Batley (H)

Wakefield Ram

1 minute ago, STEVE P said:

Did anybody watch on the telly? Would like to know if Sykes did anything that merited a sin bin. I didn't see anything wrong with the tackle at the time, but then my point of view may have been a bit biased just then.

I was at the game and I said at the time I couldn't see anything wrong with the tackle, but having watched it again this morning he was lucky it was only a yellow card, shoulder charge to the head. He'll get a ban for it. Lost us the game I'm afraid ☹️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A microcosm of our season in one game - good first half, indiscipline in second costs us the game - and another reason why I couldn’t be a referee as I thought on first viewing that the sinbin was a bit harsh. Still at least it made up in part for the Headingley debacle and Butterworth was full value for his MoM award. And the old ticker lasted the distance so I’m happy enough!

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, STEVE P said:

Did anybody watch on the telly? Would like to know if Sykes did anything that merited a sin bin. I didn't see anything wrong with the tackle at the time, but then my point of view may have been a bit biased just then.

It didn't look good on TV. Morton was already tackled and falling to the ground. Sykes arrived late and shoulder charged him, no attempt to tackle ( and Morton was already stopped, so no need for Sykes to come in). Earlier in the season it could well have been a red. Daft from Sykes and effectively lost the Rams the game.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bromleybulldog said:

It didn't look good on TV. Morton was already tackled and falling to the ground. Sykes arrived late and shoulder charged him, no attempt to tackle ( and Morton was already stopped, so no need for Sykes to come in). Earlier in the season it could well have been a red. Daft from Sykes and effectively lost the Rams the game.

You'd think at 41 that Sykes would have calmed down a bit. Same at Batley, sin bin cost us points there and Whitehaven at home binned again and cost us the game. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

I was at the game and I said at the time I couldn't see anything wrong with the tackle, but having watched it again this morning he was lucky it was only a yellow card, shoulder charge to the head. He'll get a ban for it. Lost us the game I'm afraid ☹️

Definitely lost you the game Graham. It was always at the back of my mind that Dewsbury needed another score after the interval because they had put a lot of energy into a good first half performance. It was just a shame that Dixon couldn't make it to the line after that good run otherwise it would have been game over. Think you are going to be alright under Finny after he turned that result around from the bash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

At least we will have a chance of winning a trophy 😁 enjoy your trip to Leigh. 

We need to understand a few home truths before we start taking about winning a trophy. 

The division that Dewsbury are going into will not be without its obstacles. Regardless of what quality some of the teams will be, the away day matches that they'll have to go to, will be very hard, due to the massive travelling times involved. 

Factor in that certain players could be unavailable because of work commitments etc, and/or injuries, head bangs and suspensions, then the tough suddenly becomes a whole lot tougher. 

I saw that somebody had said that we should sign younger players and develop them over time. Well, in the olden days when clubs had reserves, and colts/academy teams, you could sign a player and he was your property, which meant that this was a possibility. 

Fast forward to the present day and it's one team only, with just about everybody on a one year contract and a coach who needs a 'battle ready' team from the word go. 

It's not like it is in the NRL, where they have pathway systems, state of the art training and coaching facilities and massive amounts of finance, that can be used to develop their young players. 

Dewsbury are a semi pro setup, where money and income streams are very hard to come by indeed, and next season will get pretty much nothing in away support from other teams who visit. 

What also has to taken into account, not just next season, but all future ones, is the cost of running the whole club as well. Everyone knows about gas and electric bills going through the roof in our households, well it's no difference for a sporting/leisure/social enterprise that has big greedy floodlights, boilers etc. It's going to cost a fortune to just pay the utility bills at the club before anything else. 

I'm sure that 'Big Mark' has got his toughest job on his hands, since taking over the joint all those years ago, and a smart, financially minded bloke that he is, will know about all the pitfalls that are straight in front of him, with regard to getting the team and the club back to where he'd like it. 

Let's not get too excited about a trophy just yet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Watching the game last night I thought dewsbury were very good for 80% of the game if you can hold on to most of that team and get that extra 20% you should come straight back next season, on last night's game sykes was excellent first half, but yet again his indiscipline cost you the match, he's been a good servant for you and probably could do a season in league one with the level of rugby played in that division but is it time to let him go now? 

Edited by The scrim reaper
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lupset Ram said:

We need to understand a few home truths before we start taking about winning a trophy. 

The division that Dewsbury are going into will not be without its obstacles. Regardless of what quality some of the teams will be, the away day matches that they'll have to go to, will be very hard, due to the massive travelling times involved. 

Factor in that certain players could be unavailable because of work commitments etc, and/or injuries, head bangs and suspensions, then the tough suddenly becomes a whole lot tougher. 

I saw that somebody had said that we should sign younger players and develop them over time. Well, in the olden days when clubs had reserves, and colts/academy teams, you could sign a player and he was your property, which meant that this was a possibility. 

Fast forward to the present day and it's one team only, with just about everybody on a one year contract and a coach who needs a 'battle ready' team from the word go. 

It's not like it is in the NRL, where they have pathway systems, state of the art training and coaching facilities and massive amounts of finance, that can be used to develop their young players. 

Dewsbury are a semi pro setup, where money and income streams are very hard to come by indeed, and next season will get pretty much nothing in away support from other teams who visit. 

What also has to taken into account, not just next season, but all future ones, is the cost of running the whole club as well. Everyone knows about gas and electric bills going through the roof in our households, well it's no difference for a sporting/leisure/social enterprise that has big greedy floodlights, boilers etc. It's going to cost a fortune to just pay the utility bills at the club before anything else. 

