The World Cup

I’d have Oledzki , Burgess and Thompson as certainties . Sutton is very solid so I’m ok with him . There’s a drop off then and you see the huge hole Walmsley leaves . Much as I want to downplay it this miss could be very very damaging .Schoey’s picked Lees but Im not sold on him tbh . If it’s five props I’d be looking elsewhere . 

Bateman , Whitehead and Batchelor I’m ok with . I’m not sold on Currie at present . If Watkins is in I wouldn’t be picking him as a centre , he could get in here . I like KPP personally but he’ll probably give way to a McMeekin .

I’m 100% not picking McIlorum . Ackers I like mind . Clark is a good player hiding away lately so I may stick with him . This isn’t a strong area as it was . Radley is a good option here to fit in . 

Welsby and Tomkins ok , I’m not averse to Tomkins as a half option .

Makinson and Young certainties . Marshall has done well but whether he’s an international , not sure . I’m gutted Johnstone’s out . I definitely am not going back to Hall .

Farnworth and Percival ok . Newman is a blow . Williams , Lomax will be in then it’s a bit open and a bit of a drop off . Knowles and Radley strong options at 13. 

We’ve took some hits , and overall have a good starting line up or but will struggle if we cop more injuries or pull outs 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We’ve took some hits , and overall have a good starting line up or but will struggle if we cop more injuries or pull outs 

Don't look at the news.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

It would appear he's out.

Ireland looking strong up-front. That middle rotation can match it with pretty much anyone outside the Tier 1 teams IMO.

The hooker and backs are adequate but if I was the Ireland coach I'd be ploughing a furrow down the middle third and getting Keary scooting with Myler supporting. I think Ireland's forwards are going to be their route to victory.

Thats a shame - very good player to have in your team- well you don't play for saints for 10 years unless you are.

35 minutes ago, DavidM said:

On 360 they had a discussion about Alex Johnston and Buzz had him as a Kangaroo winger and Kent said he basically just catches it and falls over the line and was about 7th choice

Johnston isn't even eligible for Australia at the WC but it does not surprise me that Buzz isn't aware of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, UTK said:

Johnston isn't even eligible for Australia at the WC but it does not surprise me that Buzz isn't aware of that.

Edit.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

On 360 they had a discussion about Alex Johnston and Buzz had him as a Kangaroo winger and Kent said he basically just catches it and falls over the line and was about 7th choice

Why don’t people understand he can’t play for the kangaroo’s as he’s already played for PNG this year. The journalists a meant to be “experts” yet they don’t know the rules.

• Like 1

Wow I’ve just woken up to the news that Percival and Lomax are out, truly heartbreaking stuff for England. That’s Walmsley, Lomax, Farrell, Percival, Hodgson and Johnstone who are all missing for the World Cup. You’d like to think it can’t get any worse but who knows. 

Edit- and Newman

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Wow I’ve just woken up to the news that Percival and Lomax are out, truly heartbreaking stuff for England. That’s Walmsley, Lomax, Farrell, Percival, Hodgson and Johnstone who are all missing for the World Cup. You’d like to think it can’t get any worse but who knows. 

Edit- and Newman

And this is why we have to decide whether we are a club based sport or a sport that involves a serious international element, because Rugby League, long seasons and international windows do not go. Like it or not the game is far too taxing on both body and mind.

Interesting to see IMG calling for a 22 week season (something I wholeheartedly agree with) after saying they had consulted with the NRL and then NRL announcing their longest season ever. As bloody usual doesn`t seem like a whole lot of co-operation.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Only 1 Irish Player in the team which is very poor. They should have the least domestic players in the competition unless Italy somehow select 0 but I don’t think they will because Celerino will most likely be in the team.

I thought the Irish RL had made a big song and dance about how they'd pick quite a few domestic players ???

Shame they haven't put at least 3 or 4 in …

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

I thought the Irish RL had made a big song and dance about how they'd pick quite a few domestic players ???

Shame they haven't put at least 3 or 4 in …

There needs to be some sort of incentive for teams to select domestic players or they should make a rule we’re every squad must include at least 4-6 domestic players.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Samoa have 2 Samoan born players Stephen Crichton and Kelma tuilagi

The Tonga squad hasn’t been announced yet But Tongan born players Taniela Otukolo, Eliesa Katoa and Konrad Hurrell all should make it.

Greece have 8 Greek born players

Jamaica have 6

Scotland Has 4

and Lebanon has 2 

The other squads haven’t been announced yet but predictions would be

Italy - 1 Domestic player (Gioele Celerino)

Cook islands - 2 Players Kayal Iro and Tepai Moeroa

the Welsh squad should be around 50-60% domestic players so should Fijis squad.

All of the other nations are almost entirely made up of born and raised players.

From my calucations approximately 42% of all players playing at the world are playing for the nation they come from. For reference union is over 75%, still a long way to go but good signs especially from the likes of Greece and Jamaica.

