The World Cup

23 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Picking inferior players just because they have ‘played in England’ before seems a bit silly to me. Mid October conditions/weather in England is pretty similar to June, July, August conditions/weather in New Zealand.

Not just played, but been standouts. It's not the only reason, but that familiarity is a strong thing in his favour.

In 2013, Tonga came over with a lot of big stars. Scotland topped the pool. I think local knowledge and familiarity counts for quite a bit.

Plus BMM is a beast anyway!

6 minutes ago, Mojo said:

In saying that how the hell did Konrad Hurrell make that team. Tim Lafai exposed him badly in the SL and he also looked terrible in the final struggling to catch his breath for most of the game. If he's there for a leadership role and helping the younger guys than that's a good move but I doubt he'll get any game time at the world cup

Again, Konnie is a player I would have right in the mix.

He's an emotional volcano of a leader for them, who ups his game in red. Very wise selection from Woolf IMO. He will pump up that team spirit and sense of identity and commitment so much.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

What team does he play for?

If you’re conveniently not going to answer my questions then then I’ll pass on answering yours.

I actually don’t think he’s injured and he’s just been overlooked so it looks as if people far more qualified than you and me (Kristen Wolf, Billy Slater, Queensland selectors etc) seem to strongly disagree with you.

I’ll put the ‘Ofahengaue is irreplaceable’ quote in the same delusional category as ‘It’s almost an impossible task for Samoa to beat England’ quote!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

That has too be one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever heard someone say. I’ve been to a lot of tigers games this season and if you know anything about rugby league you’ll no he is the best player on the pitch Every week take a look at his stats if you are that stupid and can’t tell for your self.

48 minutes ago, Mojo said:

I agree. Ofahengaue has been the best prop out of all the props tonga has and it wasn't even close. He wasn't good at 1 or 2 games. It was almost every single game this year for tigers. To put up those numbers playing for the tigers is even more impressive 

I reckon one day we might get a semi-coherent take out of you two but until then I love seeing the dribble you put out as it is thoroughly entertaining. 

• Addin Fonua-Blake: 153 run metres/game, 9.97m/run,  24.9 tackles/game at 96.5% efficiency, 38 tackle breaks, 11 offloads
  • Sio Siua Taukeiaho: 143 run metres/game, 9.4m/run, 26.9 tackles/game at 94% efficiency, 38 tackle breaks, 22 offloads
  • Tevita Tatola: 136 run metres/game, 8.85m/run, 26.7 tackles/game at 95.4% efficiency, 53 tackle breaks, 3 offloads
  • Mo Fotuaika: 123 run metres/game, 9.85m/run, 27 tackles/game at 96.1% efficiency, 45 tackle breaks, 15 offloads
  • Joe Ofahengaue: 122 run metres/game, 7.77m/run,  36.8 tackles/game at 92.9% efficiency, 57 tackle breaks, 33 offloads

So to summarise, he averages the least run metres, is the least effective ball carrier per run, has the worst defensive efficiency of all options yet he's somehow head and shoulders over all the above? Don't get me wrong he's a quality player who had his best season in the NRL, but dropping ridiculous claims like this does nothing but continuing to out yourselves as not having the faintest clue about the game.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

Not just played, but been standouts. It's not the only reason, but that familiarity is a strong thing in his favour.

In 2013, Tonga came over with a lot of big stars. Scotland topped the pool. I think local knowledge and familiarity counts for quite a bit.

Plus BMM is a beast anyway!

Sure but if they’re fundamentally worse players then I would be reluctant to pick them over superior players regardless of if they were standouts in SL. It’s almost like your penalising better players than BMM because they never played in SL (which is a lower standard then the NRL). 

Just seems strange to me.

20 minutes ago, UTK said:

I reckon one day we might get a semi-coherent take out of you two but until then I love seeing the dribble you put out as it is thoroughly entertaining. 

