Cornwall experience

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Cornwall‘s crowds have dwarfed Truro City’s, who as Cornwall’s premier football team managed to average 130 last season. Puts their success in attracting punters this season into perspective. 

That’s Truro City, who play 54 miles from their home city at Plymouth Parkway. 

44 minutes ago, Jughead said:

That’s Truro City, who play 54 miles from their home city at Plymouth Parkway. 

Fair enough, I didn’t know that. Having looked back they were only getting around 450 in Truro though. 

Edited by Eddie

44 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Are they having a rebuilt of their ground in Truro?

I think, though I may be wrong, they had a legal battle with the ground owners who plan(ned) on building a Tesco. I think they were hoping for the building of the Stadium for Cornwall alongside the Union side but I’m not really up to date on if or when that is happening. 

It is happening, although scaled down from it's original size; due to the Conservative government backing down from a David Cameron promise in 2015 to provide funding for the stadium, it wasn't included in the recent Levelling Up funding scheme as a project. As such, another partner in Truro and Penwith College pulled out their segment of funding because of this.

Not a political swipe, but just an observation.

As I understand, the Cornish Pirates and Truro City would play there in the winter season and Cornwall RLFC in the summer.

More context: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0cht9rp

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SB1 said:

It is happening, although scaled down from it's original size; due to the Conservative government backing down from a David Cameron promise in 2015 to provide funding for the stadium, it wasn't included in the recent Levelling Up funding scheme as a project. As such, another partner in Truro and Penwith College pulled out their segment of funding because of this.

Not a political swipe, but just an observation.

As I understand, the Cornish Pirates and Truro City would play there in the winter season and Cornwall RLFC in the summer.

More context: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0cht9rp

AIUI the stadium as planned is basically now dead, and what is going to be built is a smaller thing just for Truro City. Pirates are stuck at the Mennaye now for the foreseeable. Might as well change their name back to Penzance/Newlyn…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, iffleyox said:

AIUI the stadium as planned is basically now dead, and what is going to be built is a smaller thing just for Truro City. Pirates are stuck at the Mennaye now for the foreseeable. Might as well change their name back to Penzance/Newlyn…

This is where my head was at until I heard on the grapevine just last week that there is in fact money being found at the council...

How and what this looks like yet I havent had any details on. But from the situation being dead... it now may have a glimmer.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, iffleyox said:

Isn't Penzance a better place to have a team instead of Truro ?

15 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Isn't Penzance a better place to have a team instead of Truro ?

Not really.

Truro is a central catchment for Camborne and Redruth, Falmouth and Penryn, Helston, St. Austell, Bodmin and Newquay.

Penzance is out on it's own which limits the numbers that can or want to go.

When the Pirates played in Camborne, for example, they could on occasion pull in crowds of up to 4k/5k. Now in Penzance they'd pull in 2k for a good game.

Truro is pretty dominant as the economic and social centre of Cornwall in that regard.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SB1 said:

Not really.

Truro is a central catchment for Camborne and Redruth, Falmouth and Penryn, Helston, St. Austell, Bodmin and Newquay.

Penzance is out on it's own which limits the numbers that can or want to go.

When the Pirates played in Camborne, for example, they could on occasion pull in crowds of up to 4k/5k. Now in Penzance they'd pull in 2k for a good game.

Truro is pretty dominant as the economic and social centre of Cornwall in that regard.

Good post... always that Cornish Rugby Union was like Cumbrian Rugby League being a big place but low population stretched out.

• 2 weeks later...

Cornwall's got a lot of promise, big crowds are impressive for a first year team. But winning is the best way to keep people coming to the games and they need to do better over the next few years. Expansion teams have been a failure in recent years, so it's important that Cornwall do well not just survive in League 1.   

• Like 1