Sat 20-Sun 21 Aug: The Betfred League One Match Thread

22 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Just when one hoped the sport of rugby league couldn't  get any more idiotic...

https://www.totalrl.com/loan-rules-changed-as-clubs-complete-transfer-business-before-deadline/

What is the point?

Player on loan at one club,after due date,now joins another club,a calendar month after the date.

If the rules are not to be enforced - remove the ruling.

IMG will never rescue the sport.Too far gone.

Anything goes in League One.I hope I'm going. 

I cannot understand why suspensions seem to be taken into account. If a team is short on players because they have some suspended why should they be allowed to replace them with loan players? Suspension is supposed to be a punishment, not an excuse to bring in others. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hemi4561 said:

I cannot understand why suspensions seem to be taken into account. If a team is short on players because they have some suspended why should they be allowed to replace them with loan players? Suspension is supposed to be a punishment, not an excuse to bring in others. 

Actually a very good point. However should it be the team or the player that suffers?

Nailbiter in the end down by the seaside in Colwyn Bay (could Muzza make the players write out one thousand times 'when comfortably ahead with a few minutes to go I must not put the cue in the rack'!), although Rochdale were helped by what I made out to be over eight minutes added on time. Never mind, what's done is done and we still ended up with two points. Keighley away next week and on today's performance - HELP!!!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bearman said:

It gets worse Tim.

I have failed an fitness this morning. You are now playing on both wings.

Sorry to hear that mate but glad to report that I scored a pint on both wings at the Stebonheath ground today.

While there is always a degree of aggression on the field, and it's a rivalry we both indulge in, you can't fault the West/South Wales hospitality.

49 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I wasn't there today as on hols but by all accounts a professional performance by the Hurricanes to win 36-4. West Wales very fired up apparently but Hurricanes quality shone through despite a horrendous injury list 

I was there and it was a game where (a depleted, as we may have already said) Midlands side needed to buckle down and do the right things to overcome the (similarly depleted) hosts. Not going to say owt about the ref who was apparently making his debut in this code. In a game where there is always some biff, it might have been better to have a more experienced offical though. 

Hurricanes got the job done but took their time to settle down. Some credit due to the late additions to the squad who showed up well. 

• Thanks 1

The big one today at Keepmoat. Neither side is under any real pressure. Horne has made his job harder by bringing in Elliott Hall. There'll be 4 very disappointed players not making the 17 today and I suspect they could all be backs.

Edited by Rene_Artois

11 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Nailbiter in the end down by the seaside in Colwyn Bay (could Muzza make the players write out one thousand times 'when comfortably ahead with a few minutes to go I must not put the cue in the rack'!), although Rochdale were helped by what I made out to be over eight minutes added on time. Never mind, what's done is done and we still ended up with two points. Keighley away next week and on today's performance - HELP!!!

Lucky for us, the Rochdale kicker left his kicking boots at home, although it did feel like 12 against 14 for the last 15 minutes or so. A win's a win and we now have to try and enjoy what's left, not only of the season, but this fine side that Anthony Murray and his coaching team have built.

All eyes on the Keepmoat today, a win for Keighley will not only confirm their promotion, it will also guarantee at least third place for the Cru. A win for Doncaster will give them real momentum and confidence going into the playoffs.

Spoke to Anthony Murray after the game (as usual, he came to the Park to chat with the fans). He said that he has not got another job lined up and just needs to take a break. He'd like to stay in the game, so we will have to wait and see, but he is North Wales Crusaders through and through.

Also spoke to a director regarding a home venue for the playoffs. I was told that the move to Warrington is a one off and that we will be back at Eirias Park for the playoffs. He sounded very confident, although I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping he's proved right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

2 hours ago, fearnowt said:

a win for Keighley will not only confirm their promotion

I believe they are now Champions and promoted.  Currently, Crusaders would have to redress 351 points difference against Keighley and Swinton!   Look forward to our play-off match

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

I was timekeeper. Each half was 40 minutes apart from when the ref stopped the game for injuries. You're more than welcome to take over as time keeper for our next home game on 3rd September.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, glemiln said:

I believe they are now Champions and promoted.  Currently, Crusaders would have to redress 351 points difference against Keighley and Swinton!   Look forward to our play-off match

Let's see if we can do you a favour 😄

Honestly whatever happens today should be taken with a pinch of salt. There are 3 teams who could realistically be promoted through the play offs. That's really been the same since day 1. We were always going to find form at some point and Swinton and Crusaders have been consistent throughout. Any one of those is worthy of promotion.

