Thur 18 Aug: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Castleford Tigers KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Castleford Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/22 at 19:30

55 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Hudds easily the better side and played some nice rugby!

Whats with the Hudds fans in here and the massive chips on their shoulders?

Summat to do with years and years of people bemoaning their crowds, saying they play boring rugby, comments made about switching off the game on telly or not bothering watching before KO, etc etc. It does get you down and nobody feels worse about crowds or any other aspect than their own fans.

I moved here from Leigh in 2008 and started attending with hubby. I was also a very enthusiastic supporter of the game in general and was bemused by the fans attitude before games in the pub pre match. I was used to more of a lively atmosphere and made comments to that effect, to be told in good humour that after years of disappointment it was the norm to be glass half empty. 
They are a knowledgeable and genuine crew, who have a cracking sense of humour and welcomed me wholeheartedly, but I think they could do with a bit more positivity and to learn to bite less when trolled. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

8 hours ago, meast said:

Cas were probably depleted though 😂

And it's not fair cos we haven't got any fans!

out of interest do you know how many Cas players were out?

Anyway, we were absolute dog dirt again and the odd super result in between those dog dirt performances doesn't appease many

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Hudds easily the better side and played some nice rugby!

Whats with the Hudds fans in here and the massive chips on their shoulders?

Every post about Huddersfield on social media, on forums like these, there are always comments about our crowds, lack of, our empty seats, our fans etc, as @ammrightly states, we get absolutely slaughtered by most other RL fans about our crowds despite having tried for years to do all we can as a club to attract more , we have a good team but it doesn't matter to most RL fans as all they are interested in is how many empty seats we have, how we don't deserve to be where we are, it's embarrassing, it's not fair that teams who have thousands of fans aren't 3rd etc etc it's tiresome.

So tiresome that Huddersfield fans have now adopted the same attitude that we have no fans, and yet we get pulled up for our self deprecation.

it doesn't matter what Huddersfield do, they'll get hammered for it so why shouldn't our fans join in?

5 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

out of interest do you know how many Cas players were out?

Anyway, we were absolute dog dirt again and the odd super result in between those dog dirt performances doesn't appease many

Probably a few, like Huddersfield and like most teams, both teams still had 17 full time professionals out there.

Your side was a pretty strong looking 17.

And yes you were poor, only the odd error and toe in touch prevented it being 50+

1 hour ago, amm said:

Summat to do with years and years of people bemoaning their crowds, saying they play boring rugby, comments made about switching off the game on telly or not bothering watching before KO, etc etc. It does get you down and nobody feels worse about crowds or any other aspect than their own fans.

I moved here from Leigh in 2008 and started attending with hubby. I was also a very enthusiastic supporter of the game in general and was bemused by the fans attitude before games in the pub pre match. I was used to more of a lively atmosphere and made comments to that effect, to be told in good humour that after years of disappointment it was the norm to be glass half empty. 
They are a knowledgeable and genuine crew, who have a cracking sense of humour and welcomed me wholeheartedly, but I think they could do with a bit more positivity and to learn to bite less when trolled. 

I agree with that M, but if everyday you were told you were worthless and ugly and don't deserve to play with the pretty ones, you'd get a bit narky over time wouldn't you, naturally?

Hope you're both well btw?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, meast said:

Every post about Huddersfield on social media, on forums like these, there are always comments about our crowds, lack of, our empty seats, our fans etc, as @ammrightly states, we get absolutely slaughtered by most other RL fans about our crowds despite having tried for years to do all we can as a club to attract more , we have a good team but it doesn't matter to most RL fans as all they are interested in is how many empty seats we have, how we don't deserve to be where we are, it's embarrassing, it's not fair that teams who have thousands of fans aren't 3rd etc etc it's tiresome.

So tiresome that Huddersfield fans have now adopted the same attitude that we have no fans, and yet we get pulled up for our self deprecation.

it doesn't matter what Huddersfield do, they'll get hammered for it so why shouldn't our fans join in?

But it’s becoming a self fulfilling prophecy now, the most comments come from your own fans it seems.

Also every club gets stick for something or other

As a Leeds fan how many times do we get pulled up on the away end having no roof (even the official Warrington socials were at it this week despite them selling tickets on their own site for the North Stand!)

Either that or we always told we own the RFL etc etc

Its just part of supporting a club

Edited by Chrispmartha

5 minutes ago, meast said:

I agree with that M, but if everyday you were told you were worthless and ugly and don't deserve to play with the pretty ones, you'd get a bit narky over time wouldn't you, naturally?

Hope you're both well btw?

We’re fine thanks, hope you are too x I’ll never forget my first away game with you all at Odsal. It was that cold we all huddled together, minus 6 at KO and minus 10 on the way back to Hudds. Cracking banter and singing, lost but nobody was going to stop singing, even taking the pee out of yourselves. Good times.

