Who to pick????

Wane obviously has a team to pick but I think there's two positions which are the most difficult as it's a straight shootout between 2 players who are extremely difficult to leave out.

Welsby or Tomkins?

Radley or Knowles?

All 4 are international class players

25 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Wane obviously has a team to pick but I think there's two positions which are the most difficult as it's a straight shootout between 2 players who are extremely difficult to leave out.

Welsby or Tomkins?

Radley or Knowles?

All 4 are international class players

12-Knowles

13-Radley

Tomkins Starts, Welsby of the bench or at centre

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I mean starting 13

So did I, there are plenty of options for the open style of the coach you could even put Welsby somewhere completelt different and he'd do a fantastic Job.

The real conundrums are not who to pick but, will Wigan Players know what to do without French & Saunders and will Saints internationals know what to do in a game where they aren't completely the dominant?

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Knowles on the edge would be a poor move and probably blocks a deserving back rower from playing. If Knowles is to play he should be selected to play the role he plays now at Saints. 

Would you pick Knowles over Radley?

Tomkins will be England captain, nailed on to play fullback.

Welsby will be in the 17, its just a question of where. 

Knowles & Radley - who knows, wouldn't surprise me if Wane picked Sutton ahead of both of them !

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Who do people think has greater value currently? Farnworth or Welsby?

As we could easily slot Welsby into the Centre position with Farnworth onto the wing, but do we lose some value from not having Farnworth in the centre?

If for instance at some stage in a game Wane moved Tomkins from FB into the halves, with Welsby slotting in at FB, would you then move an edge back rower into the centre to cover Welsby? As we wouldn't be carrying a winger on the bench, so moving Farnworth (in this scenario) into the centre would cause another potential problem.

Personally I'd pick Farnworth and Newman as our 1st choice centres. But the above scenario could work.

I would like to see a game plan where our centres and wingers are used with a bit more creativity. We've seen centres doubling up down one edge in years gone past, and in some games in the NRL this season, so employing these type of attacking tactics could really work, if done effectively. Wingers running off props/middle forwards down the centre looking for an offload as another example. Centres and wingers switching positions in certain attacking plays also to add some variety.

I'd also start Radley at 13 with Knowles coming off the bench for some impact. Though think Knowles could do a stint prop as well as 13.

Lots to think on for Shaun wane.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

If fit I would have Newman and Farnworth in the centre so I wouldn't shift Welsby there.

I think all things being equal, I would start Tomkins at 1.  But Weslby has to be in the 17.

As for Knowles and Radley.  Both top class, I would probably edge to Knowles at the moment and so I think Radley starting at 9 with a running 9 on the bench may be the best option.

No way I would move Knowles to ab edge as you are just dulling his strengths and we have better options there.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If fit I would have Newman and Farnworth in the centre so I wouldn't shift Welsby there.

I think all things being equal, I would start Tomkins at 1.  But Weslby has to be in the 17.

As for Knowles and Radley.  Both top class, I would probably edge to Knowles at the moment and so I think Radley starting at 9 with a running 9 on the bench may be the best option.

No way I would move Knowles to ab edge as you are just dulling his strengths and we have better options there.

I agree re Knowles, if you're a solid middle, you usually aren't that great on an edge at that level.

Who are the better edge options? Not sure of form, but Bateman nailed on for 1 spot i would imagine.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Just now, MattSantos said:

I agree re Knowles, if you're a solid middle, you usually aren't that great on an edge at that level.

Who are the better edge options? Not sure of form, but Bateman nailed on for 1 spot i would imagine.

I expect to see Whitehead and Bateman in there because I think Wane will go with the tried and tested route.

I really like both of them but personally, I think that Whitehead's form has been well down this year and while I like Bateman's toughness I still think he is a little small for the monster edge forwards we will be see at the World Cup.

At there best though, you would expect these two to be in the 13.

As for alternatives, I like Joe Batchelor at Saints while McMeeken or even Pearce-Paul can add a bit of size. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Bateman,McMeeken,Whitehead,Batchelor form player in that list is probably Batchelor but he’s never reached the levels Bateman and Whitehead have. I think Wane will think he can get the best out of them two again. 

• Like 1

Wane has to challenge Whitehead, Bateman, McMeeken, Batchelor, Currie or whichever back rowers get selected to make one of those two spots their own.

Current/recent form demands both Bateman and Whitehead have to show they are worth it. Still time for both to play themselves into some form. Assuming Canberra make the 8 in the NRL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Wane has to challenge Whitehead, Bateman, McMeeken, Batchelor, Currie or whichever back rowers get selected to make one of those two spots their own.

Current/recent form demands both Bateman and Whitehead have to show they are worth it. Still time for both to play themselves into some form. Assuming Canberra make the 8 in the NRL.

Canberra wont make the 8. Might be a good thing as Whitehead could just do with a rest given the ay he plays.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Raiders have a good draw to finish whereas Roosters finish with Storm and Souths , but play Wests next . Broncos and Parra have Dragons and Dogs in the run in so they should be fine . I think the 8 will be as it is now and they’re the best sides 

Edited by DavidM

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I expect to see Whitehead and Bateman in there because I think Wane will go with the tried and tested route.

I really like both of them but personally, I think that Whitehead's form has been well down this year and while I like Bateman's toughness I still think he is a little small for the monster edge forwards we will be see at the World Cup.

At there best though, you would expect these two to be in the 13.

As for alternatives, I like Joe Batchelor at Saints while McMeeken or even Pearce-Paul can add a bit of size. 

I'd pick Watkins. He's big, agile, strong, fast and skillful. One of the form 2nd rowers at the moment 

It’s a subject of some furious debate but at the moment you cannot ignore the form of Dom Young on the wing!

This has nothing to do with NRL v SL, he’s just playing very well and the parts of his game in which he’s excelling are the ones we really need, such as yardage off his own line, kick returns and fielding cross field kicks.

I think it might be exciting to see a virtually new three quarter line containing Makinson, Newman, Farnworth and Young. They might be a revelation but it could also go very wrong

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

It’s a subject of some furious debate but at the moment you cannot ignore the form of Dom Young on the wing!

This has nothing to do with NRL v SL, he’s just playing very well and the parts of his game in which he’s excelling are the ones we really need, such as yardage off his own line, kick returns and fielding cross field kicks.

I think it might be exciting to see a virtually new three quarter line containing Makinson, Newman, Farnworth and Young. They might be a revelation but it could also go very wrong

I agree Young has definitely played himself into the reckoning. If the team was picked solely on form I'd also consider Murphy at Wakefield although he might be a bit inexperienced 

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Isn’t he playing for Jamaica