The World Cup

There are going to be some wonderful players on show at this World Cup.

NZ seemed to have slipped under the radar a bit with all the talk being Tonga, Samoa and Australia, but I do think the kiwis are a strong chance of winning the whole thing.

maybe they do lack a bit of genuine x-factor in the outside backs, but regardless, still look pretty strong.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

10 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

There are going to be some wonderful players on show at this World Cup.

NZ seemed to have slipped under the radar a bit with all the talk being Tonga, Samoa and Australia, but I do think the kiwis are a strong chance of winning the whole thing.

maybe they do lack a bit of genuine x-factor in the outside backs, but regardless, still look pretty strong.

Joey Manu ?

Tonga have posted a photo of their World Cup squad as currently assembled in England, 22 players are in the picture with my assumption that Soni Luke and Will Penisini are the two still remaining in Australia. One player is obscured but I think it may be Konrad Hurrell. 

The most notable exceptions here are Tui Lolohea and Addin Fonua-Blake, not that this is a definitive squad but both players would be big blows if ruled out.

The photo in question: May be an image of 15 people, people standing, outdoors and text

Predicted squad based on photo:

1. Tesi Niu
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Will Penisini
4. Siosifa Talakai
5. Sione Katoa
6. Junior Amone
7. Isaiya Katoa
8. Mo Fotuiaka
9. Siliva Havili
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Keaon Koloamatangi
12. Haumole Olakau'atu
13. Jason Taumalolo
14. Soni Luke
15. Tevita Tatola
16. Felise Kaufusi
17. David Fifita

18. Konrad Hurrell
19. Tolu Koula
20. Christian Tuipulotu
21. Moses Suli
22. Ben Murdoch-Masila
23. Agnatius Paasi
24. Taniela Otukolo

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, UTK said:

Tonga have posted a photo of their World Cup squad as currently assembled in England, 22 players are in the picture with my assumption that Soni Luke and Will Penisini are the two still remaining in Australia. One player is obscured but I think it may be Konrad Hurrell. 

The most notable exceptions here are Tui Lolohea and Addin Fonua-Blake, not that this is a definitive squad but both players would be big blows if ruled out.

The photo in question: May be an image of 15 people, people standing, outdoors and text

1. Tesi Niu
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Will Penisini
4. Siosifa Talakai
5. Sione Katoa
6. Junior Amone
7. Isaiya Katoa
8. Mo Fotuiaka
9. Siliva Havili
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Keaon Koloamatangi
12. Haumole Olakau'atu
13. Jason Taumalolo
14. Soni Luke
15. Tevita Tatola
16. Felise Kaufusi
17. David Fifita

18. Konrad Hurrell
19. Tolu Koula
20. Christian Tuipulotu
21. Moses Suli
22. Ben Murdoch-Masila
23. Agnatius Paasi
24. Taniela Otukolo

Agree if Lolohea is out, that's a bit blow. He's been a really important, underestimated player for Tonga. Not a bad team, but not as strong as they were in 2017-2019. On paper at least, Samoa is stronger for this tournament. Tonga probably have the better coach though, so it'll be interesting!

58 minutes ago, UTK said:

1. Tesi Niu
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Will Penisini
4. Siosifa Talakai
5. Sione Katoa
6. Junior Amone
7. Isaiya Katoa
8. Mo Fotuiaka
9. Siliva Havili
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Keaon Koloamatangi
12. Haumole Olakau'atu
13. Jason Taumalolo
14. Soni Luke
15. Tevita Tatola
16. Felise Kaufusi
17. David Fifita

18. Konrad Hurrell
19. Tolu Koula
20. Christian Tuipulotu
21. Moses Suli
22. Ben Murdoch-Masila
23. Agnatius Paasi
24. Taniela Otukolo

Missing Lolohea will be huge. But i have a feeling Woolfe has something up his sleeve. Soni Luke is a future star so I won't be surprised if he starts 9

2 minutes ago, UTK said:

rlwc22-kangaroos-squad-4x5.jpg?center=0.3%2C0.5&preset=photo-inline

Probably the weakest kangaroos squad I've ever seen after the samoan players left. But still good enough to win the comp. Aussies always said "we can win the comp with a 3rd string team now we get to find out lol

1 minute ago, Mojo said:

Probably the weakest kangaroos squad I've ever seen after the samoan players left. But still good enough to win the comp. Aussies always said "we can win the comp with a 3rd string team now we get to find out lol

It's on the weaker squad especially outside the top 17 but I think the first choice is a bit stronger than 2017, a couple of injuries to key players would certainly test the squad depth.

10 minutes ago, UTK said:

rlwc22-kangaroos-squad-4x5.jpg?center=0.3%2C0.5&preset=photo-inline

1 James Tedesco

2 Murray Taulagi

3 Valentine Holmes

4 Latrell Mitchell

5 Josh Addo-Carr

6 Cameron Munster

7 Nathan Cleary

8 Tino Fa'asuamaleaui

9 Harry Grant

10 Patrick Carrigan

11 Cameron Murray

12 Jeremiah Nanai

13 Isaah Yeo

14 Ben Hunt

15 Angus Crichton

16 Reuben Cotter

17 Jake Trbojevic

Solid team but very beatable

Edited by Mojo

2 minutes ago, Mojo said:

1 James Tedesco

2 Jeremiah Nanai

3 Valentine Holmes

4 Matt Burton

5 Josh Addo-Carr

6 Cameron Munster

7 Nathan Cleary

8 Tino Fa'asuamaleaui

9 Harry Grant

10 Patrick Carrigan

11 Cameron Murray

12 Jeremiah Nanai

13 Isaah Yeo

14 Ben Hunt

15 Angus Crichton

16 Reuben Cotter

17 Jake Trbojevic

Solid team but very beatable

Bold choice to play Nanai on the wing and in the second row!

