Cornwall experience

Wow what a day, hats off to Cornwall RLFC for the occasion, enjoyed by everyone I spoke to.Β 

Some very entertaining rugby, a pure version of the sport with raw talent against seasoned pros.

Cornwall were enthusiastic and had a good vocal crowd behind them, with lots of field position and possession they eventually turned it into points.

Cornwall were 12 - 0 up on 38 minutes when they gave away a penalty, gifting possession and territory to Oldham who weren't going to let that pass without returning with points and behold managed to get a try just before half time. 12-6 on half time was tough for Cornwall who probably deserved more.

Second half saw Oldham up the tempo with the ruck speed a visual increase in determination saw them score again shortly after kick off and despite the long period of dominance Cornwall seemed to find this a bitter pill. Despite the challenges thrown at them Cornwall continued to apply themselves and it remained 12-12 for some time. But as the game progressed and well conditioned and determined Oldham team made their ability, experience and above all patience count as the dam broke and Oldham ran in several trys to seal the game.

This kept Oldham's play off hopes alive and shows their traveling supporters they can play.

Cornwall is the new heartland😁 it's hard to ignore the impact Cornwall RLFC have had in just one season, I'm excited for their future and as Neil Kelly told the Dockhouse Rugby Show πŸ‰πŸ“ΊπŸŽ™οΈ they will build on thisΒ 

Chris Hamilton just like the team had the last word as he thanked the amazing travelling fans for their vocal support.

Here's to a great occasion, great RL and to the fans who made this a special occasion. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Screenshot_2022-08-21-17-00-39-28_45e686c594768066ad9911d54d96f72b.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Wow what a day, hats off to Cornwall RLFC for the occasion, enjoyed by everyone I spoke to.Β 

Some very entertaining rugby, a pure version of the sport with raw talent against seasoned pros.

Cornwall were enthusiastic and had a good vocal crowd behind them, with lots of field position and possession they eventually turned it into points.

Cornwall were 12 - 0 up on 38 minutes when they gave away a penalty, gifting possession and territory to Oldham who weren't going to let that pass without returning with points and behold managed to get a try just before half time. 12-6 on half time was tough for Cornwall who probably deserved more.

Second half saw Oldham up the tempo with the ruck speed a visual increase in determination saw them score again shortly after kick off and despite the long period of dominance Cornwall seemed to find this a bitter pill. Despite the challenges thrown at them Cornwall continued to apply themselves and it remained 12-12 for some time. But as the game progressed and well conditioned and determined Oldham team made their ability, experience and above all patience count as the dam broke and Oldham ran in several trys to seal the game.

This kept Oldham's play off hopes alive and shows their traveling supporters they can play.

Cornwall is the new heartland😁 it's hard to ignore the impact Cornwall RLFC have had in just one season, I'm excited for their future and as Neil Kelly told the Dockhouse Rugby Show πŸ‰πŸ“ΊπŸŽ™οΈ they will build on thisΒ 

Chris Hamilton just like the team had the last word as he thanked the amazing travelling fans for their vocal support.

Here's to a great occasion, great RL and to the fans who made this a special occasion. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Β 

Really great to here you enjoyed the trip so much.
Cornwall RL have done a fantastic job in such a short period of time. Yesterday there was a number of local businesses and Cornish corporate people around. Just as important as the very vocal crowd of 1200.

There is so much potential in Cornwall for RL. Especially with so little other competition on the live sporting front.

We have taken a few drubbings, but that is absolutely true of any new team with very little time to prep, not forgetting the lack of pre-season.

Relationships are being built with local communities and other RU clubs too. At half-time, seeing Penryn RU juniors playing a game of tag rugby league was really great to see. From a fan perspective, Penryn RU have been fantastic this year.

The world-cup trophy tour in just topped off a really successful debut year off. Never did I think I would ever see RLWC trophies in a very busy farmers market in Truro city centre. Moreover, it was actively engaging with by a steady stream of really interested people actively seeking out more information. Initiatives like this are engaging people and will only help to grow the awareness of RL and sell tickets at Cornwall RL.

BBC Cornwall covering the games, with nothing other than amateur cricket to compete with has been superb too.

The beginnings of something really special are starting to take shape. It's rightly being done slowly and carefully, trying to balance risk vs. reward. Yes, other things will need to develop and building the pyramid to support the professional game in Cornwall is essential in the med-longer term.

But for the moment, let's take a moment to just say a bloody good job for year one!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

The crowds have been very very good

This is indeed a very impressive first season

I hope people simply dont just look at the results as this is a club with huge potential

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, EggFace said:

How much were tickets and I wonder how many freebies.

If Cornwall are getting crowds like that then that's on par with the Cornish Pirates for some games.

Β 

32 minutes ago, tiffers said:

Really great to here you enjoyed the trip so much.
Cornwall RL have done a fantastic job in such a short period of time. Yesterday there was a number of local businesses and Cornish corporate people around. Just as important as the very vocal crowd of 1200.

There is so much potential in Cornwall for RL. Especially with so little other competition on the live sporting front.

