The World Cup

7 minutes ago, UTK said:

The Koori KO is a fairly significant event here and it returns after a 3 year hiatus due to Covid so I don't think anyone would be able to convince the Indigenous players to not play in it. 

Josh Addo-Carr is playing as well, it's a pretty interesting competition because you've got 2nd grade local pub league players lining up against current Kangaroos and plenty of NRL players, highly entertaining stuff.

am sure it is great but is it worth the risks with the wc just around the corner?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

43 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

is it really sensible for Latrell Mitchell to be turning out in some indigenous tournament this weekend after complaining of a rib injury hampering his performance in the semi? apparently snubbed the dally m awards too to go partying! if i was big Mal I would have him locked in a room wrapped in cotton wool and bubble wrap 

You don't need to worry about cotton wool or bubble wrap, you just need to take his phone off him so he can't order Uber Eats or Deliveroo and get any fatter.

• Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 29/09/2022 at 16:07, StandOffHalf said:

James Bentley, Richie Myler (Leeds Rhinos), Kenan Brand, Ed Chamberlain (Leigh Centurions), Liam Byrne, James McDonnell (Wigan Warriors), Josh Cook (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Frankie Halton, George King (capt), Louis Senior (Hull KR), James Hasson (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Jaimin Jolliffe (Gold Coast Titans), Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters), Joe Keyes (Halifax Panthers), Toby King, Robbie Mulhern (Warrington Wolves), Ben Mathiou (Featherstone Rovers), Ronan Michael, Brendan O'Hagan (York City Knights), Dan Norman (St Helens), Henry O'Kane (West Tigers), Harry Rushton, Innes Senior (Huddersfield Giants), Michael Ward (Batley Bulldogs).

No Josh Curran or Sam Wood is a pity. Strong squad in many areas, albeit lacking in home-grown talent. If Myler or Josh Cook go down, there could be a problem. Not a lot of depth for hooker or FB.

My predicted 17:

1. MYLER

2. CHAMBERLAIN

3. BRAND

4. KING

5. SENIOR

6. KEARY

7. KEYES

8. BYRNE

9. COOK (unfamiliar with him but there seems to be a dearth of other hooking options)

10. NORMAN

11. BENTLEY

12. RUSHTON

13. KING

14. MULHERN

15. JOLLIFFE

16. HALTON

17. O'HAGAN

You have Chamberlain and Brand the wrong way round whilst Brand has played a couple of times at centre this season, Chamberlain has been near ever present in the centre's at Leigh and Brand has played wing moreso.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

am sure it is great but is it worth the risks with the wc just around the corner?

I think it's moreso a necessity, no doubt Mal is sweating their fitness but at the same time if Mal turned around and told Latrell/Addo-Carr that they weren't allowed to play I'd imagine his relationship with Indigenous players in the squad would suffer quite considerably.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

I'd have him at right centre or right wing before having him at fullback.

I think my Toa Samoa backline would be: The Hammer, Suaalii, Whiskey Tago Foxtrot, Crichton, To'o

Basically breaking up a backline that has good chemistry over individual stars. Tago and May have been the best center wing combo throughout the whole regular season. Most of those tries we're from Tago's individual brilliance breaking the line and May is basically a Mini Brian To'o. Why would you break that up? Suali'i at flb is the obvious choice

34 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You have Chamberlain and Brand the wrong way round whilst Brand has played a couple of times at centre this season, Chamberlain has been near ever present in the centre's at Leigh and Brand has played wing moreso.

Yeah, you could be right. Brand is a nippy, fast player. He could go well on the wing, with the assured, steady Chamberlain inside him.

20 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Basically breaking up a backline that has good chemistry over individual stars. Tago and May have been the best center wing combo throughout the whole regular season. Most of those tries we're from Tago's individual brilliance breaking the line and May is basically a Mini Brian To'o. Why would you break that up? Suali'i at flb is the obvious choice

That's just the way I'd go, to put Suaalii in the best spot as much as anything. He has played winger this year and would be alongside a gun centre in Tago.

I think the Samoa coach will go with your approach, for better or worse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Yeah, you could be right. Brand is a nippy, fast player. He could go well on the wing, with the assured, steady Chamberlain inside him.

Just speaking from expierence watching them all season, I wouldn't dismiss Brand at Fullback leaving Myler to play in the half's with Keary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just speaking from expierence watching them all season, I wouldn't dismiss Brand at Fullback leaving Myler to play in the half's with Keary.

I think Brand might be a bit small and slight to play FB. I think Myler's experience might offer a steadying hand at the back.

Brand is another option and I do like him. He's caught my eye at times with his class and opportunism, so he's one of the players I'm especially looking forward to seeing in green.

If Madge picks Jesse Bromwich instead of starting Leota and Fisher-Harris together he should be sent to the glue factory, they will kill any other set of opposition props in the World Cup - supplemented with Tapine at lock and NAS/JWH off the bench.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, UTK said:

If Madge picks Jesse Bromwich instead of starting Leota and Fisher-Harris together he should be sent to the glue factory, they will kill any other set of opposition props in the World Cup - supplemented with Tapine at lock and NAS/JWH off the bench.

Bromwich won't get any game time tbh he's been terrible this year for the storm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Bromwich won't get any game time tbh he's been terrible this year for the storm

He shouldn't but he was still starting and Captain in the mid-season test so I'm a bit worried, I understand why it would be a tough decision because he's been there for NZ for so long but his position in that 17 is indefensible.

Dolphins got fleeced picking him up for the money they did, similar thing but to a lesser extent for his brother and Kaufusi.

• Like 1

Across the four biggest games of the year, State of Origin 1, 2 & 3 and the Grand Final, Brian To'o has run for an average of 226 metres and terrorised the opposition defences.

It will be a good barometer of the game in Newcastle to see how he stands up to these monumental efforts.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Across the four biggest games of the year, State of Origin 1, 2 & 3 and the Grand Final, Brian To'o has run for an average of 226 metres and terrorised the opposition defences.

It will be a good barometer of the game in Newcastle to see how he stands up to these monumental efforts.

I think To'o might change the way wingers plays in the future. You can see the way Tylan May does it and Staines as changed his game to that style too. To'o does it consistently every game running alot of meters that props dreams of. His average career meters are 202m and his last 2 finals series average is 220m 😮

3 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Stacked team. I'm a bit worried about there backs when they face the kangaroos besides Manu but that team will be hard to stop.

Mulitalo and Rapana should hold down the wings pretty well and Hiku has had one of his best seasons ever, the other centre spot is a questionmark though - CNK, Kris, DWZ fighting for it. Interesting to see which way they go.