NRLW 2022 starts this weekend

I'm really looking forward to this. The standard is high and most games are quality 

Eels, Roosters, Titans, Dragons, Knights and Broncos line up in an expanded NRLW.

I have WatchNRL, but are some games going to be on Sky in the UK 

Given the up-coming WC it's worth a watch, if only to see the amazing talent our lasses are going to have to overcome this autumn.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I have WatchNRL, but are some games going to be on Sky in the UK 

Some early early kick offs but looks like Sunday at 9.05am on Sky Sports Arena has Newcastle v Brisbane.

(Source: rugbyleagueontv)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It's a great competition, really looking forward to it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Copa said:

An NRLW game will be the first ever match at the new Sydney Football Stadium (Allianz stadium).

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/08/13/nrlw-grand-final-rematch-to-open-allianz-stadium/amp/

They could easily be playing in front of ~ 30 000 people given that many people will probably get there early to experience the new stadium.

NRLW Broncos hosting a stand alone game at Suncorp in the second week for their game against the Roosters which could also draw a big crowd. Very exciting.

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

They could easily be playing in front of ~ 30 000 people given that many people will probably get there early to experience the new stadium.

NRLW Broncos hosting a stand alone game at Suncorp in the second week for their game against the Roosters which could also draw a big crowd. Very exciting.

That game is down to be played at Redcliffe. If it is then that is a real missed opportunity to showcase the women at Suncorp.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That game is down to be played at Redcliffe. If it is then that is a real missed opportunity to showcase the women at Suncorp.

I`m pretty sure it has been shifted to Suncorp.

And btw @Scubby live on Channel 9 fta and Foxtel as well.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Copa said:

That’s next year. The mighty green machine will also enter the competition.

The new teams will be the Canberra Raiders, Cronulla Sharks, North Queensland Cowboys and Wests Tigers.

Even amongst the current six the talent that's crossed over from rugby union is amazing, so with four additional sides it could be nigh on impossible for the other code to hang on to players.

Could a Warriors team hoover up on talent in NZ? 

5 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

The new teams will be the Canberra Raiders, Cronulla Sharks, North Queensland Cowboys and Wests Tigers.

Even amongst the current six the talent that's crossed over from rugby union is amazing, so with four additional sides it could be nigh on impossible for the other code to hang on to players.

I honestly don't see how women's RU in Australia can keep hold of any player who is in it for anything other than fun. They were, I believe, essentially paying $0 for their domestic female players in the most recent season.

Pity.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 17/08/2022 at 17:29, gingerjon said:

Some early early kick offs but looks like Sunday at 9.05am on Sky Sports Arena has Newcastle v Brisbane.

(Source: rugbyleagueontv)

Are you sure it's 9 o'clock? I thought it was 10. I'll set my reminder earlier, just in case.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you're new to NRLW, enjoy!

On the Brisbane side, look out for Ali Brigginshaw being everywhere and pulling all the string, plus Chelsea Lenarduzzi as a big physical threat who doesn't mind getting under opponents' skins.

Newcastle: Caitlin Moran is tiny but tough and an excellent HB. If she's playing in combination with Kirra Dib, it should be good.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Are you sure it's 9 o'clock? I thought it was 10. I'll set my reminder earlier, just in case.

Just going on the website, haven’t checked the listings.

Just now, gingerjon said:

Just going on the website, haven’t checked the listings.

The website's usually spot on, but I looked at the Foxtel listings and bunged it through a time zone calculator set to Sunday: https://www.foxtel.com.au/tv-guide/Live-NRLW-Round-1-Knights-v-Broncos/134827966 

So if nothing's showing at 9am, don't give up!

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I honestly don't see how women's RU in Australia can keep hold of any player who is in it for anything other than fun. They were, I believe, essentially paying $0 for their domestic female players in the most recent season.

Pity.

Olympic 7s will remain a big draw, but if NRLW is clever about it a workaround can be achieved.

• Like 2

On 19/08/2022 at 03:03, gingerjon said:

Pity.

https://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_/id/33414337/western-force-pay-super-w-players?platform=amp

Some were paying a bit more than $0. But nowhere near minimum wage.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

Look if we can keep the wrestle out of the Women`s League and maintain the attractive open style that has made it so attractive over the last couple of years Rugby League could really be onto something with Women`s League.

Our main competitor down here is throwing bucket loads at their competition : 18 teams; $ 61 000 minimum wage; marquee players earning six-figure salaries and heaps of publicity.

The problem they have had though is that given the nature of their game, 36 players on the field at any one time combined with the women`s inability to kick the ball as far as the men ( this is no slight on the women just a fact given the difference in the strength between men and women ) has lead to horrible congestion on the field which in turn leads to an inability to get a good catch on the ball, which in turn leads to more congestion around the ball and hence a vicious cycle that has made the game considered to be very unattractive even to the most ardent of fumbleball fans. It`s ratings have been reflective of that.

We`ve heard a lot of excuses from fumbleball apologists - early days, comp growing too fast, the time of year played ( they`ve shifted that - always a sign of desperation ) all problems the NRLW has faced, our comp is way younger, and it hasn`t detracted from the attractiveness of our women`s game.

League has the advantage that power is not a key requirement of the most important part of the game - passing and catching - something which the women are excelling at.

League too also has the wonderful advantage of the well established Touch and Tag Rugby League pathways - which is huge in Oz -  and something none of our competitors can match. It`s a great way to introduce people to participating in the game.

If the NRL can get the money part right in the NRLW then it can potentially be a game changer for women`s sport in this country and feed into greater growth for both our supporter base and our male game.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 2

On 18/08/2022 at 17:57, Number 16 said:

What's the latest on the NZ Warriors' women's team? The plan was for them to return to the NRLW this year, but it hasn't happened.

Ralph Waldo Emerson