Assuming you meant Latrell in the centres with Holmes on the wing, think RCG might get in ahead of Jurbo.

2 minutes ago, UTK said:

Bold choice to play Nanai on the wing and in the second row!

Assuming you meant Latrell in the centres with Holmes on the wing, think RCG might get in ahead of Jurbo.

Sorry I edited it after having a second look 🤦‍♂️😂

• Like 1

In the Australian release they named 3 players on standby as Hynes, Edwards and Cook - I wonder if these players will follow the squad across or whether it's simply waiting on the fitness of some. 

Based on the photo above it appears that Tonga have taken Taniela Otukolo, Christian Tuipulotu and Paasi as 3 players not in the 24-man squad so maybe they do get to bring 3 extras. Alternatively they may just be keeping Otukolo and Tuipulotu around the squad as players of the future.

That NZ squad is very very strong, especially in the pack and spine. I can’t see that Australian pack living with that when they inevitably meet in the semis.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously, but is there a published list of international broadcasters? Can’t find one anywhere, including the rlwc website.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously, but is there a published list of international broadcasters? Can’t find one anywhere, including the rlwc website.

This is from Wikipedia:

Broadcasting[edit]

The Rugby League World Cup announced a partnership with the International Rugby League (IRL) in July 2020. The organisations will work together on match broadcast production and the sale of global broadcast rights.[41]

In April 2019, it was reported that the digital strategy for the tournament will be led by Deloitte.[42] In May 2019, the world cup organisers announced they were looking for an esport partner to engage new audiences with the sport.[43]

Region Broadcaster Free-to-Air/
Subscription
Details
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia Foxtel (Fox League and Kayo Sports) Subscription All 61 matches across the three tournaments.[44]
Denmark Denmark
Estonia Estonia
Finland Finland
Iceland Iceland
Latvia Latvia
Lithuania Lithuania
Netherlands Netherlands
Norway Norway
Poland Poland
Sweden Sweden
Viaplay Subscription TBA[45]
France France BeIN Sports Subscription All 61 matches across the three tournaments.[46]
Sport en France Free All France men's, women's and wheelchair national team games and tournament finals.[47]
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand Spark Sport Subscription All 61 matches live across the 31 men's, 15 women's and 15 wheelchair.[48]
20px-Flag_of_Papua_New_Guinea.svg.png Papua New Guinea EM TV Free All 61 matches live across the 31 men's, 15 women's and 15 wheelchair.[49]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom BBC Free All 31 matches live on BBC One or BBC Two as well as on BBC iPlayer, Venue launch programme[50] and highlights programme[51][52]
OurLeague App Subscription All 31 matches live, exclusive post match interviews and OuRLeague highlights programme.
RugbyAM (FreeSports) Free Highlights programme and post match interviews.
United States United States FITE TV Subscription All 31 matches live on pay per view.[53]

2 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

This is from Wikipedia:

Broadcasting[edit]

The Rugby League World Cup announced a partnership with the International Rugby League (IRL) in July 2020. The organisations will work together on match broadcast production and the sale of global broadcast rights.[41]

In April 2019, it was reported that the digital strategy for the tournament will be led by Deloitte.[42] In May 2019, the world cup organisers announced they were looking for an esport partner to engage new audiences with the sport.[43]

Region Broadcaster Free-to-Air/
Subscription
Details
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia Foxtel (Fox League and Kayo Sports) Subscription All 61 matches across the three tournaments.[44]
Denmark Denmark
Estonia Estonia
Finland Finland
Iceland Iceland
Latvia Latvia
Lithuania Lithuania
Netherlands Netherlands
Norway Norway
Poland Poland
Sweden Sweden
Viaplay Subscription TBA[45]
France France BeIN Sports Subscription All 61 matches across the three tournaments.[46]
Sport en France Free All France men's, women's and wheelchair national team games and tournament finals.[47]
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand Spark Sport Subscription All 61 matches live across the 31 men's, 15 women's and 15 wheelchair.[48]
20px-Flag_of_Papua_New_Guinea.svg.png Papua New Guinea EM TV Free All 61 matches live across the 31 men's, 15 women's and 15 wheelchair.[49]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom BBC Free All 31 matches live on BBC One or BBC Two as well as on BBC iPlayer, Venue launch programme[50] and highlights programme[51][52]
OurLeague App Subscription All 31 matches live, exclusive post match interviews and OuRLeague highlights programme.
RugbyAM (FreeSports) Free Highlights programme and post match interviews.
United States United States FITE TV Subscription All 31 matches live on pay per view.[53]

So a lot of the world (Asia, South America, Canada, Pacific Islands, much of Europe) seemingly without ANY coverage … ???

3 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

Am I right in that there are 1-2 big name players missing from that squad? Just wondering but I thought they had more NRL-eligible players …

Biggest omission is probably James Segeyaro, think there's an internal politics issue there as Wesser Tenza certainly isn't in the same class.

Don't think there's really any more NRL players that are eligible but missing, Biondi-Odo from the Bulldogs is out with an ACL, Jack De Belin decided he wouldn't feel right playing for them.

• Like 1