The World Cup

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

Have Fiji forgotten they need to name a final squad? 🤔

Yeah it’s strange earlier this year Fiji were the first team to announce a 50 man training squad. They were also the first to announce the pacific squad by a like 2 weeks and were the first to announce there World Cup extended squad. I would have thought they were the first team to name there squad but no there the last.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure how much of an issue this is. It seems bizarre that the Dsily Mail would see "governing body trying to get sponsors" is a story. England has Betfred, Ronseal and Reign as shirt sponsors, o not sure why they say we haven't found anyone else to go alongside Ronseal - we have. 

If the biggest problem we have is that we haven't got a second shorts sponsor we are doing ok.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Just Browny said:

If the biggest problem we have is that we haven't got a second shorts sponsor we are doing ok.

Yup. And apparently there will be an announcement soon anyway, so it sounds like we have. 

But, the Daily Mail wrote a nonsense gossip article, John Davidson retweeted it criticising the RFL and RL twitter prominent fans have jumped on it criticising the RFL. Some of the posts I've seen "not having any sponsors a week before the WC" are baffling. They are a tumour for the game. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure how much of an issue this is. It seems bizarre that the Dsily Mail would see "governing body trying to get sponsors" is a story. England has Betfred, Ronseal and Reign as shirt sponsors, o not sure why they say we haven't found anyone else to go alongside Ronseal - we have. 

I see it the other way. We’re probably three weeks out from a World Cup and scrambling around for sponsors. It’s Little League behaviour at its finest from The RFL. They’ve had a year (arguably longer) to sort this out and it’s this late and still nothing. It’s little wonder we’ve gone from Gillette to random, small energy drinks. 

If a club was a couple of weeks out from the season without a shirt sponsor, especially a certain few clubs, there would be hysteria on here calling for them to be relegated and fined. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jughead said:

It’s little wonder we’ve gone from Gillette to random, small energy drinks. 

If you are referring to Monster, they have an annual turnover of $6 billion.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Moving back from sponsors etc I quite like that Cook Islands squad . These squad announcements are reinforcing the point that this is gonna be the most competitive and best WC ever . Lots of games should be packed out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I see it the other way. We’re probably three weeks out from a World Cup and scrambling around for sponsors. It’s Little League behaviour at its finest from The RFL. They’ve had a year (arguably longer) to sort this out and it’s this late and still nothing. It’s little wonder we’ve gone from Gillette to random, small energy drinks. 

If a club was a couple of weeks out from the season without a shirt sponsor, especially a certain few clubs, there would be hysteria on here calling for them to be relegated and fined. 

We have shirt sponsors. 6m ago we announced Betfred to replace Dacia and Reign who replaced our shoulder sponsor. This is in addition to long term partner Ronseal. 

This hatchet job refers to a secondary short sponsor. Probably one over their *****. 

It's an asset that may or may not go sold or unsold. 

None of this is to say I don't disagree with the principle of what you say, but we have three partners, and hopefully they will announce another, I don't think there is much to criticise in this case. 

Talking about scrambling round is nonsense and playing to the crowd. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I often agree with your posts - but this nonsense does your contributions no credit. 

• Like 1

The fewer sponsor logos on national kits the better IMO.

They can be plastered on hoardings, on press releases, etc., but I prefer simple, unspoiled shirts and shorts.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

I think Penrith could have up to 15 at the World Cup.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just a bit of fun but noticed that Leigh have 8 representatives in the World Cup

Ben Nakubuwai - Fiji

Edwin Ipape, Nene Macdonald, Lachlan Lam - PNG

Keenan Brand, Ed Chamberlin - Ireland

Caleb Aekins, Luis Robert's - Wales

Does any other club have has many or more?

Thanks for the idea I’m going to have a look at that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Who are Reign? Are they under that umbrella?

Yes, they are.  I don't have any issue with England being sponsored by a brand with a $6B turnover.

Here is a list of some of the Monster sponsored athletes.  I think it is good company for Rugby League to be in... plenty of F1, Motocross, NFL and other 'cool' sports.

https://biz.opendorse.com/blog/most-influential-monster-sponsored-athletes-on-social/

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just a bit of fun but noticed that Leigh have 8 representatives in the World Cup

Ben Nakubuwai - Fiji

Good effort that . Looking forward to seeing Ipape at that level 

Fiji: Jowasa Drodrolagi, Tui Kamikamica, Vuate Karawalevu, Viliame Kikau, Apisai Koroisau, Isaac Lumelume, Pio Maisamoa Seci, Lamar Manuel-Liolevave, Netane Masima, Kaylen Miller, Sitiveni Moceidreke, Kevin Naiqama, Ben Nakubuwai, Henry Raiwalui, Joseph Ratuvakacereivalu, Mikaele Ravalawa, Taniela Sadrugu, Maika Sivo, Penioni Tagituimua, Sunia Turuva, Semi Valemei, King Vuniyayawa, Brandon Wakeham, Josh Wong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

10 hours ago, UBranger said:

Thankyou, but I would just like to buy tickets not 'first you must set up an account.' Old school I know but I'll just end up watching it on the telly .

How did you buy the tele?

Can we ban this guy?

• Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

32 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ben Nakubuwai - Fiji

Toulouse and Catalans probably have the most in Europe.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, they are.  I don't have any issue with England being sponsored by a brand with a $6B turnover.

Here is a list of some of the Monster sponsored athletes.  I think it is good company for Rugby League to be in... plenty of F1, Motocross, NFL and other 'cool' sports.

https://biz.opendorse.com/blog/most-influential-monster-sponsored-athletes-on-social/

Interesting, I didn't realise they were part of Monster. Didn't Monster sponsor us previously, so this is a rebranding of that deal?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think Penrith could have up to 15 at the World Cup.

Poor old Ivan. Pre season knackered already.

• Haha 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk