Thur 18 Aug: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Castleford Tigers KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Castleford Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/22 at 19:30

If i was a Huddersfield fan i wouldn’t bother about the comments, they have a passionate chairman who is willing to put money into the club. They also seem a well run club looking from the outside and i think a lot of supporters wish they had someone like Mr Davy with his cash running their club. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, amm said:

We’re fine thanks, hope you are too x I’ll never forget my first away game with you all at Odsal. It was that cold we all huddled together, minus 6 at KO and minus 10 on the way back to Hudds. Cracking banter and singing, lost but nobody was going to stop singing, even taking the pee out of yourselves. Good times.

I remember it well, people flocked to Odsal to get a bit of warmth as it's nearer the earths core than Rooley Avenue!

I seem to remember we were all fairly fresh too 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ant said:

Social media, Facebook especially is an absolute cess pit of opinions, I unfollowed every rugby profile on there sometime ago because it was just so unhinged.

My issue is mainly with professional pundits who often seem to struggle to say anything positive about the Giants under any circumstances, one or two of the Sky team are particularly bad for this, noticeably so - as are a number of RL journalists who are little more than fans with a press badge.

It's their comments that then get taken up by posters on social media and recycled and now it seems we're the team that everyone loves to bash for any reason, and years of this wears you down. 

TL:DR

It's Sky Sports fault. 

There was a deluded Hull fan claiming that Huddersfield only had 200 home fans last time they came 😄 

Also, the usual guff about how we are outnumbered every week.... it can be quite fun toying with these thicko's though sometimes 🙂 

8 minutes ago, meast said:

Anyway, on the field stuff, we can't finish lower than 4th now, not bad given that most people tipped us to finish between 9th-12th, a lot of people, our own fans included had us down as relegation fodder..

Let's hope we can finally sort our play off form out!

I assume you're talking Giants here and as play offs are essentailly knockout you have Watto and that means a more than even chance of winning.

I don't know who had you down for the R in P&R but I hope they were pundits giving it large for who will and who won't.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

48 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Funnily enough i don't ever see 100's of comments about crowd numbers or lack of them following Wakefield or Salford home games despite them consistently being lower than ours but EVERY social media post on Facebook is littered with comments about no fans, empty stadium, empty seats etc after we have played.

Less fans in smaller stadiums is fine apparently, to me that is an anti hudds agenda!.

I don’t see 100s of posts slating Huddersfield. EVERY post, really 🙂

You do realise how SM algorithms work?

Just now, daz39 said:

Well i do and a lot of other Giants fans do judging by the replies.

That’s my point, I see tonnes of anti leeds posts on my SM, just as every other supporter of other clubs see anti their club posts on their SM.

Theres no big anti Huddersfield thing going on.

30 minutes ago, meast said:

Anyway, on the field stuff, we can't finish lower than 4th now, not bad given that most people tipped us to finish between 9th-12th, a lot of people, our own fans included had us down as relegation fodder..

Let's hope we can finally sort our play off form out!

Did they?  Seemed obvious to me Hudds would improve significantly this year and Watson was on the right track.

1 hour ago, meast said:

There was a deluded Hull fan claiming that Huddersfield only had 200 home fans last time they came 😄 

Also, the usual guff about how we are outnumbered every week.... it can be quite fun toying with these thicko's though sometimes 🙂 

Ahem

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I'm not a HRLFC. supporter and i know it's pointless looking back but It's a great shame the old Fartown wasn't invested in.A fantastic ground in its day.With the cricket ground,could have been a superb sports stadium.Along with the football tragedies and other things of course it cost RL a great deal. H.Town have never wanted RL with them but with out them the new stadium would never been have built .

44 minutes ago, silcoates said:

I'm not a HRLFC. supporter and i know it's pointless looking back but It's a great shame the old Fartown wasn't invested in.A fantastic ground in its day.With the cricket ground,could have been a superb sports stadium.Along with the football tragedies and other things of course it cost RL a great deal. H.Town have never wanted RL with them but with out them the new stadium would never been have built .

That's the truth, both clubs needed huge investment into their grounds and only one way to do it was shared ownership (another thing plenty folk forget is the Giants are co-owners, not tenants) 

The old Spaines Road ground was a beautiful old place with the best views from the side terrace of anywhere in the game and huge flat pitch that effectively spawned the modern game.

But no money to fix it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ant said:

That's the truth, both clubs needed huge investment into their grounds and only one way to do it was shared ownership (another thing plenty folk forget is the Giants are co-owners, not tenants) 

The old Spaines Road ground was a beautiful old place with the best views from the side terrace of anywhere in the game and huge flat pitch that effectively spawned the modern game.

But no money to fix it.

If only Ken Davy had come along 6 years earlier eh? who knows what could have been, i'm sure i remember reading or hearing it would cost £75,000 to get Fartown up to standards, you couldn't get a toilet block for that nowadays never mind a spruced up stadium!.

It's still grinding to see the pitch/terrace bank still there 30 years later and nothing we can ever do to relocate there.

Edited by daz39
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, daz39 said:

If only Ken Davy had come along 6 years earlier eh? who knows what could have been, i'm sure i remember reading or hearing it would cost £75,000 to get Fartown up to standards, you couldn't get a toilet block for that nowadays never mind a spruced up stadium!.

It's still grinding to see the pitch/terrace bank still there 30 years later and nothing we can ever do to relocate there.

Still there?  Are there any pictures of that around still?  As it is now I mean.  I do get interested in old grounds, sad I know…

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

For access and parking the new stadium is far superior. All Fartown really has going for it nowadays is the memories.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

Still there?  Are there any pictures of that around still?  As it is now I mean.  I do get interested in old grounds, sad I know…

Some photos in these:

http://weallstandtogether.blogspot.com/2019/03/fartown-ground-nearly-lost_1.html?m=1

http://www.colingreenphotography.co.uk/2017/01/fartown-rugby-and-cricket-grounds.html?m=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, daz39 said:

The problem with that as happened with Knowsley road is it cost £75k to get it up to speed one year then £150k the year after then £250k. In the end I think Saints were spending £500k + each off season just to get a safety certificate signed off. It isn’t sustainable. 

• Like 1

IF Fartown could have been rebuilt, like Naughton Park was then it would have been brilliant, but it was too far gone, it was like Belle Vue/Odsal is now, unfortunately, Huddersfield didn't have any central funding available back then to keep it just about going.

Anyway, we have a decent stadium, it's just not home, it's too big, and it's expensive.

39 minutes ago, meast said:

Anyway, we have a decent stadium, it's just not home, it's too big, and it's expensive.

Its home to me, all grounds are expensive, and better too big than too small so you're limited