Sun 21 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

I don't think I've ever seen this amount of agreement anywhere on this forum about results. So in the interest of balance (nearly as rare)

Barrow Raiders v Featherstone Rovers KO 15:00
Bradford Bulls v Whitehaven KO 15:00
Halifax Panthers v Newcastle Thunder KO 15:00
Leigh Centurions v York City Knights KO 15:00
London Broncos v Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00
Widnes Vikings v Sheffield Eagles KO 15:00 Draw
Workington Town v Dewsbury Rams KO 14:00 Draw

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I only hope that York come to the LSV with a full as possible team and give it a go, other than saving players and effort for their game v Sheffield the following week in their quest for as high as possible in the play-offs, their renaming fixtures v Newcastle and Workington should be relatively easy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I only hope that York come to the LSV with a full as possible team and give it a go, other than saving players and effort for their game v Sheffield the following week in their quest for as high as possible in the play-offs, their renaming fixtures v Newcastle and Workington should be relatively easy.

Fordy will definitely be fielding his best 17 , got to get something going ready for the playoffs , we still have a team capable of better times , we're just waiting to see it.😀😀😀

• Like 2

Some great match ups this weekend and as ever making predictions tough to make.

However being biased for my home team I think Barrow will edge Fevs, but fingers crossed on this one!!!

The other tough fixtures are Widnes V Sheffield so the advantage goes with the home team and Workington V Dewsbury. Although Workington are unfortunately demoted next season they too have home advantage. Batley will be looking to bounce back from last weeks defeat.

So my winning predictions are in bold.

Barrow Raiders v Featherstone Rovers KO 15:00
Bradford Bulls v Whitehaven KO 15:00
Halifax Panthers v Newcastle Thunder KO 15:00
Leigh Centurions v York City Knights KO 15:00
London Broncos v Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00
Widnes Vikings v Sheffield Eagles KO 15:00 Draw
Workington Town v Dewsbury Rams KO 14:00 Draw

BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png

4 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

That's probably correct you are underdogs , only its not Leigh for a change😉

Underdogs ? We've put 50 and 40 odd past Barrow home and away. I know Barrow are playing well at the moment and are at home and it will be extremely hard for Featherstone but underdogs not in my opinion.

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Come on the plucky Fev underdogs!

My prediction for a Barrow win is being buoyed by me backing Barrow to win at Batley last week at 7/2 with Coral .Either way will be interesting to see how the bookies handicap the match .

3 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Underdogs ? We've put 50 and 40 odd past Barrow home and away. I know Barrow are playing well at the moment and are at home and it will be extremely hard for Featherstone but underdogs not in my opinion.

It was tph who suggested you were underdogs , and you know what I agree with him😉

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Can't see it, Barrow are decent.

Exactly the kind of team we need to be playing as prep for the play offs.  Wouldn't be shocked if we lost, but I want to see the defensive commitment we showed last week. 

Spot on.

On 16/08/2022 at 19:29, John Drake said:

Discuss this weeeknd's Betfred Championship games here.

SUNDAY 21st AUGUST
Barrow Raiders v Featherstone Rovers KO 15:00
Bradford Bulls v Whitehaven KO 15:00
Halifax Panthers v Newcastle Thunder KO 15:00
Leigh Centurions v York City Knights KO 15:00
London Broncos v Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00
Widnes Vikings v Sheffield Eagles KO 15:00
Workington Town v Dewsbury Rams KO 14:00

Every game could go either way and be quite tight bar the Fax and Leigh games.

Expecting all home wins.

3 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

It was tph who suggested you were underdogs , and you know what I agree with him😉

I think TPH suggested we were underdogs with his tongue firmly in his cheek, following several posters tipping Barrow to win.😜

• Thanks 1

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

18 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Featherstone is a former mining town with a population of 15k and by rights the club should be minnows if it survived at all. So in my eyes we're always the underdogs, and it's something to be massively proud of that we're such a competitive club in a league featuring clubs representing much larger towns and cities.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Featherstone is a former mining town with a population of 15k and by rights the club should be minnows if it survived at all. So in my eyes we're always the underdogs, and it's something to be massively proud of that we're such a competitive club in a league featuring clubs representing much larger towns and cities.

Didn't realise Barrow's population is 67,000.

Two weeks ago I watched Barrow at Leigh, in the first half they played very very well indeed, it was the power of the Leigh pack, the better backs and the full time fitness that allowed Leigh to show their superiority that told with a big margin at the end.

I have no doubt being at home and in front of what I expect to be a big attendance Barrow will most probably put that extra effort in and try that bit harder than 2 weeks ago, and if they can somehow muster a first half lead that will give them more impetus for the second half.

But saying that, Fev's pack on paper is a lot more powerful, they have a more expierenced and better backline than Barrow, but as far as superior fitness goes who know's, especially if Barrow are close and the adrenalin kicks.

But I will stick my neck out and say an 18 point margin in favour of Fev, but a loss for Fev will definitely make for the run in to the end of the season much more interesting.

Edited by Harry Stottle

19 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Sounds like you are getting your excuses in for this weekends loss. 😁

15 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Didn't realise Barrow's population is 67,000.

Barrow also have a football league side both clubs have a hard core of supporters and many floating that have no loyalty to ether. The good thing about the rugby is the majority of the team are local lads that have a genuine love of the club also a dedicated local coach who is a big supporter of local amateur sides. The football are scouse journey men don’t even train here don’t understand it really but each to their own. 

Edited by Butch

37 minutes ago, Butch said:

Barrow also have a football league side both clubs have a hard core of supporters and many floating that have no loyalty to ether. The good thing about the rugby is the majority of the team are local lads that have a genuine love of the club also a dedicated local coach who is a big supporter of local amateur sides. The football are scouse journey men don’t even train here don’t understand it really but each to their own. 

I enjoy Football as well as RL ,infact at Barrow v Harrogate today and Barrow  v Rovers tomorrow, did same in May when we come. Go watch Barnsley as well,but Rovers my first love.