• Like 1

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Social media, Facebook especially is an absolute cess pit of opinions, I unfollowed every rugby profile on there sometime ago because it was just so unhinged.

My issue is mainly with professional pundits who often seem to struggle to say anything positive about the Giants under any circumstances, one or two of the Sky team are particularly bad for this, noticeably so - as are a number of RL journalists who are little more than fans with a press badge.

It's their comments that then get taken up by posters on social media and recycled and now it seems we're the team that everyone loves to bash for any reason, and years of this wears you down. 

TL:DR

It's Sky Sports fault. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ant said:

Social media, Facebook especially is an absolute cess pit of opinions, I unfollowed every rugby profile on there sometime ago because it was just so unhinged.

My issue is mainly with professional pundits who often seem to struggle to say anything positive about the Giants under any circumstances, one or two of the Sky team are particularly bad for this, noticeably so - as are a number of RL journalists who are little more than fans with a press badge.

It's their comments that then get taken up by posters on social media and recycled and now it seems we're the team that everyone loves to bash for any reason, and years of this wears you down. 

It's Sky Sports fault. 

are you kidding me???

Yesterday was an absolute w4nkfest over this years darlings

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

1 minute ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

are you kidding me???

Yesterday was an absolute w4nkfest over this years darlings

One swallow does not a summer make 😉

Aaaaaanyway 

Back to the game, and Cas tried to follow Salfords game plan from last week, but didn't have the edge to do it and moreover our defence had strengthened significantly, as had our attack, especially in the back 30.

I was trying to pick my MotM and came up with 4 or 5 names, mostly forwards for a very good team effort

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ant said:

It's Sky Sports fault. 

I think I have to take you up on this.

Although Sky commentary and punditry does tend to follow the route of most RL journalism which favours the usual suspects as the screen saver group their comments on the Giants have not been too critical.

Some pundits say things as, Wilkin pointed out, because silence is not a great televisual/audio experience or a good look.

Sports journalism tends to focus on winners so if you lose or are inconsistent you tend to be pushed aside a bit.

This is shown in the increasing level of Giants positivity throughout this season.

So neither Sky nor refs have got it in for you.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

16 minutes ago, Ant said:

It's Sky Sports fault. 

You sound a tad paranoid.

Hudds were getting plenty of praise last night

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ant said:

Have to agree with you on this point though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amm said:

Great post amm

Though i think you couldn't pick out any fans from the crowd as far as being negative about the game is concerned.

We take the pee out of most RL fans re our crowds these days simply because we got tired of trying to defend and justify them to the anti-Huddersfield brigade, as we keep saying full seats don't win you games, although when we're poor on the field they tend to leave the empty seats alone a bit until we have a decent team so they have to turn their attention back to the empty seats to fulfill and release their annoyance at us - fans and journalists are just as bad these days, i actually think it annoys them more these days that we don't bite anymore.

Anyway top 4 sorted - see some of you in the play-offs!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Not my fault Cas we're so poop 😜

I thought it was Hudds who were brilliant not Cas who were poop - you can't have it both ways

10 minutes ago, daz39 said:

We take the pee out of most RL fans re our crowds these days simply because we got tired of trying to defend and justify them to the anti-Huddersfield brigade, as we keep saying full seats don't win you games, although when we're poor on the field they tend to leave the empty seats alone a bit until we have a decent team so they have to turn their attention back to the empty seats to fulfill and release their annoyance at us - fans and journalists are just as bad these days, i actually think it annoys them more these days that we don't bite anymore.

Anyway top 4 sorted - see some of you in the play-offs!!!

There is no ‘anti-Huddersfield’ brigade.

all trams get stick from opposing fans for one reason or other.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

But it’s becoming a self fulfilling prophecy now, the most comments come from your own fans it seems.

Also every club gets stick for something or other

As a Leeds fan how many times do we get pulled up on the away end having no roof (even the official Warrington socials were at it this week despite them selling tickets on their own site for the North Stand!)

Either that or we always told we own the RFL etc etc

Its just part of supporting a club

I believe it’s Saints that are now the darlings of the RFL. But they do have a roof at their west stand. 

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

There is no ‘anti-Huddersfield’ brigade.

all trams get stick from opposing fans for one reason or other.

Funnily enough i don't ever see 100's of comments about crowd numbers or lack of them following Wakefield or Salford home games despite them consistently being lower than ours but EVERY social media post on Facebook is littered with comments about no fans, empty stadium, empty seats etc after we have played.

Less fans in smaller stadiums is fine apparently, to me that is an anti hudds agenda!.

• Like 1