• Addin Fonua-Blake: 153 run metres/game, 9.97m/run,  24.9 tackles/game at 96.5% efficiency, 38 tackle breaks, 11 offloads
  • Sio Siua Taukeiaho: 143 run metres/game, 9.4m/run, 26.9 tackles/game at 94% efficiency, 38 tackle breaks, 22 offloads
  • Tevita Tatola: 136 run metres/game, 8.85m/run, 26.7 tackles/game at 95.4% efficiency, 53 tackle breaks, 3 offloads
  • Mo Fotuaika: 123 run metres/game, 9.85m/run, 27 tackles/game at 96.1% efficiency, 45 tackle breaks, 15 offloads
  • Joe Ofahengaue: 122 run metres/game, 7.77m/run,  36.8 tackles/game at 92.9% efficiency, 57 tackle breaks, 33 offloads

So to summarise, he averages the least run metres, is the least effective ball carrier per run, has the worst defensive efficiency of all options yet he's somehow head and shoulders over all the above? Don't get me wrong he's a quality player who had his best season in the NRL, but dropping ridiculous claims like this does nothing but continuing to out yourselves as not having the faintest clue about the game.

The stats you bought up clearly shows Ofahengaue is better lol the meters run he's behind by only a few but tackle breaks and offloads he's better than most of them. Are we judging on meters run only? Because that seems to be the only thing your comparing right now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mojo said:

Probably the weakest kangaroos squad I've ever seen after the samoan players left. But still good enough to win the comp. Aussies always said "we can win the comp with a 3rd string team now we get to find out lol

I don’t think they thought their second string would be in the comp as well when they said it. Looking at that I’d agree it’s the weakest Aussie squad I can remember plus 13 debutants seems a lot to take to a WC. 

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

I don’t think they thought their second string would be in the comp as well when they said it. Looking at that I’d agree it’s the weakest Aussie squad I can remember plus 13 debutants seems a lot to take to a WC. 

When they haven't played international in 3 years, I'm not surprised they have that many debutants

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UTK said:

In the Australian release they named 3 players on standby as Hynes, Edwards and Cook - I wonder if these players will follow the squad across or whether it's simply waiting on the fitness of some. 

Based on the photo above it appears that Tonga have taken Taniela Otukolo, Christian Tuipulotu and Paasi as 3 players not in the 24-man squad so maybe they do get to bring 3 extras. Alternatively they may just be keeping Otukolo and Tuipulotu around the squad as players of the future.

Surprised at that as Paasi has been superb at times this year. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, UTK said:

I love you conveniently forget to mention any of the other stats. Also I know your the smartest fella but do you seriously think 3% Less tackle efficiency makes any difference in a prop. Practically every nrl prop averages from 90-96% the difference in the range is less then 1 missed tackle.

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

Sure but if they’re fundamentally worse players then I would be reluctant to pick them over superior players regardless of if they were standouts in SL. It’s almost like your penalising better players than BMM because they never played in SL (which is a lower standard then the NRL). 

Just seems strange to me.

I wouldn't pick him just because he played in SL.

IMO he'd be the perfect impact back-rower to chuck on from the bench. He scores tries, runs so hard, and is a nightmare to tackle.

Anyway, I respect that everybody values different players. I'd have him in the 17 as he's somebody who can come up with big plays and impacts.

• Like 1

Ofahengaue has been playing well, but I think some people are bigging him up just a tad. For me, he was by no means a certainty to make the Tongan XXIV.

I might have gone with him over Tatola, but it's a toss-up.

• Like 1

How strong is that Tonga squad? I watch bits of the NRL but not enough to have a great deal of knowledge on every player in that squad. My first thoughts looking at it is that they don't look hugely strong in the pivot positions of halfback and hooker but I could be wrong. 

If we're considering our chances of getting through our side of the draw, I look at the Samoa squad and don't feel that confident but I don't quite get that feeling looking at that Tonga squad on paper. They look to have a load of power all over the field but you'd like to think we hold an advantage in terms of creativity and controlling the game. 

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

How strong is that Tonga squad? I watch bits of the NRL but not enough to have a great deal of knowledge on every player in that squad. My first thoughts looking at it is that they don't look hugely strong in the pivot positions of halfback and hooker but I could be wrong. 

