NRL to play Double header in Perth

This is just one more sign of a complete breakdown of standards in our society. 😀

The term has been borrowed from baseball and its meaning misrepresented by those too morally debased to care to get it right.😀😀😀

" Unless specifically described otherwise, the two games in a doubleheader are between the same two teams and paid for with a single admission price, and the second game starts shortly after the end of the first game."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Yes, Government supported some rumours say.

Some people never learn from the past.

At least that would be a real stab at expansion by a body that can well afford it and make it happen.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Some people never learn from the past.

At least that would be a real stab at expansion by a body that can well afford it and make it happen.

Team 18 wherever it is will come 2028 at the start of the next broadcast deal.

3 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Team 18 wherever it is will come 2028 at the start of the next broadcast deal.

Perth and Adelaide then 18 &19

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2022-perth-north-sydney-bears-buzz-peter-vlandys-western-australia-18th-team/news-story/4f73bf81edba37166f12ced97cf46128

Since the above article was written there was another meeting in Perth when Origin was in town between the WA Govt and North Sydney representatives. Billy Moore, former player and current board member for the Bears discussed this on Fox and stated these were very positive meetings and the NRL are very keen on the idea.

Regarding the NRL in Perth, games have been played here regularly for over 10 years. An NRL double header was played at the new Optus Stadium when it opened with a crowd of 40k, an NRL team would play out of HBF park that has a capacity of 20k and has plans for a potential further upgrade if necessary.

image.jpeg.da16089ee850e72a3f1d7458c30d5275.jpeg

Rugby League holds the 4 highest attendances for this ground under its current configuration, all sellouts of just over 20k. Highest is a test between Kangaroos and Kiwis in 2016, the other 3 are games between Souths and the Warriors 2013-2015. The ground also hosted England v France at the last WC and got 14K.

In recent times Perth has had 2 sellout Origin games of over 60K at Optus stadium.

There is plenty of potential for a team in Perth, just needs to be done correctly to make it work.

Edited by Balmain1969
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Balmain1969 said:

There is plenty of potential for a team in Perth, just needs to be done correctly to make it work.

Quite incredible that every other nationwide sporting code has team`s that play out of Perth/Western Australia : soccer ; basketball ; netball ; union ; fumbleball. 

There is a very strong  `us against the rest of Oz ` mentality in W.A. which almost makes it a certainty that Western Australians would get behind a team in the the toughest sporting code in Oz, by a country mile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Quite incredible that every other nationwide sporting code has team`s that play out of Perth/Western Australia : soccer ; basketball ; netball ; union ; fumbleball. 

There is a very strong  `us against the rest of Oz ` mentality in W.A. which almost makes it a certainty that Western Australians would get behind a team in the the toughest sporting code in Oz, by a country mile.

I don't know enough about the way Aussie's think and behave to form an opinion on whether Perth or NZ is a better option.

I do hope that a second club in NZ will come about, which I'm sure will give the game a boost in NZ, strengthen their national team and put a dent in the RaRa ego worldwide. 

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

I don't know enough about the way Aussie's think and behave to form an opinion on whether Perth or NZ is a better option.

I do hope that a second club in NZ will come about, which I'm sure will give the game a boost in NZ, strengthen their national team and put a dent in the RaRa ego worldwide. 

Irish I think we have to go with a team in Perth first because of the lack of a truly national footprint is holding back our broadcast  deal value and also sponsors that want national exposure. 

A boom team out of W.A. would have every chance as being as wealthy as our other one city teams, namely Melbourne, Brisbane and you could throw in the NQ Cowboys into that given they represent a vast region and number of people.

Interesting to note that both Melbourne and Brisbane  bring in over $10m worth of sponsor revenue every year and the Cowboys over $7m annually despite being very much a bottom of the ladder team over the last few years. Compare this with the Cronulla Sharks who have consistently been a top 4 to 8 team over recent seasons yet can only attract about $2.5m in annual sponsorship revenue. 

With regards N.Z. I`d be going there after Perth. given the extra money Sky are putting in and if the Kiwi`s can realise their potential over the next couple of years we may see bids coming out of N.Z. for the 19th or 20th franchise. Given the woes of our national union team I`m pretty confident that it wouldn`t take much for an annual Kiwi/Kangaroo clash to replace the Bledisloe ( the formerly much hyped annual trans-Tasman union clash ) as one of the great sporting clashes on the annual Australian sporting calendar. Look out All-Blacks then as loads of New Zealand`s best start considering League so they can participate in this event.

• Like 1