• Like 2

Happy with the win at Eirias Park yesterday, but not so much the officiating. I dont usually comment publicly about the refs decisions an appreciate they're human and can only see what they see....however, Crusaders were no more offside than Rochdale yet seemed to be constantly punished. A man sinbinned for pointing out to the ref one of the players in backplay was in need of medical attention (he may have used stronger language!!) and  two tries chalked off for 'forward' passes. I felt that at 28 - 16 the score fairly reflected the game, the ref took a different view!

Was looking forward to watching the Cornwall game on OurLeague but again its not listed for broadcast.

I'll keep an eye on scores coming in from Keepmoat with interest.

• Like 1

Congratulations Keighley Cougars.

18 games. 18 wins. 36 points means they are crowned League 1 Champions.

Well deserved league leaders.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gogledd said:

Congratulations Keighley Cougars.

18 games. 18 wins. 36 points means they are crowned League 1 Champions.

Well deserved league leaders.

The telling stat for Keighley is that they've only conceded an average of 8.5 points per game. Incidentally I wasn't criticizing the time keeper but the ref who appeared to suffer from St. Vitus' dance the way his arms kept going up and down - one of our more 'interesting' officials is Mr. Mannifield (the name given on the RFL website).

3 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

Huge congratulations to Keighley. A very enjoyable game despite the scoreline. The Keighley fans were a genuine pleasure to host. Thoroughly deserved.

Wonderful arena,weather conditions,and playing surface for the occasion. 

A story about which I am ignorant if it has happened elsewhere. 

The owner and fellow director take over a rugby league in the 1990's.Lead it to success - on and off the field!

The governing body refuse to allow them their deserved entry into Super League. 

The owner leaves the club,the sport,and the country,and settles in Australia. 

Not very good,capable or caring owners are permitted by the governing body to take custody of the club leading to previous good things going particularly badly.

The year 2019 comes round.Club about finished when son of previous owner takes the club on and persuades the 2 leading protagonists to forget about retirement and help save the club.

They improve the infrastructure, appoint staff,bring the club and the town back to life.

The 2 wives of the 2 previous leading protagonists, having already gone through a huge emotional rollercoaster then have to endure the 2 men being extremely close to death only a matter of months ago.

Superb that captain Jack Miller,son of former Doncaster coach,should lead the players to the top of the directors box,during the celebrations,so he and the players could thank the owners/board of directors.

No journalists have bothered to write the story.John Godber ain't written a stage play.

Forget the other thread.Forget any other story.If there are people proud to be English, this World Cup Year.I ain't. But I know where I would look for inspiration.

Anyone know of any similar story from the world of sport?

There is a whole lot of meat to add to the bones.

Rugby league journalists should have been onto it...

• Like 4

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Another top performance from the Cougars. The players had to dig very deep against a good Donny side.

This has been a tough season and there are some very good sides in League 1.

The League table doesnt necessarly show all the games whch we have been tested.

It is brilliant to have secured promotion and now the Cougars can start planning for the Championship. 

As fans of the smaller clubs, these seasons don't come around too often and we are certainly going out to enjoy the remaining games.

This has been a season to remember.

• Like 1

Wonderful season for the Cougars, led the League by example, and a thoroughly deserved promotion. Excellent support from them yesterday at the Eco Power, it was a good game and I'm not sure if the final score properly reflected the game as a whole. The Stadium is excellent and the playing surface is first class, its a shame that Doncaster cannot entertain a higher level of games (Championship) but we do seem stuck in a Groundhog Day routine and I'm not convinced they can achieve the win for this years promotion. 

Edited by Moonshine

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”