Jump to content

The World Cup


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

You're probably right, but I suppose we'll see before too long.

There seems to be an added air of uncertainty around the Aussie set-up this year, with the defections to Samoa, etc.

I can see one or two curve-balls being included in the 24 guys selected, due to pull outs and changes in allegiance. Suaalii does appear to be ahead of Cobbo, but I'm not quite ready to close the door on the Brisbane freakster just yet.

Suaalii has played well but I can't help but think that his reputation as a wonder kid and the tug of war being the codes has influenced his rise. 

When you look at their performances on the pitch, I would have Cobbo well ahead to be honest.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, Mojo said:

Just saw the interview from Mal. He said Suali'i was overlooked for the PNG game but he's still in his plans for the world cup. And he has spoken to Haas and he's very keen to play for the kangaroos but there's a chance he might pull out of the World cup due to family reasons. This is all so strange. He also said Junior Paulo was in the kangaroos team and a week later Paulo came out and said he's playing for samoa lol Time will tell who's gonna play for who because nothing set in concrete until the player themselves says who they're playing for.

What a joke our international game is when a matter of a few weeks away from the start of the world cup and we still have players able to decide who they want to play for.

No wonder theres no panini stickers for RLWC. You woudnt know which pageto stick them on!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

What a joke our international game is when a matter of a few weeks away from the start of the world cup and we still have players able to decide who they want to play for.

No wonder theres no panini stickers for RLWC. You woudnt know which pageto stick them on!

It's not ideal, I will agree with that.

But the only people tracking these extended squads are hard core Rugby League fans.  And I would argue that the vast majority of us want to see as many world class players as possible in the World Cup.

Frustrating, yes.  A joke, no.

  • Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Story on the SMH website suggesting Payne Haas might not make himself available for any WC squad due to family reasons.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl/powerhouse-roos-prop-set-to-skip-world-cup-for-family-reasons-20220916-p5bis1.html (no pay wall here)

Whilst I want to see the best players in the world, part of me is pleased that monster may not be playing against us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Suaalii has played well but I can't help but think that his reputation as a wonder kid and the tug of war being the codes has influenced his rise. 

When you look at their performances on the pitch, I would have Cobbo well ahead to be honest.

Yes, I feel that Suaalii is an exceptionally promising youngster who can achieve great things and has played well this year. I probably wouldn't have him in the squad though.

I don't think he's the finished article by any means. I feel there is more chance that teams would get to him and work him over. Personally, I would have several wingers ahead of him, mainly on experience (Feldt, Oates).

I highly suspect that he'll be off to union and filling the Wallabies FB jumper before too long. They seem to be willing to throw the cheque-book open for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As has been said above, this close to the WC to still have so much uncertainty over who will be in which squad is not ideal. As is the fact that the anti-RL press will be all over the number of Aussie accents across most nations. 

But... the minutae of qualification is of interest to mainly RL tragics (like me). 

And ... when the games are broadcast will the average viewer really care about the qualifying criteria when he/she is watching an amazingly skillful contest and spectacle between well-matched teams.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Whilst I want to see the best players in the world, part of me is pleased that monster may not be playing against us.

Nothings confirmed if he's out yet. In Haas defense his family's going through alot of stuff which is basically all over the news. I can see Haas playing in the world cup tho but we'll just have to wait and see which team that is

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There probably should be an earlier cut off for stating allegiance, probably the beginning of the year. At least that would give teams and coaches time to plan and actually focus on players they know are eligible. It would probably stop a lot of the negative reactionary news stories, particularly if it was way before Origin. 

  • Like 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Suaalii has played well but I can't help but think that his reputation as a wonder kid and the tug of war being the codes has influenced his rise. 

When you look at their performances on the pitch, I would have Cobbo well ahead to be honest.

I would say Cobbo and coates are well ahead of him yes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Yes, I feel that Suaalii is an exceptionally promising youngster who can achieve great things and has played well this year. I probably wouldn't have him in the squad though.

