The World Cup

29 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Yeah fair enough. He’s a good bench option as he can play both Back Row and Prop.

I’ll be interested to see how they use David Fafita.

Yes, Fifita is a weapon. Whether he starts or not ahead of Olakauatu I don't know.

Interested to see how they utilise him.

2 hours ago, Mojo said:

The stats you bought up clearly shows Ofahengaue is better lol the meters run he's behind by only a few but tackle breaks and offloads he's better than most of them. Are we judging on meters run only? Because that seems to be the only thing your comparing right now

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Are you stupid take a look at the stats you wrote. I can’t with people like you, you need to get checked out a mental institution. Ofahangaue literally tops almost all of those stats idiot.

Alright fellas doubling on our terrible takes we love to see it.

So those stats somehow prove Ofa is the best despite his carries being much less effective, and his tackling being much less effective than his contemporaries - Literally the worst in half the statistics measured but fair enough we're obviously committing to the bit.

Some more statistics:

• Joe O: Total Try Involvements (Offensive statistic) - 3, Try Causes (Defensive) - 8, Line Break Causes (Defensive) - 15, Errors - 6, Penalties - 11
  • SST: Total Try Involvements - 4, Try Causes - 6, Line Break Causes - 8, Errors - 6, Penalties - 8
  • AFB: Total Try Involvements - 3, Try Causes - 4, Line Break Causes - 4, Errors - 10, Penalties - 6
  • Tatola: Total Try Involvements - 4, Try Causes - 1, Line Break Causes - 1, Errors - 9, Penalties - 13
  • Fotuiaka: Total Try Involvements - 4, Try Causes - 4, Line Break Causes - 8, Errors - 10, Penalties - 7

So to respond to the question re: what does a few extra % of defensive efficiency mean - well somewhat unsurprisingly it means far more linebreaks and tries for the opposition, just a crazy thought but Joe O may actually be a significant contributor to the Tigers woeful middle this season (he in fact has the most try causes and second-most line break causes of any prop in the entire competition). In attack he has the least amount of try involvements (equal), equal least errors as a credit to him, second most penalties conceded and far behind all bar Tatola in that regard.

So he is the worst ball carrier despite the accumulated tackle breaks - ie he'll bump someone off and go nowhere leading to a slow play the ball, he has both by far the worst defensive efficiency and is possibly the worst defensive prop in the entire NRL in terms of being the cause of pointscoring plays, is able to limit his errors to his credit but has woeful discipline, and his offloads don't lead to involvements in attacking play. Nonetheless somehow he's by far the best prop of the lot!

Now that's taken all my allotted time on the mental institution computer so I'll just have to sit back and watch the mental gymnastics from afar.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The 1954 WC Kangaroos didn’t make the final with just four sides competing. That probably was the worst side. The 1995 WC team was ordinary but did enough to lift the trophy. As for this one, it’s been adversely affected by defections but still has quality.. I don’t think opponents will be underestimating them. It all goes to make it by far the most unpredictable RL WC ever. 

• Like 2

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 hours ago, UTK said:

Crisis averted, that photo was not indicative of the Tongan squad:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says '24 MAN MATE TONGA LEAGU SQUAD JASON TAUMALOLO SIOSIUA TAUKEI AHO TALATAU AM ONE DAVID FIFITA ADDIN FONUA BLAKE MOEAKI FOTUAIK SILIVA HAVILI WILL HOPOATE KONRAD HURRELL SIONE KATOA ISAIYA KATOA FELISE KAUFUSI KEAON KOLOAMATANGI TOLUTAU KOULA TUIMOALA LOLOHEA SONI LUKE BEN MURDOCH-MASILA TESI NIU HAUMOLE OLAKAU'ATU WILL PENISINI MOSESE SULI SIOSIFA TALAKAI TEVITA TATOLA DANIEL TUPOU RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2021 D DYNASTY PACIFICAST Digicel'

What a pack this squad is going to put out.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, UTK said:

Alright fellas doubling on our terrible takes we love to see it.

So those stats somehow prove Ofa is the best despite his carries being much less effective, and his tackling being much less effective than his contemporaries - Literally the worst in half the statistics measured but fair enough we're obviously committing to the bit.

Some more statistics:

• Joe O: Total Try Involvements (Offensive statistic) - 3, Try Causes (Defensive) - 8, Line Break Causes (Defensive) - 15, Errors - 6, Penalties - 11
  • SST: Total Try Involvements - 4, Try Causes - 6, Line Break Causes - 8, Errors - 6, Penalties - 8
  • AFB: Total Try Involvements - 3, Try Causes - 4, Line Break Causes - 4, Errors - 10, Penalties - 6
  • Tatola: Total Try Involvements - 4, Try Causes - 1, Line Break Causes - 1, Errors - 9, Penalties - 13
  • Fotuiaka: Total Try Involvements - 4, Try Causes - 4, Line Break Causes - 8, Errors - 10, Penalties - 7

So to respond to the question re: what does a few extra % of defensive efficiency mean - well somewhat unsurprisingly it means far more linebreaks and tries for the opposition, just a crazy thought but Joe O may actually be a significant contributor to the Tigers woeful middle this season (he in fact has the most try causes and second-most line break causes of any prop in the entire competition). In attack he has the least amount of try involvements (equal), equal least errors as a credit to him, second most penalties conceded and far behind all bar Tatola in that regard.

So he is the worst ball carrier despite the accumulated tackle breaks - ie he'll bump someone off and go nowhere leading to a slow play the ball, he has both by far the worst defensive efficiency and is possibly the worst defensive prop in the entire NRL in terms of being the cause of pointscoring plays, is able to limit his errors to his credit but has woeful discipline, and his offloads don't lead to involvements in attacking play. Nonetheless somehow he's by far the best prop of the lot!

Now that's taken all my allotted time on the mental institution computer so I'll just have to sit back and watch the mental gymnastics from afar.

I can’t with you. Cheers for the laugh goodbye

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mojo said:

The NRL not sending any reporters to the world cup makes me want Australia to lose to the Kiwis even more 🤦‍♂️

I thought Brad Walter might come over, especially since he was media consultant for the RLWC2017.

NRL is in down-time mode - ahead of 2023. Sad to see.

Sorry in advance to the forum's Aussies, but, God, I'd love to see them bowled over in the quarters or the semis.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Haha relax mate.

Let’s avoid calling people dumb, stupid etc (which i notice you do a lot of) in response to someone simply providing a different opinion to you.

Spot on.  Just not needed.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I can’t with you. Cheers for the laugh goodbye

A very gratuitous concession in the face of overwhelming facts, I humbly accept. 

I really do value your contributions though mate, I really appreciate you going through and doing those homegrown/born in the country statistics - it's a very interesting and descriptive statistic that tells us a lot about the teams at the World Cup. I'll be interested to see what portion of those domestic guys are given a run in the end, I sincerely hope we don't end up with another Mirco Bergamasco situation like in 2017 where these guys are simply taken along for the ride but not given a shot.

If I get some more time I might go back and try to do the same domestic stats over some previous WCs so we can collate our info and do a bit of analysis on the results, would tell a good story about the changing face of the International game across different nations.

• Like 1

It just shows how relative things are and how loaded Australia are/were with talent . They’ve took a lot of hits but that still looks a very strong outfit to me . They may not be lengths in front of the field anymore but theyre still the team everyone will be looking to beat if they want to lift the trophy 

• Like 2

So, the Kangaroo squad is by far the most versatile with many players able to perform effectively in multiple positions.  You have to wonder if this is going to start to make a big difference as the tournament progresses with injuries / suspensions coming into play.

Below is the squad with each player named in positions where they can and do play very well.

Full back:  Tedesco, Mitchell, Holmes

Wings: Addo-Carr, Taulagi, Holmes

Centre: Mitchell, Homes, Graham, Burton, Wighton

Halves: Cherry-Evans, Cleary, Munster, Burton, Hunt, Wighton

Middle: Cambell-Gillard, Carrigan, Collins, Cotter, Fa'asuamaleaui, Murray, Trbojevic, Yeo, Martin

Edge: Crichton, Murray, Martin, Nanai

Hooker: Grant, Hunt, Cotter

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, UTK said:

A very gratuitous concession in the face of overwhelming facts, I humbly accept. 

I really do value your contributions though mate, I really appreciate you going through and doing those homegrown/born in the country statistics - it's a very interesting and descriptive statistic that tells us a lot about the teams at the World Cup. I'll be interested to see what portion of those domestic guys are given a run in the end, I sincerely hope we don't end up with another Mirco Bergamasco situation like in 2017 where these guys are simply taken along for the ride but not given a shot.

If I get some more time I might go back and try to do the same domestic stats over some previous WCs so we can collate our info and do a bit of analysis on the results, would tell a good story about the changing face of the International game across different nations.

I have a very cool project about the birth places of all the World Cup players. I’m all most finished just waiting for the last few squads to be announced. When I’m finished I’ll create a new topic and post it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just reading the previews in RLW…….Finalists Lebanon are coached by the current Argentinian Rugby Union coach.  what a joke. He has never played a game of rugby league or coached one.  Is the game that lacking in coaching talent?

Then again its difficult to accept ( at least by me) how players pick and choose who they play for …even the Australian captain has previously appeared for one of the other participants.

No doubt they will all line up and belt out the national anthem….just got to hope they work out which one they are playing for.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So, the Kangaroo squad is by far the most versatile with many players able to perform effectively in multiple positions.  You have to wonder if this is going to start to make a big difference as the tournament progresses with injuries / suspensions coming into play.

Below is the squad with each player named in positions where they can and do play very well.

Full back:  Tedesco, Mitchell

Middle: Cambell-Gillard, Carrigan, Collins, Cotter, Fa'asuamaleaui, Murray, Trbojevic, Yeo, Martin

It’s even more versatile then that.

I’d add Nanai To Centre

Wighton to Wing and fullback (Possibly Backrow if really needed)

Holmes to Fullback

and Campbell Graham as a winger option

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It’s a good point Dunbar regarding the wider squad.

This is the first WC with the heighten/stricter HIA protocols, increased clamp down on high shots etc so the depth of the wider squad will be massive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I like that strategy ,  guys like Burton and Wighton are really key there , and Hunt is mr versatile . I think we should have picked someone like Connor for a similar reason as well he can do something out of the box which is something we’ve often talked about the need for . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It just shows how relative things are and how loaded Australia are/were with talent . They’ve took a lot of hits but that still looks a very strong outfit to me . They may not be lengths in front of the field anymore but theyre still the team everyone will be looking to beat if they want to lift the trophy 

That’s all we’ll & good,but if our resident chook says they are the worst ever kangaroo’s we have nothing to worry about.

55 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

This Australian Team is arguably the worst ever. Whilst this years kiwis are easily the greatest ever kiwis side it should be a great tournament. I do tip the kiwis more though.

Getting the excuses in early SR? If they don’t win the WC then you’re justified. If the Aussies win you can crow that the worst Australian team ever is still good enough to win the WC. No lose situation. 👍

• Like 1

Temporarily locking this thread to ensure everyone looking at it sees the next line below, and takes it on board, before I get the big stick out and start banning people.

Cut out the personal insults.

That's it, that's the message. They aren't necessary, and they are against our forum rules, which, if you are unfamiliar with them, please re-read them below (you all agreed to them when you joined).

TotalRL.com Forum Rules
https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/guidelines/

Thanks.

I'll re-open the thread shortly.

• Thanks 1