Championship Round 24. Barrow v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 21st August 2022.

marklaspalmas

10 minutes ago, haskey said:

I listened on the match on Radio Cumbria. and it seems like another horror show on defence.

I thought it was one of our best defensive efforts of the season. They scored two interception tries and two through the gap down the left hand side whilst we were down to 12 after Broadbent had been binned.

They didn't have a set inside our 20 until the last minute of the first half, but we stopped them plenty of times close to our line in the second half. We restricted them pretty well during yardage sets too, their big plays came from some good skill from their lads.

All in all I'd say we deserve plenty of credit, Barrow had plenty of advversity with injuries etc too but we dug in very well.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, haskey said:

I listened on the match on Radio Cumbria. and it seems like another horror show on defence. Ford off with a head knock and Wildie with a serious leg injury , it seems.  Just as the play offs are approaching Just our luck.

Not really defence was quite good,  never had a sniff near our line.   Scored 2 tries through interceptions and two when we're down to 12 men and had just lost Ford.   Once we were organised we looke defensively good.   Ford was again unplayable before they dropped him on his head 🤕 and got rid of that threat. 

With regard to our defence. radio does not always give a flavour of the match. Not being there I beg to you lads who were there and correct my assessment. 

31 minutes ago, haskey said:

With regard to our defence. radio does not always give a flavour of the match. Not being there I beg to you lads who were there and correct my assessment. 

Also we scored 7 tries and missed 4 kicks so it could have been 42,where as Barrow converted all their tries.

Didn't go today but i expected us to win by 20 points.We didn't achieve that but normally you would not concede 2 tries from interceptions in a match.We keep winning and that should ensure 2nd spot with a win next Saturday.Leigh are by far the best team i have seen in The Championship credit to them for getting the right mix of players this season.The fact they scored 100 points against York dosn't change anything but i am really surprised that a side of York's ability conceded 100.When  playing Leigh we have scored on the edges so i know we can score tries against them.if we get to the final against them i can only see one way we may win.No mistakes .only the odd penalty against us and keep them pinned inside their own half.It may mean kicking early in the tackle count 3 or 4 40/20 attempts and make them have it in the tackle.No standing and letting them run,get into their faces make them know it is not easy,then we have a slight chance.If each of our players can get stuck into their opponent and stop them passing the ball doubt may set in to this invincible Leigh side.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Didn't go today but i expected us to win by 20 points.We didn't achieve that but normally you would not concede 2 tries from interceptions in a match.We keep winning and that should ensure 2nd spot with a win next Saturday.Leigh are by far the best team i have seen in The Championship credit to them for getting the right mix of players this season.The fact they scored 100 points against York dosn't change anything but i am really surprised that a side of York's ability conceded 100.When  playing Leigh we have scored on the edges so i know we can score tries against them.if we get to the final against them i can only see one way we may win.No mistakes .only the odd penalty against us and keep them pinned inside their own half.It may mean kicking early in the tackle count 3 or 4 40/20 attempts and make them have it in the tackle.No standing and letting them run,get into their faces make them know it is not easy,then we have a slight chance.If each of our players can get stuck into their opponent and stop them passing the ball doubt may set in to this invincible Leigh side.

Pass that on to Mac and you never know😉

22 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Can see Fev v Fax being a right bruising semi, Batley or Barrow less so for us. Leigh v Fax final would be interesting

It wouldn't be interesting in the slightest although I do see it as a possibility. Fact is we came to the LSV and played well enough to beat the majority of championship teams yet got hammered, I see the final for whoever gets there as a nothing game barring some extreme circumstances Leigh will be winning it comfortably. If it happens I expect Fev V fax to be the game of the playoffs though. 😀

41 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

It wouldn't be interesting in the slightest although I do see it as a possibility. Fact is we came to the LSV and played well enough to beat the majority of championship teams yet got hammered, I see the final for whoever gets there as a nothing game barring some extreme circumstances Leigh will be winning it comfortably. If it happens I expect Fev V fax to be the game of the playoffs though. 😀

Fev v 'fax will definitely be the game of the play offs.  I'd guess it's not possible for there to be a Fev v 'fax final, assuming you finish 3rd.  It really would be amusing if Leigh saved their one bad day at the office for their semi.

28 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Fev v 'fax will definitely be the game of the play offs.  I'd guess it's not possible for there to be a Fev v 'fax final, assuming you finish 3rd.  It really would be amusing if Leigh saved their one bad day at the office for their semi.

There one bad day at the office was Barrow away then they used their get out of jail card lol 😆 

• Like 1

It's difficult to imagine it won't be Fev v Fax in the semis looking at the table and given York's recent implosions. Fax are certainly a better team than last year and at the moment don't look as worn down as they did at the backend last year.

There seem to be a lot of people who fancy Fax to turn us over if that is indeed the semi final. They clearly have been playing well and definitely have a chance in what should be a cracking game but I do wonder if they have the size to cope with our pack if we get a reasonably clear run with injuries/suspensions. We have some really big units in our pack in Kopczak, Springer and Eseh plus Moors who in my opinion has been our best forward this year despite his age.

A lot was made about Fax being unlucky in the game at POR earlier this year but despite not playing especially well we did score four tries to two and none of the four guys I mentioned above played. Springer has been really good since returning to us and whatever the reasons why Grix couldn't get along with him I'm happy he's with us.

The form book says it's hard to see either team getting close to Leigh in a final but I'd still rather see us get there and take our shot than get beat in a semi.