We have taken a few drubbings, but that is absolutely true of any new team with very little time to prep, not forgetting the lack of pre-season.

Relationships are being built with local communities and other RU clubs too. At half-time, seeing Penryn RU juniors playing a game of tag rugby league was really great to see. From a fan perspective, Penryn RU have been fantastic this year.

The world-cup trophy tour in just topped off a really successful debut year off. Never did I think I would ever see RLWC trophies in a very busy farmers market in Truro city centre. Moreover, it was actively engaging with by a steady stream of really interested people actively seeking out more information. Initiatives like this are engaging people and will only help to grow the awareness of RL and sell tickets at Cornwall RL.

BBC Cornwall covering the games, with nothing other than amateur cricket to compete with has been superb too.

The beginnings of something really special are starting to take shape. It's rightly being done slowly and carefully, trying to balance risk vs. reward. Yes, other things will need to develop and building the pyramid to support the professional game in Cornwall is essential in the med-longer term.

But for the moment, let's take a moment to just say a bloody good job for year one!

We went over a couple of weeks ago for the Crusaders game whilst on holiday. The tickets were Β£12 for adults and I think the kids tickets were Β£5 each. They were well worth the money.

We were there as totally neutral fans, but obviously keen expansionists. It was a good atmosphere and what surprised me the most was that the crowd appeared remarkably knowledgeable and game-savvy. They didn't get down-hearted when the scores went away from Cornwall, and they seemed to generally understand the road that the club have set themselves on.Β 

All in all, I think the club have done very well this year. They have not gone for bust, and from a very, very short turnaround time in recruitment terms, have managed to put together a sufficiently competitive team not to be overwhelmed.Β 

Congratulations to everyone involved. My hope is that they can now push on next year and get a few more wins under the belt, whilst developing further links in the community.

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, EggFace said:

If Cornwall are getting crowds like that then that's on par with the Cornish Pirates for some games.

I spoke to many people and nobody mentioned free tickets, there were queues to pay and the stand was sold out. So I'm in lined to think those crowd numbers are genuine. Easy to see why people enjoy the experience as it's a great day out regardless if score.

The fans were ace and as pointed out knowledgeable with far fewer politics of the game discussed hence my 'pure' commentΒ 

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Are they looking at putting together a more seasoned squad next year now they've had a year? Or are they not going the Toronto route?

All very positive.

They are looking to work on the squad strength and to get players located in the area, either local talent or people who move there. This will help them get consistency, they have done well and aim to build.

Whether that's a huge change or subtle I don't know but we plan to do a show with them, very interesting to listen to their ideas and honesty

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

They are looking to work on the squad strength and to get players located in the area, either local talent or people who move there. This will help them get consistency, they have done well and aim to build.

Whether that's a huge change or subtle I don't know but we plan to do a show with them, very interesting to listen to their ideas and honesty

Fantastic to hear you enjoyed your first Cornwall RLFC home game (I think I spoke you when you were looking for Gareth?)

12-6 up at halftime and we dared to dream. Next year for sure.

• Like 3

On 22/08/2022 at 20:10, Jughead said:

Is Cornwall purely a rugby league team or is there anything happening in the local community?

Do you mean in terms of RL in the community?

They had local kids RU teams playing at half time, so engagement is happening but currently it appears RU is dominant locallyΒ 

Hopefully engaging with kids, youth, schools etc. Will see some players consider RL as an option.

On 22/08/2022 at 14:14, The storm said:

I hope people simply dont just look at the results as this is a club with huge potential

With a bit of success who knows what crowds could get toΒ 

Must be a huge number of northern retirees down there looking for that RL fix.locally

..coupled with the tourists it all makes senseΒ 

• Like 1

On 22/08/2022 at 14:14, The storm said:

Careful....I said on another thread that Cornwall had huge potential and was laughed at and shouted downΒ 

• Like 3

On 22/08/2022 at 13:29, EggFace said:

Does it really matter how many free tickets were given out, they could all have been free for me.

What is more important is getting the people of Cornwall interested in the game and they will turn out more and more.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DaveButt said:

Does it really matter how many free tickets were given out, they could all have been free for me.

What is more important is getting the people of Cornwall interested in the game and they will turn out more and more.

I was only asking if freebies were handed out that's all as I really think Rugby League could do well in the the majestic lands of Cornwall.

I've been to a few home games and it seemed pretty genuine that most people paid for their tickets.

I agree with the comments regarding building slowly; the leadership have done a great job in promoting the games and have done well in terms of their marketing to the local media.

Of course, the big benefit is that it is a summer season, but that is no guarantee of success - despite their results, Cornwall have done a great job of making it an occasion and you can tell the team have worked hard on their social media and marketing.

Developing further links with schools and Union clubs is a good move. Contrary to what some might say, there is a lot of goodwill for the club to do well from these pathways - anything related to Cornwall or being Cornish stirs it up in us, and also plays into the wider 'brand Cornwall' which seems to dynamic at the moment.

Keep up the good work, Cornwall RLFC - you've had a fantastic first year.

• Like 11