Sun 21 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

What on earth happened in Leigh?

I wouldn’t expect even a League 1 side to ship that many points against St Helens… that score is in the Australia versus Russia mismatch category!!! 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

9 minutes ago, RSN said:

I completely get resting players for games but it does leave a bad taste once the inevitable happens. 

It's almost like no one has mentioned the fact that York played the only 17 players available 🙄

• Like 1

Games like Leigh v York happen in rugby league. Mismatches for whatever reason are very unforgiving.

They do no good for the game though. Or either set of supporters.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK you've persuaded me George got my ticket, your lot better be worth it or I am coming after you for a refund🙄

I have to much dignity to say anything relating to that scoreline, but I will say one thing though if any player has ever displayed 100% professional pride then put Chris Clarkson at the top of that list, he never stopped trying.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have to much dignity to say anything relating to that scoreline, but I will say one thing though if any player has ever displayed 100% professional pride then put Chris Clarkson at the top of that list, he never stopped trying.

Ford said in interview that Towse played well in the circumstances too. Good Sporting post that btw.

Bulls were completely dire in attack. Our wingers are good but, for 95% of the game, only see the ball when they run it out of defence.

Bash Bash Bash got us nowhere. Well played, Whitehaven.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

27 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

What on earth happened in Leigh?

I wouldn’t expect even a League 1 side to ship that many points against St Helens… that score is in the Australia versus Russia mismatch category!!! 

23 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

Leigh are far and away the best team in the division, and York have been poor for a good few weeks now, but there's no excusing that.

I doubt if anybody see that score line

16 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

York tried very hard, no soft 20m try's with a fat prop breaking 12 tackles. Leigh are getting better and better, Lam is starting to settle and his pace and step are special.

It doesn't take a genius to see why Powell has let Charnley go,  he must have had 15 passes today at least and never beat one man till the last minute of the game and then he was caught, I think with him and Ferguson as first choice wingers we will struggle in that dept. if we make SL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Havenfan10 said:

Haven beat Bradford 12-4 massive 2pts for us. Big game next week against London. 

Bradford are certainly in freefall and i remember some Bulls fans at the beginning of the season saying they could make the play offs

London have certainly improved since they replaced their coach and it could be a tough game for Haven, but with London safe from relegation London might not have have there full foot on the accelerator.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Featherstone just hold off Barrow,  only one try in it with 3 mins to go,  a great display in attack and defence from Barrows MOM Ritson.  

The game matched the hype!! I thought Barrow were coming on strong in the last 15 minutes but it wasn't to be. Well done Fev's. Hopefully see you guys in the play offs!!

• Like 1
BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png

11 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Featherstone just hold off Barrow,  only one try in it with 3 mins to go,  a great display in attack and defence from Barrows MOM Ritson.  

Rumors persist that some players are not happy with Brian McDermott at Fev, but I'm not sure if any of them have told him to his face.

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Rumors persist that some players are not happy with Brian McDermott at Fev, but I'm not sure if any of them have told him to his face.

Why, what would you expect him to do? I would back a fit 20 30 odd y.o. RL forward against a 52 year old any day.

Edited by Harry Stottle

Fax game pretty much went how expected with Newcastle turning up and fair play to them giving it a real dig which they did not have to do. Another 4 trys for Walmsley who is just a try scoring machine he must be somewhere near the top of the try scoring charts despite missing so many games. 1 more win pretty much guarentees 3rd now although with batley having to go to Leigh its pretty much done which will give us the luxury of resting some more players which we did today and with suspensions coming to an end we are at the business end with a pretty fresh and just about full squad. I just have a sneaky suspicion that its going to be a Leigh V Fax final. York and Batley just look to have run out of steam and both looking a bit broken at the moment while Barrow are hitting for at the right time.

16 minutes ago, Gaz Martin said:

The game matched the hype!! I thought Barrow were coming on strong in the last 15 minutes but it wasn't to be. Well done Fev's. Hopefully see you guys in the play offs!!

I thought it was a terrific game and both teams deserve plenty of credit.

Barrow really give it their all and had quite a few missing, they never threw in the towel and have really had an excellent season.

From a Fev point of view, I thought we were totally dominant for the first half hour until Ford, who was bossing things and looking very good, had to go off injured. Broadbent was sinbinned a few minutes later and Barrow scored two very good tries either side of half time down that left edge where he had been playing.

Matty Wildie switched from 9 to half back when Ford went off and his errant pass led to Barrow's second interception try of the game. Connor Jones replaced Wildie but then had to go off temporarily for a HIA and I think John Davies ended up playing four or five different positions during the game (started at middle, then back row, hooker, half back and maybe even centre).

Not taking anything away from Barrow as they had a real dig, thought Fev's goal-line defence had to be better than it has often been this season to keep them out.

Unfortunately there are yet more injury worries for Fev as not only did Ford go off and not return but Wildie was carried off late on with what looked a bad ankle injury.

Think Barrow will give a good account whoever they come up against in the play-offs.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It doesn't take a genius to see why Powell has let Charnley go,  he must have had 15 passes today at least and never beat one man till the last minute of the game and then he was caught, I think with him and Ferguson as first choice wingers we will struggle in that dept. if we make SL.

In for Briscoe aren't you ?