If we're considering our chances of getting through our side of the draw, I look at the Samoa squad and don't feel that confident but I don't quite get that feeling looking at that Tonga squad on paper. They look to have a load of power all over the field but you'd like to think we hold an advantage in terms of creativity and controlling the game. 

Tonga has never looked strong in the pivotal positions. It's there forwards that does the damage to the opposition for them. I know they lost to the Kiwis mid test but they've got 2 weeks now to prepare and Woolf back as well I think they're as dangerous as any of the top nation. That forward pack for me is stronger than the last one they had at the world cup but that the last world cup they had alot of experienced forwards too such as Manu Mau and Sika Manu helping the team. But I'm pretty sure those same guys will be in camp helping the young ones out. Soni Luke is the one to watch for Tonga. He's gonna be the hooker for the panthers next year

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

The answer to the question was what I asked you. Your too dumb In brain that you can’t figure that out. 

Haha relax mate.

Let’s avoid calling people dumb, stupid etc (which i notice you do a lot of) in response to someone simply providing a different opinion to you. Especially considering that there are some very questionable posts from yourself in this very thread whereby similar name calling could be warranted.

In response to your question - So because he plays for the Tigers that’s the reason he wasn’t selected……But didn’t you say further up the thread it was because he’s  injured! Which is it?

I notice a couple of Tongan players being selected from the Warriors (who came second last) so playing for very a poor team didn’t seem to hurt their chances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I wouldn't pick him just because he played in SL.

IMO he'd be the perfect impact back-rower to chuck on from the bench. He scores tries, runs so hard, and is a nightmare to tackle.

Anyway, I respect that everybody values different players. I'd have him in the 17 as he's somebody who can come up with big plays and impacts.

Yeah fair enough. He’s a good bench option as he can play both Back Row and Prop.

I’ll be interested to see how they use David Fafita.

6 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Haha relax mate.

Let’s avoid calling people dumb, stupid etc (which i notice you do a lot of) in response to someone simply providing a different opinion to you. Especially considering that there are some very questionable posts from yourself in this very thread whereby similar name calling could be warranted.

In response to your question - So because he plays for the Tigers that’s the reason he wasn’t selected……But didn’t you say further up the thread it was because he’s  injured! Which is it?

I notice a couple of Tongan players being selected from the Warriors (who came second last) so playing for very a poor team didn’t seem to hurt their chances.

I’m talking about origin not Tonga but anyway Doesn’t matter. 

9 minutes ago, Mojo said:

The NRL not sending any reporters to the world cup makes me want Australia to lose to the Kiwis even more 🤦‍♂️

This Australian Team is arguably the worst ever. Whilst this years kiwis are easily the greatest ever kiwis side it should be a great tournament. I do tip the kiwis more though.

8 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

This Australian Team is arguably the worst ever. Whilst this years kiwis are easily the greatest ever kiwis side it should be a great tournament. I do tip the kiwis more though.

You are sounding like paul gallen in his origin declarations.

I am sure stuff like this if repeated in the media will be pasted all over aussie notice boards.

I hope prospective opponents are ready to be beaten by the “worst ever” kangaroos team

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

You are sounding like paul gallen in his origin declarations.

I am sure stuff like this if repeated in the media will be pasted all over aussie notice boards.

I hope prospective opponents are ready to be beaten by the “worst ever” kangaroos team

I didn’t say it was the was worst kangaroos team ever. I said it is arguable I personally don’t think that though.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, UTK said:

rlwc22-kangaroos-squad-4x5.jpg?center=0.3%2C0.5&preset=photo-inline

Very interesting that Tedesco (the captain of NSW) gets the captaincy while the captain of the victorious Queensland team for State of Origin this year (DCE) is overlooked for VC in favour of Cameron Murray.

Indicates that the battle for the number 7 shirt is very much on and Meninga didn't want to give the appearance of DCE being the favourite with the vice captain tag.

Still a bit of a strange one that both the captain and vide captain come from the losing SOO team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris