The World Cup

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's interesting.  The GB squad was named with 3 to be omitted for game day.

Did they play the game with these numbers or were they 1 - 13 on the day?

Australian Kangaroo teams had squad numbers also. Reg Gasnier wore No.7 on the 1963 tour.

Had a look at the next chronological video I could find of Great Britain down under and by 1975 they were wearing positional numbers... with the Aussie numbers at the time with the loose forward wearing 8 and the front row in 11, 12 & 13.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Jeez. That suggests there is some tradition in squad numbers. 

We're gonna have to go back to the start of this debate.... 

😆

Can we at least start from after the Aussies pulled out last year, I really don't want to go through that again?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Had a look at the next chronological video I could find of Great Britain down under and by 1975 they were wearing positional numbers... with the Aussie numbers at the time with the loose forward wearing 8 and the front row in 11, 12 & 13.

Here is an interesting one from 1974 tour.

Looks as though they wore squad numbers in this game v Qld but 1-13 in tests.

Picture 2 of 2

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Jeez. That suggests there is some tradition in squad numbers. 

We're gonna have to go back to the start of this debate.... 

😆

Turns out we can put positional numbers in the same 'traditional' folder as first-past-the-post league systems.

• Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Turns out we can put positional numbers in the same 'traditional' folder as first-past-the-post league systems.

You think that more Rugby League games have been played in squad numbers than positional numbers.  I think that may be a stretch.

I have just watched the footage of Great Britain winning the first ever World Cup vs. France and Great Britain were playing in 1 to 13.

I am going to stick with traditional being on the side of those favouring the positional numbers in this debate.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You think that more Rugby League games have been played in squad numbers than positional numbers.  I think that may be a stretch.

No I am making a silly joke on a rugby forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

No I am making a silly joke on a rugby forum.

Of course.  My fault.

Well my afternoon at work is lost - I am now watching Great Britain vs. Australia matches from the 1970's!

• Like 2

I'm wondering if these squad numbers are a touring side thing. This is from the 1946 indomitables tour. In the first 10 seconds it is clear Great Britain are wearing squad numbers and Australia arent. There is also a magnificent trophy that I'd love to know more about:

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm wondering if these squad numbers are a touring side thing. This is from the 1946 indomitables tour. In the first 10 seconds it is clear Great Britain are wearing squad numbers and Australia arent. There is also a magnificent trophy that I'd love to know more about:

That trophy is the Courtney Goodwill Trophy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Goodwill_Trophy

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Wiki says they had 26 players and used squad numbers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946_Great_Britain_Lions_tour

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Thanks to the sterling work from those who dug out those fascinating programmes!

I suppose I can see the benefits of squad numbers on a long tour. I still very much favour 1-13, and think that there is an overwhelming tradition.

Perhaps the Aussies are looking to emulate those great British teams that went down under.

Just now, Damien said:

Yes I saw that, and was one of the first to use squad numbers.

There hadn't really been many opportunities to in the preceding few years, to be fair.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Going down a bit of a rabbit hole looking at historic tours. 

The 1908 Kangaroos tour here, the first ever went on for 47 games and the NU team and a select XIII team played games against the Kangaroos at Goodison Park, Villa Park, Celtic, Park Royal Ground, London and St James' Park, Newcastle. 

It's fascinating stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dave T said:

Going down a bit of a rabbit hole looking at historic tours. 

The 1908 Kangaroos tour here, the first ever went on for 47 games and the NU team and a select XIII team played games against the Kangaroos at Goodison Park, Villa Park, Celtic, Park Royal Ground, London and St James' Park, Newcastle. 

It's fascinating stuff. 

BUT WHAT WERE THEIR NUMBERS

• Haha 1

I am up to the 1973 1st test between Great Britain and Australia at Wembley.

From a numbers perspective - both teams in 1 to 13.

And a crowd of 9,874.  God, imagine England Australia getting less than 10k at Wembley for a test today... how much doom and gloom would there be.  This forum would melt.

• Haha 1

I am still going with my theory that squad numbers are easier to manage from a 'kitman' perspective and therefore very useful for touring / skint teams.

• Like 2