I'm sure that 'Big Mark' has got his toughest job on his hands, since taking over the joint all those years ago, and a smart, financially minded bloke that he is, will know about all the pitfalls that are straight in front of him, with regard to getting the team and the club back to where he'd like it. 

Big greedy floodlights! Is that why you only had half of them switched on last night? 🤔

53 minutes ago, The scrim reaper said:

Watching the game last night I thought dewsbury were very good for 80% of the game if you can hold on to most of that team and get that extra 20% you should come straight back next season, on last night's game sykes was excellent first half, but yet again his indiscipline cost you the match, he's been a good servant for you and probably could do a season in league one with the level of rugby played in that division but is it time to let him go now? 

If Sykes is the best Dewsbury can do, then they won't be back anytime soon. He's part n parcel of the reason you're on your way to the RL wastelands! 

• Like 2

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Highlights if you are interested.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

2 hours ago, Lupset Ram said:

Point taken, but I said we have a chance of a trophy next year. All you say is quite true but how many League One clubs who are going to face all the same issues, will be in a much better position than us? We have good facilities for training, a very good coach and hopefully will retain some of the squad. 

I was bitterly disappointed with the result last night but, overall, very pleased with the performance and commitment that our team showed. Liam is clearly building an excellent team spirit and has all the makings of a future top coach. the result was less crucial to us than to Batley, with our fate already being sealed and I felt that we played with a greater freedom because of that. Our young players showed incredible grit and application and we will be fortunate if we are able to retain the best of them next season. If we can then the prospects of some winning rugby for a change would be welcomed.

To my simple view there were three crucial elements:

The Batley half backs were virtually non-existent in the first half but displayed their qualities in the second half with Gilmore once again to the fore. His astute kicking was a major factor in their win both from hand and with his touchline conversion that sealed the points. The ingrained winning experience makes all the difference when playing against a team that is more used to losing.

Relatively early in the second half, around the 50th minute, we had the ball in our own half and achieved a half-break where we attempted to force the pass, despite being 20-6 up at that stage. This loss of ball and position quickly led to their second try. This is simply rank bad game management.

Sykes, once again, got sin-binned and whilst he was off we conceded 12 points and the match. It was a stupid, completely unnecessary offence and he was lucky to only see yellow. He will certainly get a ban, no doubt missing our last league match and possibly with it his final chance of appearing in a Dewsbury shirt.

• Like 5

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

If Sykes is the best Dewsbury can do, then they won't be back anytime soon. He's part n parcel of the reason you're on your way to the RL wastelands! 

I thought we were at home on Boxing Day.

• Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Well now your star player Gilmore is off for a better contract you will need another half back.....😂😂😂 Sykes can play FB too, so could fill that gap when Hooley goes.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Well now your star player Gilmore is off for a better contract you will need another half back.....😂😂😂 Sykes can play FB too, so could fill that gap when Hooley goes.... 

Dear God no...

• Haha 4

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I was bitterly disappointed with the result last night but, overall, very pleased with the performance and commitment that our team showed. Liam is clearly building an excellent team spirit and has all the makings of a future top coach. the result was less crucial to us than to Batley, with our fate already being sealed and I felt that we played with a greater freedom because of that. Our young players showed incredible grit and application and we will be fortunate if we are able to retain the best of them next season. If we can then the prospects of some winning rugby for a change would be welcomed.

To my simple view there were three crucial elements:

The Batley half backs were virtually non-existent in the first half but displayed their qualities in the second half with Gilmore once again to the fore. His astute kicking was a major factor in their win both from hand and with his touchline conversion that sealed the points. The ingrained winning experience makes all the difference when playing against a team that is more used to losing.

Relatively early in the second half, around the 50th minute, we had the ball in our own half and achieved a half-break where we attempted to force the pass, despite being 20-6 up at that stage. This loss of ball and position quickly led to their second try. This is simply rank bad game management.

Sykes, once again, got sin-binned and whilst he was off we conceded 12 points and the match. It was a stupid, completely unnecessary offence and he was lucky to only see yellow. He will certainly get a ban, no doubt missing our last league match and possibly with it his final chance of appearing in a Dewsbury shirt.

You forgot to mention Campbells superman tackle, if your lad had dived for the corner it would have been game over for batley! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

I said the same,pin your ears back and back yourself,never ever look back.

My mantra in life, but only to stop me tripping up over the bloody things!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, ramsfandan said:

In my opinion should of cut inside as Campbell was flying he would of been wrong footed

Yep.

I am another "concrete international" mind.

Sykes did not get a ban, disciplinary panel says initial contact with the body and video unclear as to whether then contact with head. Hooley on the other hand has been referred for further investigation into biting. So once again this season we have suffered a sin bin that contributed to us loosing the game only for no further action against our player. Whereas our opponents stayed on the field but further action taken later.This is at least the third time this season. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KC Ram said:

Sykes did not get a ban, disciplinary panel says initial contact with the body and video unclear as to whether then contact with head. Hooley on the other hand has been referred for further investigation into biting. So once again this season we have suffered a sin bin that contributed to us loosing the game only for no further action against our player. Whereas our opponents stayed on the field but further action taken later.This is at least the third time this season. 

What if hooley is not guilty? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KC Ram said:

These things happen but think Sykes was lucky to escape a ban. In Whitehaven home game Thaler missed a blatant trip on a Rams player in open view near the Haven line. The Haven player got banned after. Thaler didn't hesitate to bin two of our players which were lesser offences during which time Haven scored twice. Anything that could go wrong has gone wrong this season with some out of our control.

• Like 1