Wed 24th Aug: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Huddersfield Giants KO 8pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/22 at 19:30

11 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Blame myler and the ref all you want, the hudds goal kicker lost them that game

Just like the cup final.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Your missus swears? Then find another volunteer to prove your theory or mine.

She does when I say to her "honey, I have just seen something on the internet that I want to try.  Now, you be a guy called Richie and I will be a guy called Chris.  I am going to get down on my knees and you have to put your head between my..." that's as far as I got.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

She does when I say to her "honey, I have just seen something on the internet that I want to try.  Now, you be a guy called Richie and I will be a guy called Chris.  I am going to get down on my knees and you have to put your head between my..." that's as far as I got.

Crude, rude and socially unattractive!

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Crude, rude and socially unattractive!

True. But I married her.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 hours ago, Josef K said:

My brother has just sent me a couple of pictures of comments made on that there Facemuck thing, and it seems Cas, FC fans are the most annoyed. Even Saints and Wigan have been called cheating b******* because it’s always the big clubs who run the game and pay the Refs.
It also seems according to one person it’s simply down to the colour of shirt you wear. 

Sorry - and you can look this up - but there are significant studies, good quality peer reviewed science, showing that referees, judges and umpires show bias; home teams, big names, and favourites being particular beneficiaries. And, yes, shirt colour has an impact. We all carry biases, conscious or unconscious, and referees are no different. Constant vigilance is a good way to reduce the effect.

1 hour ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Players must be responsible for their actions, and not blame others for what they do.

By pushing blame elsewhere your suggesting players shouldn't be expected to have integrity and they are allowed to cheat.  

The act of cheating is to trick the ref, very hard for the ref if all 26 are play acting and tricking continually.

Yes we need to stop it, but it's hard to know what is play acting accurately every time, it's even more for the ref to judge. It so subjective, many on SM blame Hill, when there's a split in opinion who is the arbitrator? Who ever makes the ultimate decision will be slated as at least half disagree with the subjective decision.

Expect more from players and help officials rather than move focus to the ref when a player cheats 

The 'play acting' has been creeping into the game more & more over the last few years, not just in SL but its in the NRL as well, all clubs have players that regularly try it on, not just Leeds. The governing bodies need to clamp down on it by handing out bans where its clear from the footage that the player has deliberately feigned injury to win a penalty or get a player sent from the field. Head contact usually gets a player a 2-3 match ban these days, so maybe faking a head contact should carry the same punishment.

Hudds & Watson shouldn't complain too much they have players who consistently play act. Levi did it in their recent game against Saints when the replay clearly showed absolutely no head contact in the tackle at all

• Like 3

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

The 'play acting' has been creeping into the game more & more over the last few years, not just in SL but its in the NRL as well, all clubs have players that regularly try it on, not just Leeds. The governing bodies need to clamp down on it by handing out bans where its clear from the footage that the player has deliberately feigned injury to win a penalty or get a player sent from the field. Head contact usually gets a player a 2-3 match ban these days, so maybe faking a head contact should carry the same punishment.

Hudds & Watson shouldn't complain too much they have players who consistently play act. Levi did it in their recent game against Saints when the replay clearly showed absolutely no head contact in the tackle at all

Ah, yes I remember the game Sirenen won through getting a player sent off while pretending to be injured. Top “play acting”!

12 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

The only thing thats been "chucked out" is Myler by his wife.  Absute s**thouse of a human being both on and off the field

You should change your user name to Raging f*****g lunatic.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Ah, yes I remember the game Sirenen won through getting a player sent off while pretending to be injured. Top “play acting”!

Now your just being a d*** and making yourself look stupid. The Ref, Video Ref, Disciplinary panel and pretty much everyone except the wigan fans could see the deliberate swinging arm that made direct contact with the head !!!

45 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Agree it's crept in, always happened but seems more frequent and cynical now.  All teams do it, not fair to single out one really.

So many are subjective, but if clear some type of warning should be issued and hopefully it reduces it. If not then they need to consider how they can reduce it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cerulean said:

Sorry - and you can look this up - but there are significant studies, good quality peer reviewed science, showing that referees, judges and umpires show bias; home teams, big names, and favourites being particular beneficiaries. And, yes, shirt colour has an impact. We all carry biases, conscious or unconscious, and referees are no different. Constant vigilance is a good way to reduce the effect.

These bias play out differently though. Fans are much more biased than refs.

Subconscious bias is a thing, but shouldn't be used in an attempt to prove refs are corrupt. I would argue they try everything not to be biased.

33 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Plus the Pope, mother Teresa and the Dali Lama are all Leeds fans.

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Cover all bases

I think you probably need a Richard Dawkins type in there to have all bases covered. 

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

I agree that players stay down to receive a penalty. 

It is more prevalent in the NRL because every match has a video ref present.

The problem is this though. If a player feels high contact and stays down and if the video ref sees high contact then how do we know whether the player was feigning injury in order to buy the time to have that review.  Measuring any type of injury like that is impossible... some innocuous looking incidents turn out to be serious and other bing impacts result in nothing.

