Yorkshire League & Lancashire League

On 15/09/2022 at 16:07, Barley Mow said:

With Sheffield and Dewsbury finishing off the regular season last night, I thought I'd update these in case anyone is interested:

Yorks.png.7af7d078ff9f4d6ff0b5037aab3a9c53.png

Lancs.png.a740bb71059428921390117ee154f21d.png

other.png.c0e932df763811301a8865f21c61eb8d.png

Interesting that Wakefield finished above Hull FC and Saints and Wigan finished level as did Salford and Warrington.

West Midlands finished above Skolars on goal difference

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 17/08/2022 at 19:34, Barley Mow said:

No, this isn't a call to bring back the County Leagues.

Just for fun (I know, I've got an odd idea of what's fun) I worked out what league tables would look like so far this season for matches played between teams from their own counties.

Below are the Yorkshire, Lancashire and 'others' league tables for the professional/semi-pro divisions.

Without wanting this to get into another what constitutes Lancashire discussion - I've used the traditional counties rather than current administrative areas.

Loop fixtures & Summer Bash mean that there will be different numbers of matches played by teams in Super League and Championship come the end of the season so I've added a percentage points column.

Yk.png.e381d379dbc330f0d727019a30fb7169.png

Ln.png.01a8cc9e6f841c11591426faee08b7b3.png

Ew.png.467bd2470cad68a910f9be3a084a7d9b.png

Most of it is pretty predictable based on the actual league tables, but Leeds are above Castleford and Halifax above Featherstone.

why is leeds above Castleford not predicable 5th v 7th after all

On 18/08/2022 at 11:14, Barley Mow said:

But I doubt many people would be in favour of us now having Leeds only playing Saints once a season and having Saints v Rochdale and Leeds v Doncaster home and away instead.

Maybe Leeds fans might 😂

actually, way back in the day a Yorkshire team was a bit different hence the fixtures for leeds played 38 of which only 10 were against Yorkshire club. thus, leeds were not included in the Yorkshire league that season as they played in the Lancashire league.

i think clubs were invited to apply to play in the Lancashire league and leeds did so on more than one season due to the better attendances expected

Edited by paul hicks

With Sheffield and Dewsbury finishing off the regular season last night, I thought I'd update these in case anyone is interested:

Interesting that Wakefield finished above Hull FC and Saints and Wigan finished level as did Salford and Warrington.

If only Huddersfield hadn't dropped 3 points to Leeds, we'd have been even bigger winners 😁 🏆

Thanks for doing this as it’s very interesting.

Could be something that the rugby league press could pick up on as well for next year.

Any chance of working out through aggregate results on games played this year who tops the Lancashire Super League between Saints and Wigan.

You could use the league matches between the two maybe?

Then if you wanted you could work out who would be cross-Pennine champs for Super League, Championship and League 1 using say Huddersfield’s aggregate results against Saints, Leigh’s against Featherstone and Keighley’s against Swinton.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, paul hicks said:

yes but the playoffs were not taking place then and you take the season as a whole if you want to do it correctly

All I was saying (if I remember correctly) was that, with how the actual overall table stacked up at that stage of the season, I wouldn't have predicted Leeds being above Castleford in a table of Yorkshire teams at that time. Likewise, looking at the end of the season Super League table, I probably wouldn't have predicted that Salford and Warrington would be level on points in a table of Lancashire teams.

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Thanks for doing this as it’s very interesting.

Could be something that the rugby league press could pick up on as well for next year.

Any chance of working out through aggregate results on games played this year who tops the Lancashire Super League between Saints and Wigan.

You could use the league matches between the two maybe?

Then if you wanted you could work out who would be cross-Pennine champs for Super League, Championship and League 1 using say Huddersfield’s aggregate results against Saints, Leigh’s against Featherstone and Keighley’s against Swinton.

If I find the time and inclination, I might record the same tables on a match by match basis from the start of the season next year (rather than going back and catching up as I did this year). If I do that, I'll probably keep a track of points difference in case teams finish level on percentage points again.

• Like 1