The World Cup

3 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Nah, I don't think these two legends would be that crass.

To me, it looks a very obvious riposte to a stupid decision by RLWC organisers. Organising it by captain and then by tenure in green and gold maintains a glimmer of tradition.

I agree that the numbers next to names look utterly awful. I blame the RLWC organisers/IRL for the whole debacle. I admire the Aussies for not wanting to go with the new system.

Another saddening example of terrible management by those entrusted with guarding the international game.

I'm happy to share the blame around but certainly squad numbers should never have been in the frame. 

We have what 9 days til the tournament (now that's crazy to think about), can someone at RLWC HQ please admit they've dropped the ball and renege on this, we need saving from ourselves. 

• Like 3

It’s a decent idea for training and media wear to have a squad number allocated to each player based on number of games, give players a way to work their way up the numbers throughout their International career. Clubs do similar with player numbers based on when they debuted for the club for training gear and it’s a nice touch in my opinion.

I wouldn’t even mind if It was up to each nation if they want to use squad numbers for the match day jerseys like Super League or 1-17 like NRL.

Edited by jim_57

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I think the idea of squads numbers is good as At keeps a number associated to each player for the whole tournament. However what the Aussie have done is stupid, I am fairly certain every other team is just going to name there 17 as usual.

I’m not sure why they couldn’t just use their first match against Fiji to set the squad numbers and players 20-24 get allocated the remaining numbers based on seniority.

• Like 1

We have a World Cup where we can introduce a whole new generation to the sport.

Part of falling in love with a sport is understanding it.  Understanding what the responsibilities and skills of each position are and then seeing some of the best players in the world play in that position. 

Rugby League is one of the sports where players in each position do have very specific roles.  We can use this tournament to share and educate this.

Then we throw it all out with players walking on the pitch in random numbers.  It is simply crazy.

• Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

They'd better pick all 24 players for the first game so nobody gets upset.

I don't have any problem with squad numbers being used. It is somewhat easier for me to pick out and follow certain players I am interested in if they have a predetermined number, rather than rely on hearing and remembering what is read out over the PA system on the day. What the Aussies have done here is a bit weird.

Yes, I know people hate them, but for games against teams where we maybe know some players less, it can do a job. 

The Aussies are just, well, being Aussies, aren't they? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

We have a World Cup where we can introduce a whole new generation to the sport.

Part of falling in love with a sport is understanding it.  Understanding what the responsibilities and skills of each position are and then seeing some of the best players in the world play in that position. 

Rugby League is one of the sports where players in each position do have very specific roles.  We can use this tournament to share and educate this.

Then we throw it all out with players walking on the pitch in random numbers.  It is simply crazy.

I don't disagree, I'd prefer 1 to 13, but squad numbers are used across other sports without them being trashed. Fans do understand what squad numbers are. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't disagree, I'd prefer 1 to 13, but squad numbers are used across other sports without them being trashed. Fans do understand what squad numbers are. 

One of the criticisms of Rugby League - completely unjustified of course - is that it is a 'simple' game with 26 men just running at each other all day with no brains or subtlety.

We can use a television audience for a tournament to show this isn't true and to excel in certain positions you need a very specific skills set.  Of course, we can expect the audience to remember the position of every player in every team or we could make it really easy and walk on to the pitch with a full back wearing 1 and a scrum half 7....

I am not interested in current fans - I hate squad numbers rather than positional numbers, but I will cope - I think this decision is a poor one when it comes to helping sell our sport to a new audience.  Unless we actually want that audience to think it is just 26 men running into each other.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

One of the criticisms of Rugby League - completely unjustified of course - is that it is a 'simple' game with 26 men just running at each other all day with no brains or subtlety.

We can use a television audience for a tournament to show this isn't true and to excel in certain positions you need a very specific skills set.  Of course, we can expect the audience to remember the position of every player in every team or we could make it really easy and walk on to the pitch with a full back wearing 1 and a scrum half 7....

I am not interested in current fans - I hate squad numbers rather than positional numbers, but I will cope - I think this decision is a poor one when it comes to helping sell our sport to a new audience.  Unless we actually want that audience to think it is just 26 men running into each other.

I personally think you both over-estimate and under-estimate new/casual fans. 

I think you over-estimate how much the casual follower is interested in the positions element of the sport, and we do see a lot of interchangeable play nowadays. 

And I think you underestimate the ability of those who do want to understand every detail to understand squad numbers. 

My preference in a tournament like this is 1 to 13, but it's a bit of a tradition point - I love seeing a no. 6 or no. 13 shirt, but I'm not sure it is a big issue for newer fans. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I personally think you both over-estimate and under-estimate new/casual fans. 

I think you over-estimate how much the casual follower is interested in the positions element of the sport, and we do see a lot of interchangeable play nowadays. 

And I think you underestimate the ability of those who do want to understand every detail to understand squad numbers. 

My preference in a tournament like this is 1 to 13, but it's a bit of a tradition point - I love seeing a no. 6 or no. 13 shirt, but I'm not sure it is a big issue for newer fans. 

Maybe I am.  You tend to overestimate the things you personally care about.

But when Australia walk out on to Old Trafford for the World Cup final in their crazy numbers to be refereed by a fellow Australian, I will cringe and wonder why we can't just do the simple things right to present our sport professionally. 

• Like 3

Hard to find much info on some of the warm ups but I think we have:

Friday 07/10
England V Fiji (Salford). 7:45pm. 
Jamaica V Cumbria (Workington). 7:45pm.

Saturday 08/10.  
Scotland V England Knights (Edinburgh). 1:30pm. 
France V Tonga (Halifax). 2pm.
Wales V Lebanon (Sale). 3pm. 
Greece V Bradford (Bradford). 3pm
NZ V Leeds (Leeds). 6pm. 

Any I’ve missed? Australia, Italy, PNG, Samoa, Ireland & Cook Islands going in without a warm up. Only last 3 if you count PMXIII game and Lebanon V Italy a few weeks back.

Edited by jim_57
  • Thanks 1

Whilst I do like the 1-17 for Rugby League, I can see the value in Squad numbers as they can often visually tell you about the makeup of a side and how one team are having to cope with injuries etc. 

I also don't doubt there is a financial prudency element to this, though arguably the teams that will need more than 3 sets of kits in the quarters should be able to stretch to have the 1, 2 or 3 more versions needed.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Are the Aussies just being obtuse with this? Or thick?

On the shirt numbers - I don't blame them honestly.  They shouldn't have to essentially name a preferred side before the competition starts... they haven't used squad numbers in the NRL and it would be seen as 'selecting' the preferred team if Meninga gave people the run on numbers now.

I don't think we should have squad numbers for the World Cup and I can see why Australia have said 'sod it' on this one.

• Like 1

Proper storm in a teacup stuff this squad numbers thing. We’re pretty good as a sport that we don’t have too many deviations from the ordinary positions, like you sometimes see in football (a defender at Chelsea wore 9, for example) and we had experiences of squad numbers adding up to nearly 500 towards the back end of the regular season. Let them do what they want. 

Just now, Dunbar said:

On the shirt numbers - I don't blame them honestly.  They shouldn't have to essentially name a preferred side before the competition starts... they haven't used squad numbers in the NRL and it would be seen as 'selecting' the preferred team if Meninga gave people the run on numbers now.

I don't think we should have squad numbers for the World Cup and I can see why Australia have said 'sod it' on this one.

What, they shouldn't have to sully themselves with proper squad numbers like such minnows as England, Brazil, France etc will be doing at the Football world cup this year too?

I think it will look silly, frankly. But yet again the Australians having no concern or awareness of the game outside their bubble doesn't surprise anyone.

• Like 1

What, they shouldn't have to sully themselves with proper squad numbers like such minnows as England, Brazil, France etc will be doing at the Football world cup this year too?

I think it will look silly, frankly. But yet again the Australians having no concern or awareness of the game outside their bubble doesn't surprise anyone.

Sorry, what are 'proper squad numbers'?

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Sorry, what are 'proper squad numbers'?

Where you have an ideal starting team, with everyone else following in later (some sports have ingrained ideas for those latter spots, RL seems to prefer any replacement hooker to be 14 and any replacement back to be 17, but that isn't set in stone). 

Its just like the NRL has.

Where you have an ideal starting team, with everyone else following in later (some sports have ingrained ideas for those latter spots, RL seems to prefer any replacement hooker to be 14 and any replacement back to be 17, but that isn't set in stone). 

Its just like the NRL has.

And if you don't have an ideal starting team yet?

• Like 1