The World Cup

42 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Fiji: Jowasa Drodrolagi, Tui Kamikamica, Vuate Karawalevu, Viliame Kikau, Apisai Koroisau, Isaac Lumelume, Pio Maisamoa Seci, Lamar Manuel-Liolevave, Netane Masima, Kaylen Miller, Sitiveni Moceidreke, Kevin Naiqama, Ben Nakubuwai, Henry Raiwalui, Joseph Ratuvakacereivalu, Mikaele Ravalawa, Taniela Sadrugu, Maika Sivo, Penioni Tagituimua, Sunia Turuva, Semi Valemei, King Vuniyayawa, Brandon Wakeham, Josh Wong

Finally wow

Just for a comparison on the sponsorship thing. I've worked with some sports teams in the past where sponsors have changed or added very very late, and on more than one occasion have had to re-design and reproduce an entire teamwear and replica apparel collection due to new sponsors paying for their additional colours to be incorporated.

So these things do happen in other sports quite often, and some times in extreme ways. At the end of the day money talks.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Clubs with most Players at the World Cup-

Catalans Dragons- 17

Penrith Panthers (First Team)- 16 (19 Including Lower Grades)

Melbourne Storm- 13

South Sydney Rabbitohs- 12 (17)

Sydney Roosters- 12 (13)

Parramatta Eels- 11 (14)

St Helens- 9

Canberra Raiders- 9

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles- 9

North Queensland Cowboys- 9

Canterbury Bulldogs- 8 (10)

Toulouse Olympique- 8

Salford Red Devils- 8

Huddersfield Giants- 8

Leigh Centurions- 8

Bradford Bulls- 7

Wigan Warriors- 7

Cronulla Sharks- 7 (8)

London Broncos- 7

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Fiji: Jowasa Drodrolagi, Tui Kamikamica, Vuate Karawalevu, Viliame Kikau, Apisai Koroisau, Isaac Lumelume, Pio Maisamoa Seci, Lamar Manuel-Liolevave, Netane Masima, Kaylen Miller, Sitiveni Moceidreke, Kevin Naiqama, Ben Nakubuwai, Henry Raiwalui, Joseph Ratuvakacereivalu, Mikaele Ravalawa, Taniela Sadrugu, Maika Sivo, Penioni Tagituimua, Sunia Turuva, Semi Valemei, King Vuniyayawa, Brandon Wakeham, Josh Wong

That squad is a shell of what it could have been unfortunately, especially the forward pack. Not too bad but heaps of players not there like Blake & Milne plus those previously mentioned as injured or just sitting out like Montoya, Lovodua, Saifiti brothers & Sims brothers.

From the outside looking in it seems Fiji haven’t seemed to have the same buy in from the players that countries like Tonga & Samoa have. A lot of the players who aren’t there finished their NRL seasons so it’s safe to assume a lot of them withdrew themselves, I doubt they weren’t selected when there’s some 3rd division players in that squad.

45 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Fiji have selected a 50% domestic born squad. A bit lower than I expected but still a large improvement from last World Cup.

Blake, Montoya & Lovodua are a few who would have made the side of available which would have boosted that number a bit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Ticket sales for Aus Fiji game at Headingley are looking good, only Cat A left and theyve sold 85% of those, could be close to full capacity 

I think that relates to seats only, but you'd also expect terracing to sell ok. 

Final Domestic Born Percentages-

Group A-

England 91.67%

Samoa 8.7%

France 91.67%

Greece 29.17%

Group B-

Australia- 91.67%

Fiji- 50%

Scotland-16.67%

Italy- 16.67%

Group C-

New Zealand- 91.67%

Ireland-4.17%

Lebanon- 4.35%

Jamaica- 25%

Group D-

Tonga- 4.17%

Papua New Guinea- 75%

Wales- 50%

Cook Islands- 8.33%

• Like 1

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Even that horrible Western Terrace? 😉 

Well no, obviously not that! 😆

Although it is interesting that Leeds cheap tickets (including Western Terrace) are selling more poorly than more expensive seats. 

