The World Cup

11 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

All of those injuries were announced in a Fijian newspaper about a week ago. I’ll link the website if I can find it. And Yes D Saifiti is not injured but he’s not playing so yeah.

Fair enough, thanks.

Those 3 & Montoya all finished their NRL seasons so it’s a shame they’ve found injuries or “reasons” to sit out. Sims and Daniel Saifiti could have played in the mid-year test too from memory but sat it out too for no particular reason so Fiji will know they’re not really interested going forward.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I can’t say mate. It’s my work after all and is confidential until it’s released.

Spoil sport.  We won't tell anyone... promise!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Fair enough, thanks.

Those 3 & Montoya all finished their NRL seasons so it’s a shame they’ve found injuries or “reasons” to sit out. Sims and Daniel Saifiti could have played in the mid-year test too from memory but sat it out too for no particular reason so Fiji will know they’re not really interested going forward.

Yeah it’s quite unfortunate. On the positive though last World Cup Fiji only had 37.5% domestic born players. But this World Cup they will have around 55-65% which is enormous improvement.

• Like 2

The Welsh fans will be praying to the Evans for a good run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

29 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Wow that’s depressing. The team is atrocious and despite John Kear saying a good 20 times he was going to select mostly domestic players he only selected ten. That’s incredibly depressing a really poor side.

Edit- 12 Welsh born not 10

Edited by SydneyRoosters

10 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

This is from Wikipedia:

Broadcasting[edit]

The Rugby League World Cup announced a partnership with the International Rugby League (IRL) in July 2020. The organisations will work together on match broadcast production and the sale of global broadcast rights.[41]

In April 2019, it was reported that the digital strategy for the tournament will be led by Deloitte.[42] In May 2019, the world cup organisers announced they were looking for an esport partner to engage new audiences with the sport.[43]

Region Broadcaster Free-to-Air/
Subscription
Details
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia Foxtel (Fox League and Kayo Sports) Subscription All 61 matches across the three tournaments.[44]
Denmark Denmark
Estonia Estonia
Finland Finland
Iceland Iceland
Latvia Latvia
Lithuania Lithuania
Netherlands Netherlands
Norway Norway
Poland Poland
Sweden Sweden
Viaplay Subscription TBA[45]
France France BeIN Sports Subscription All 61 matches across the three tournaments.[46]
Sport en France Free All France men's, women's and wheelchair national team games and tournament finals.[47]
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand Spark Sport Subscription All 61 matches live across the 31 men's, 15 women's and 15 wheelchair.[48]
20px-Flag_of_Papua_New_Guinea.svg.png Papua New Guinea EM TV Free All 61 matches live across the 31 men's, 15 women's and 15 wheelchair.[49]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom BBC Free All 31 matches live on BBC One or BBC Two as well as on BBC iPlayer, Venue launch programme[50] and highlights programme[51][52]
OurLeague App Subscription All 31 matches live, exclusive post match interviews and OuRLeague highlights programme.
RugbyAM (FreeSports) Free Highlights programme and post match interviews.
United States United States FITE TV Subscription All 31 matches live on pay per view.[53]

Cheers mate. I was looking for the US coverage so will check out FIFE whatever that is. Disappointing global coverage as you say.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

The leeks will be cooked. Tonga could put 80 or 90 points on poor Wales, PNG 50 or 60. Even the Kukis will fancy their chances of a 30 point victory.

The backs are okay and Ralph is a solid half, but the cupboards are very bare up front.

I shudder for them.

8 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

The leeks will be cooked. Tonga could put 80 or 90 points on poor Wales, PNG 50 or 60. Even the Kukis will fancy their chances of a 30 point victory.

The backs are okay and Ralph is a solid half, but the cupboards are very bare up front.

I shudder for them.

I didn't think they could have a much worse World Cup than the last one but we could be seeing something very similar. Just substitute Fiji for Tonga and Ireland for Cook Islands and you're predicting the future right there. 

2017 results were:

PNG 50-6 Wales

Wales 6-72 Fiji

Wales 6-34 Ireland

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Imagine what this welsh team could have been Grace, Best, Frizell, Dudson, Smith, Thomas, White. 

I feel like we end up saying this every world Cup, for whatever reason Wales just never seem able to get their best available players. Since Briers retired the halfback options have been very poor also. The 1-5 options seem OK in this squad, Caleb Aekins is a decent FB and Williams, Evans, Evans and Kear are all capable, but 6-13 just looks the worst of any other WC squad.

• Like 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-03/police-charge-luciano-leilua-with-alleged-dv-offences/101498014

He's supposed to appear in Court in Sydney on 11 October. Will he fly to UK after that or will his lawyer realise and get him a different court date. Will he be stood down by the NRL in line with their protocol? Will his WC be affected at all?

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think in the lead up to this one there should be a focus on highlighting how unpredictable the last few tournaments have been, relatively speaking. Sure the Aussies are hot favourites and the best RL nation in the world, but we should be highlighting:

1. 2008 saw the Kiwis take the cup from the Aussies in their own backyard.

2. 2013 saw England mugged in the last second versus the Kiwis at Wembley

3. 2017 saw:

a ) The Kiwis knocked out at the QF stage by Fiji

b ) Tonga come inches short of beating England in the semis

c ) England being an ankle tap away from wiping out a 6 nil lead in the final

The tournaments are really coming into their own, they aren't as predictable as people often make out, and I expect there will be some real shocks and stories created this time - please, please don't let that be on day one at St James' Park!!!!! 😭

Way too much positivity for this forum,you really should know better.