I don't think he's the finished article by any means. I feel there is more chance that teams would get to him and work him over. Personally, I would have several wingers ahead of him, mainly on experience (Feldt, Oates).

I highly suspect that he'll be off to union and filling the Wallabies FB jumper before too long. They seem to be willing to throw the cheque-book open for him.

Union in australia has some serious financial problems and nobody watches super rugby

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Harry Newman ruled out 

Very disappointing.  I have been confident that at home and with our best players available that we would be competitive but losing Walmsley and Newman starts to feel like a big hit.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The storm said:

Union in australia has some serious financial problems and nobody watches super rugby

They do, but they've been bailed out by the World Rugby governing body that has propped them up. 

They're too big to fail on a world stage for RU. That cash injection and some administrative changes do see them looking in a bit more solid shape.

Suaalii has a union background, and I feel he's perhaps more suited to union.

All I'm saying is that it's pretty likely that he'll go to the other code at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Very disappointing.  I have been confident that at home and with our best players available that we would be competitive but losing Walmsley and Newman starts to feel like a big hit.

Indeed . Maybe we don’t have the depth as some other contenders . Hopefully we take no more blows

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Harry Newman ruled out 

Poor guy hasn't been able to put a string of games together all season, so it's not unexpected.

He's a fantastic talent but I don't think he's played enough games to be in the squad, even if he had been cleared. There are doubts about him every time he pulls up, unfortunately.

I hope he can enjoy a full pre-season and come back strong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would Newman be a starter with everyone fit and available? Hopefully Farnworth is fit as he’s likely our first choice centre, not sure who the next cab off the rank is. We’ve been weak there for a long time.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

They do, but they've been bailed out by the World Rugby governing body that has propped them up. 

They're too big to fail on a world stage for RU. That cash injection and some administrative changes do see them looking in a bit more solid shape.

Suaalii has a union background, and I feel he's perhaps more suited to union.

All I'm saying is that it's pretty likely that he'll go to the other code at some point.

Definitely not too big to fail. The game is all but dead here. It's literally propped up by loans and poaching pacific island players.

  • Haha 1

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

Definitely not too big to fail. The game is all but dead here. It's literally propped up by loans and poaching pacific island players.

The game itself might indeed be at a great low in Australia. The point I'm making though is that World Rugby won't allow Australia to just fall away. That huge loan shows that. Global RU needs a strong Wallabies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

The game itself might indeed be at a great low in Australia. The point I'm making though is that World Rugby won't allow Australia to just fall away. That huge loan shows that. Global RU needs a strong Wallabies.

But global RU is in trouble also. 

The corporate sport is in big trouble in a lot of places

Ive watched Suuali  few times and there are 5 or 6 young players his age who are better than him at thhe moment, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Suaalii has a union background, and I feel he's perhaps more suited to union.

With all due respect you`ve been listening to that great nong Andrew Johns too much and his endless idolising of any one who a) went to a private school and  b ) played union while they were there, all the time forgetting that a lot of those kids were literally poached from the Rugby League sporting fields of western Sydney and offered fully-paid scholarships ( $ 35 000/ yr at Kings ) on the condition that they carry their ailing school boy union teams.

Suaalli played League since he was 4 years old, a decade before he had anything to do with either Kings or their union team.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

With all due respect you`ve been listening to that great nong Andrew Johns too much and his endless idolising of any one who a) went to a private school and  b ) played union while they were there, all the time forgetting that a lot of those kids were literally poached from the Rugby League sporting fields of western Sydney and offered fully-paid scholarships ( $ 35 000/ yr at Kings ) on the condition that they carry their ailing school boy union teams.

Suaalli played League since he was 4 years old, a decade before he had anything to do with either Kings or their union team.

Okay, okay... I should have said he had a league and a union background.

I get where you're coming from and agree with your take. 

I think he'd go well back in the 15-man code.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...