For me, I would say that any foul play not picked up by the ref can only be looked at retrospectively by the review panel and not given on the pitch.  This will still punish any foul play while discouraging players from staying down.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I consider Mr Smith to be the best ref we have.............................................at recognising forward passes he was certainly on the ball last night, there are as many forward passes in loads of games but they are either just let go or not recognised by the officials, FWIW I think Mr Kendall is the worst at recognising this offence, he simply doesn't see them.

I think the main problem here is a large proportion of Rugby League fans still somehow haven't got a clue what a forward pass is.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Leeds fans piling in here with a typical lack of grace or humility.

Myler cheated and will be punished.

He should be BUT i doubt he will as that would be the RFL/Superleague admitting he cheated and that their officials were ok with it, expect Chris Hill to get 2 match ban instead so they don't look silly.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Yes I agree with comments. Never-the-less viewing the footage I can not see that Myler play acted, he was clearly lifted after the tackle was complete. It was a penalty in my mind for sure. 

Leeds just as Huddersfield last night and all teams often wave their hands because they think a ref isn't blowing say for holding down too long. I've seen players in various teams waving their hands as if they have a card to encourage ref to send someone off. I see players staying down as if injured to ensure plays is held up and then the ref can get the message their is foul play - note that often their is not and the injured players jumps up immediate play continues.

Yes the things we don't like are creeping into the game. That said and to repeat despite what Clarke on Sky is encouraging that Myler was fouled and a penalty was correct.

Throughout the game last night Huddersfield were holding onto the tackler either to get a 6 again, penalty or to keeping the defender player out of position.  That for sure is cheating and many teams do it.  

Why we are not pointing out those incidents last night as much as a clear penalty I can not fathom.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, daz39 said:

He should be BUT i doubt he will as that would be the RFL/Superleague admitting he cheated and that their officials were ok with it, expect Chris Hill to get 2 match ban instead so they don't look silly.

Hill should get banned for his very late hit on Myler earlier in the game that the ref missed. He may get more because he lifted Myler in a prone position just like if you lift a injured player.

On the game, we were our own worst enemies at times, missed kicks, forwards passes, dropped balls etc certainly didn't help us and had we lost the game fairly i wouldn't have any complaints but to lose it in the manner we did leaves a bitter taste not just as a Huddersfield fan but as a Rugby League fan, Myler clearly cheated and got Hill Sinbinned, the officials could all see it as could everyone in the ground and everyone watching on TV and they chose to ignore it or reverse their decision which would have sent out a message, instead they chose to allow Myler's cheating which gave Leeds the chance and space to win the game, if that was my team i would be embarrased if we had won a game that way, seeing the Leeds players and staff celebrating like they did also left a sour taste, someone somewhere within that club must think that way to win a game is not nice?.

As i say we probably contributed more in the 80 minutes to lose the game ourselves but no game should be allowed to be decided by something like that, i really hope the powers that be do something about that and send out a message for the future but as before when Leeds benefited from officials blatantly ignoring the rules to allow them an advantage it will probably be a case of sorry, the officials made a mistake and we will send them to Dewsbury next week and as you were.....thereby encouraging every player in the country at any age and level to now do this to gain an advantage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that players stay down to receive a penalty. 

It is more prevalent in the NRL because every match has a video ref present.

The problem is this though. If a player feels high contact and stays down and if the video ref sees high contact then how do we know whether the player was feigning injury in order to buy the time to have that review.  Measuring any type of injury like that is impossible... some innocuous looking incidents turn out to be serious and other bing impacts result in nothing.

For me, I would say that any foul play not picked up by the ref can only be looked at retrospectively by the review panel and not given on the pitch.  This will still punish any foul play while discouraging players from staying down.

Thats what I meant, retrospective punishments given how difficult it would be to make a decision during games. Where a player stays down holding their head to win a penalty and the disciplinary panel after review can see no head contact, then that player should receive a ban 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, daz39 said:

On the game, we were our own worst enemies at times, missed kicks, forwards passes, dropped balls etc certainly didn't help us and had we lost the game fairly i wouldn't have any complaints but to lose it in the manner we did leaves a bitter taste not just as a Huddersfield fan but as a Rugby League fan, Myler clearly cheated and got Hill Sinbinned, the officials could all see it as could everyone in the ground and everyone watching on TV and they chose to ignore it or reverse their decision which would have sent out a message, instead they chose to allow Myler's cheating which gave Leeds the chance and space to win the game, if that was my team i would be embarrased if we had won a game that way, seeing the Leeds players and staff celebrating like they did also left a sour taste, someone somewhere within that club must think that way to win a game is not nice?.

As i say we probably contributed more in the 80 minutes to lose the game ourselves but no game should be allowed to be decided by something like that, i really hope the powers that be do something about that and send out a message for the future but as before when Leeds benefited from officials blatantly ignoring the rules to allow them an advantage it will probably be a case of sorry, the officials made a mistake and we will send them to Dewsbury next week and as you were.....thereby encouraging every player in the country at any age and level to now do this to gain an advantage.

You have put this perfectly.

As a neutral I felt I had watched a terrific game only to have it spoiled by a terrible game changing decision at the end. 

I also thought the over celebrating was distasteful, especially after Fages injury. 

• Like 1