Compare to Bolton for example:

Cat E: sold out

Cat D : sold out

Cat C :70% sold

Cat B: 55% sold

Cat A: not mentioned

15 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Final Domestic Born Percentages-

Group A-

England 91.67%

Samoa 8.7%

France 91.67%

Greece 29.17%

Group B-

Australia- 91.67%

Fiji- 50%

Scotland-16.67%

Italy- 16.67%

Group C-

New Zealand- 91.67%

Ireland-4.17%

Lebanon- 4.35%

Jamaica- 25%

Group D-

Tonga- 4.17%

Papua New Guinea- 75%

Wales- 50%

Cook Islands- 8.33%

Which country has provided the most players for the tournament? I imagine it's probably Australia, but New Zealand and England can't be far behind. With France, PNG, Fiji, and Wales being the only other countries providing players in double figures?

Just now, Stotty said:

Which country has provided the most players for the tournament? I imagine it's probably Australia, but New Zealand and England can't be far behind. With France, PNG, Fiji, and Wales being the only other countries providing players in double figures?

Take a look at the map i posted on a new thread.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Not sure if it has been posted yet but here is the Jilaroos squad.

Some absolutely fantastic players on there.  Probably the biggest favourites in the various World Cup's.

Tamika Upton and Millie Boyle have withdrawn from the squad.

Upton with a calf injury, which robs the UK public of seeing a really exciting player.

I like Millie Boyle, one of my favourite players, but she has pulled out due to work commitments. 

If she has commitments, fair enough, but why wait a day after the squad was announced to pull out - why just not say you are not available.  Strikes me as just wanting to be announced in the squad.  Pretty poor.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Stotty said:

Sydney and Auckland predictably dominate. I'm surprised there are more players born in Widnes than Hull, though. We don't even have a hospital in Widnes.

Same I couldn’t believe there was only 1 player born in hull in the whole World Cup. Maybe Hull has a low of amount of people with Celtic heritage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JimBronco said:

Is anyone backing a team to cause a shock or two, or even win the whole thing? What about Fiji?

Unfortunately Fiji’s squad this tournament has been destroyed by injuries it’s a fraction of what it could be. Personally I’m backing PNG to cause a few upsets I reckon they beat Tonga and possibly even Samoa on a very good day. It’s very bold but Not impossible. if they stick to there game plan they can beat anyone on the there day. They’ve shown that against New Zealand and Great Britain before.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There's a youtube clip of Peacock putting Mason on his backside in Sydney. It has, what turns out to be an embrace song playing. It's a fantastic watch.

Anyway, doing some work and the song randomly comes onto my Spotify shuffle as that's what shuffles do.. Immediate and mega goosebumps and i cant explain how excited i am all of a sudden.

I'd f'ing love it to beat them in final.

A brief public announcement there.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Unfortunately Fiji’s squad this tournament has been destroyed by injuries it’s a fraction of what it could be. Personally I’m backing PNG to cause a few upsets I reckon they beat Tonga and possibly even Samoa on a very good day. It’s very bold but Not impossible. if they stick to there game plan they can beat anyone on the there day. They’ve shown that against New Zealand and Great Britain before.

Don't forget England as well 🙄 PNG can beat any of those teams on there day.  But almost everything will have to go there way for that to happen

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Don't forget England as well 🙄 PNG can beat any of those teams on there day.  But almost everything will have to go there way for that to happen

I wouldn’t say England making the final is even a shock at all. They have made 10 and won 3 plus are the host’s personally I’d be surprise if they didn’t make it. Yes the team this year isn’t the greatest because of injuries but it is still quality squad with a lot of world class players and they will be favourites against anyone bar Australia and New Zealand.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I wouldn’t say England making the final is even a shock at all. They have made 10 and won 3 plus are the host’s personally I’d be surprise if they didn’t make it. Yes the team this year isn’t the greatest because of injuries but it is still quality squad with a lot of world class players.

Sorry for the confusion I meant england can be beaten by PNG too just like samoa and Tonga. But like I said almost everything will have to be in PNG favour for that to happen