Tomkins as an option for the halfs if need be.

31 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

If this is the Irish squad is LMS not in this time?

It would appear he's out.

Ireland looking strong up-front. That middle rotation can match it with pretty much anyone outside the Tier 1 teams IMO.

The hooker and backs are adequate but if I was the Ireland coach I'd be ploughing a furrow down the middle third and getting Keary scooting with Myler supporting. I think Ireland's forwards are going to be their route to victory.

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

My predicted 17:

1. MYLER

2. CHAMBERLAIN

3. BRAND

4. KING

5. SENIOR

6. KEARY

7. KEYES

8. BYRNE

10.JOLLIFFE

11. BENTLEY

12. RUSHTON

13. KING

14. MULHERN

15. NORMAN

16. HALTON

17. O'HAGAN

I'll give Ireland a watch this time, interested to see how Keary goes. Hopefully Micheal gets a few games and isn't just taken for the sake of it like Casey Dunne. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

I'll give Ireland a watch this time, interested to see how Keary goes. Hopefully Micheal gets a few games and isn't just taken for the sake of it like Casey Dunne. 

I'd say Michael will be in squad for the Jamaica game at least.

Yeah, I'm kind of intrigued to see how Keary goes.

The strongest aspects of the team I think are the big boys. Good props in Byrne, Jolliffe, Mulhern, Norman, Ward and uncompromising, hard-working, talented second-rows and loosies in the likes of Bentley, Rushton, Halton, Hasson and King.

Great to see Hasson there! A long-standing servant, who has paid his own way over in the past for Euro cup games and qualifiers. I hope he gets a game or two.

I fancy this squad to get second in the group.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Mostly ok.

He has ignored Radley - no doubt because of the Aussie accent.  I would have him in in a flash.

And no Young who I think is 100% now he is not in the Jamaican squad.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris