The World Cup

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

We play Samoa 1st up

We will likely play PNG in a QF

Then Samoa or Tonga in a semi

Hopefully, NZ or Aus in a final.

It's the hardest route.

Absolutely, though any route that avoids NZ and Oz before the final is probably worth that.

• Thanks 1

IMO, for the first time ever Australia are set to have an equally difficult if not harder test in their semi final than whoever is in the opposite Semi final. Rather than just a walkover.

That is a massive improvement in my opinion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That will be very intersting and also very informative Thank you, probably a bit late as you say you are almost finished but if the player is representative of another nation other than his birth nation, have you indicated how he qualifies, parent, grandparent, resident?

No but there is only a few players who would qualify through residency (Not Including Players who moved to there country as a child Example Mikolaj Oledzki)

Actually now that I think about I’m pretty sure there is only 1 that being Samisoni Langi. So almost all the players will be qualifying through Heritage quite the opposite of union.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

When is the Wales squad announced?

Wales & Fiji have warm up games this weekend but no squad yet which is strange, Fiji squad is already in England minus NRL GF players so no idea why it wasn’t announced today. Those 2 and Cook Islands only teams left to announce a squad.

11 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

They're not getting beaten by Fiji

Probably not. I was at the last Semi when Fiji went into half time 2 - 0 against Australia. Stranger things have happened.

new rise.jpg

11 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Let's face it: the draw has been rigged for England.

Of course it has, but I am not to sure that rigging will work and England get to the final, perhaps that could be a blessing, realistically I can't see this England squad getting anywhere near those of Aus and NZ.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pulga said:

Probably not. I was at the last Semi when Fiji went into half time 2 - 0 against Australia. Stranger things have happened.

Fiji’s Full strength team is great but unfortunately the have been destroyed by injuries this tournament.

Heres a list of the Injured Players

Daniel Saifiti

Kane Evans

Tariq Sims

Marcelo Montoya

Jacob Saifiti

Joe Lovodua

3 minutes ago, Pulga said:

At the last semi final Australia were beating Fiji 22-2 at half time. In 2013 they were beating Fiji 52-0 at half time.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

1PM today, it was announced to players a few weeks back. Just waiting for the last set of finals to finish before confirming in case of injury. 

Do you have any inside information of who will be in the squad (Frizell?) Hopefully.

Possibly Harry Smith even

Edited by SydneyRoosters

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the seeding is fine.

New Zealand in 2017 lost to Tonga in the group stages, and then exited the tournament versus Fiji. This was in a home World Cup for them. 

In 2018 England beat them 3 v 1 across four tests, although NZ then got revenge versus GB in 2019, two nil.

I think there is definitely a justifiable position on seeding that sees Eng and Tonga on one side and Aus and NZ on the other. 

Then we will disagree Dave, the bookies are usually a good indicator - yes I know they occasionally misfire - and they have them as 1st and second 2nd favourites.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

At the last semi final Australia were beating Fiji 22-2 at half time. In 2013 they were beating Fiji 52-0 at half time.

Yeah, maybe it wasn't half time...

They were up by two until the 18th minute though 😂

• Haha 3

new rise.jpg

12 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Wales & Fiji have warm up games this weekend but no squad yet which is strange, Fiji squad is already in England minus NRL GF players so no idea why it wasn’t announced today. Those 2 and Cook Islands only teams left to announce a squad.

So you would think any 'travelling' Welsh player's would also be here if they are playing this week, strange that the squad hasn't been published.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Then we will disagree Dave, the bookies are usually a good indicator - yes I know they occasionally misfire - and they have them as 1st and second 2nd favourites.

They will also have been 1st and 2nd favourites in 2017 when the Kiwis lost 2 of 4 games. 

But we are talking an opinion piece, I suppose my point is that it doesn't look 'weird' or staged, it's perfectly reasonable that the Kiwis would have to face the Aussies if it goes to form. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

They will also have been 1st and 2nd favourites in 2017 when the Kiwis lost 2 of 4 games. 

But we are talking an opinion piece, I suppose my point is that it doesn't look 'weird' or staged, it's perfectly reasonable that the Kiwis would have to face the Aussies if it goes to form. 

Yes but if they were kept apart I doubt anyone with these present squads they have posted not the ones from 5 years ago would back against them facing off in the final.

Would you?

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes but if they were kept apart I doubt anyone with these present squads they have posted not the ones from 5 years ago would back against them facing off in the final.

Would you?

If I was a betting man I'd bet on those two, I agree with you that they are the strongest teams. 

But thats not how sport works. 

32 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Fiji’s Full strength team is great but unfortunately the have been destroyed by injuries this tournament.

Heres a list of the Injured Players

Daniel Saifiti

Kane Evans

Tariq Sims

Marcelo Montoya

Jacob Saifiti

Joe Lovodua

Saifiti brothers & Sims didn’t finish the season injured, are they getting surgery? Daniel Saifiti has said he’s not playing the World Cup several months ago but haven’t heard about the others opting out for sure.

Also last I remember Lovodua was in doubt for the World Cup, is he confirmed as out?

5 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Saifiti brothers & Sims didn’t finish the season injured, are they getting surgery? Daniel Saifiti has said he’s not playing the World Cup several months ago but haven’t heard about the others opting out for sure.

Also last I remember Lovodua was in doubt for the World Cup, is he confirmed as out?

All of those injuries were announced in a Fijian newspaper about a week ago. I’ll link the website if I can find it. And Yes D Saifiti is not injured but he’s not playing so yeah.