When people use the term domestic players they usually mean the player comes from that country’s league system. Not just that they are born there. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

When people use the term domestic players they usually mean the player comes from that country’s league system. Not just that they are born there. 

I know, they come from the countries league system hence why I said domestic. I didn’t say domestic for the Samoan born players though because they don’t, what’s you’re point.

6 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Does anyone know what the Fiji squad is. They’ve literally arrived in England however the squad still hasn’t been announced it’s incredibly strange.

We could ask customs?

Presumably waiting on final call after NRL final.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Italy have followed suit with other countries in carrying a selection of domestic players into the RLWC:

Daniel Atkinson (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Nathan Brown (Parramatta Eels), Joseph Tramontana (Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles), Cooper Johns (Melbourne Storm), Ryan King (Whitehaven), Jake Maizen (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Luca Moretti (Parramatta Eels), Luke Polselli (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Jack Campagnolo (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Alec Susino (Penrith Panthers), Luke Hodge (Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles), Kyle Pickering (Cronulla Sharks), Jack Colovatti (Parramatta Eels), Ethan Natoli (Newtown Jets), Rinaldo Palumbo (London Broncos), Nicholas Tilburg (Wentworthville), Giole Celerino (Racing St Gaudens), Simone Boscolo (RC Salon XIII), Giordano Arena (Catania Bulls), Ippolito Occhialini (Lignano Sharks), Alex Rojatto (Lignano Sharks), Dean Parata (London Broncos), Brendan Santi (Keighley Cougars), Anton Iaria (Barrow Raiders), Richard Lepori (Swinton Lions)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, UTK said:

Italy have followed suit with other countries in carrying a selection of domestic players into the RLWC:

Daniel Atkinson (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Nathan Brown (Parramatta Eels), Joseph Tramontana (Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles), Cooper Johns (Melbourne Storm), Ryan King (Whitehaven), Jake Maizen (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Luca Moretti (Parramatta Eels), Luke Polselli (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Jack Campagnolo (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Alec Susino (Penrith Panthers), Luke Hodge (Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles), Kyle Pickering (Cronulla Sharks), Jack Colovatti (Parramatta Eels), Ethan Natoli (Newtown Jets), Rinaldo Palumbo (London Broncos), Nicholas Tilburg (Wentworthville), Giole Celerino (Racing St Gaudens), Simone Boscolo (RC Salon XIII), Giordano Arena (Catania Bulls), Ippolito Occhialini (Lignano Sharks), Alex Rojatto (Lignano Sharks), Dean Parata (London Broncos), Brendan Santi (Keighley Cougars), Anton Iaria (Barrow Raiders), Richard Lepori (Swinton Lions)

Wow I’m incredibly pleased by the amount of domestic players selected. Italy could have easily selected 5 aussies who play Ron Massey cup or A grade but instead they’ve gone for domestic players Fantasic work, they deserve a round of applause. Hopefully Ireland takes note of this.

also good to see Cooper johns there.

• Like 2

Domestic Born Player Percentage for announced Squads and predictions for unannounced-

England - 91.7%

Samoa - 8.3%

France - 91.7%

Greece - 28%

Scotland - 16.7%

Italy - 21%

Ireland - 4.2%

Lebanon - 8.3%

Jamaica - 25%

Predictions-

Australia - 95%

Fiji - 55-65%

New Zealand - 95-100%

Tonga - 8-12%

Papua New Guinea - 75%

Wales 50-60 %

Cook Islands 8.3%

It is a massive improvement from last World Cup which is great.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Thanks 3

It seems most nations this World Cup have raised the game from selecting 1 maybe domestic players World Cup to 4-6. Expect Ireland, Samoa and probably Tonga. Really good signs though and I’m incredibly impressed with Greece, Jamaica and Italy they could’ve easily Selected 1-2 domestic players but they did the right thing and I applaud that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ll caveat this by saying I don’t know which sides the outside backs usually play on, but a stab at NZ’s starting 13:

1. Manu

2. Rapana

3. Hiku

4. Kris

5. Mulitalo

6. Brown

7. Hughes

8. Leota

9. Smith

10. Asofa Solomona

11. Tapine

12. Papali’i

13. Fisher Harris

14. Waerea Hargreaves 

15. J. Bromwich

16. Nikora 

17. Foran

Comfortably the strongest pack in the competition for me, and I feel as though they’ll overrun most teams they play. Australia for sure have better backs, but in a hypothetical semi-final I’d only have it 55/45 in Oz’s favour.

Edited by The_Gun
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Squads Still to Be Announced

Australia - Monday

New Zealand - Monday

Fiji - ?

Tonga - ?

Wales - ?

Papua New Guinea - ?

Cook Islands - ?

Interestingly none of Group D have announced there squad yet.

Most likely waiting on finalisation of Aus/NZ squads to know who is still available 

• Like 1