When I were a lad I Used to Read (spoiler not the theme of the Thread)

I used to read all sorts of stories of grifters, confidence tricksters and famous conmen from all sorts of sources. This modern tale reminded me of some of them

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/former-builder-faked-phds-snag-27781149

I used to admire people who sold the Eiffel Tower to some unsuspecting rich person and wish I could achieve that level of confidence to pull things off. I suppose it's a comment on these times that now I just think of the man in this narrative as just another Boris Johnson. This is not a political story it's a cheat's tale.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

When I was a lad, I used to read but now I just wait for the film to be released.😉

👿

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

I used to read all sorts of stories of grifters, confidence tricksters and famous conmen 

So did I, Oxford, when I were a lad.  But there are only so many political biographies you can read before you want a change!

• Haha 2

I grew up in the "ampersand" era of comics - Whizzer & Chips, Shiver & Shake, Whoopee & Wow.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think you're all telling lies to gain high end jobs, you bunch of Bojos. Grifter to a man or woman if you are one.

The man in the OP could learn alot from you lot.

I'll have to rewrite my CV to catch up to you all.

I loved The Guinness Book of Records . Id get it as a christmas present every year . I liked watching Record Breakers to , especially Norris on the spot and was continually amazed at how he knew everything . Of course all this was well before it just got very silly and full of utterly pointless made up stuff literally noone else did , like most jammy wagon wheels balanced on head while reciting the complete works of Shakespeare while on a unicycle … on the summit of Ben Nevis 

• Haha 1

I loved Marvel Comics and had a collection of over 200 would've been worth a bit now.

No one seems interested in the OP story a modern age grifter who seems to have made a profit from his villainy.

23 hours ago, Oxford said:

I loved Marvel Comics and had a collection of over 200 would've been worth a bit now.

No one seems interested in the OP story a modern age grifter who seems to have made a profit from his villainy.

Most of us avoid clicking on your links, owing to fact that you repeatedly attempt to start a political controversy on this non-political section.

I only look at your posts to see if the mods are awake.

• Like 2

Not when I was a kid, but when I was in my twenties ... American Underground Comix. Still got a boxful in the attic.

Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Wonder Warthog, Checkered Demon etc

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 19/08/2022 at 21:58, Futtocks said:

I grew up in the "ampersand" era of comics - Whizzer & Chips, Shiver & Shake, Whoopee & Wow.

there were some great characters in those fleetwood comics and some top cartoon highly skilled artists - sids snake - ivor lott - the slimms -jack pott - to name just a few - I have no doubt the creators of viz must of been influenced by a lot of these comic strips at the time

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• 2 weeks later...

comics: started with the Topper, moved on to the Beezer, then Rover, Adventure and Lion. Then spent some time like many post war boys reading those ghastly war comics where the germans said; 'dumpkopf', and the brits said 'take that fritz'. Then moved on to Trains Illustrated.

books; pretty much all of RM Ballantyne, then Dickens, and Conan Doyle. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Used to love the Victor  , especially Alf Tupper who was nicknamed the tough of the track , used to train on Fish and chips (as you do) , and then thrash those posh university types on the track . And also the Lion with flying ace Paddy Payne who used to drop bombs on the Germans with the phrase "share that amongst you sausage eaters" , not at all stereotypical of the chap ........trouble is i got to read them 2nd hand , while i was at school my Dad used to have them read long before i got home .

I heard Captain Hurricane became chief negotiator for Brexit after leaving the Marines -

Captain Hurricane

Heroes and villains, or mere comic-book characters? - Voice of The North

Edited by Exiled Townie

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website