Wed 24th Aug: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Huddersfield Giants KO 8pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/22 at 19:30

3 minutes ago, meast said:

It would have helped, but that's in hindsight, Leeds could have scored 22 points and still won.

The point being that at 14-12, we had the game won regardless of how many goal kicks we missed, we lost the game because we failed to stop Blake Austin from scoring.

Failing to stop Blake Austin is hindsight as well though isn't it.

Anyway, this is not a massive argument.  I just wanted to point out that when you miss three conversions (6 points) and then lose by 4 points then those conversion misses did actually matter.  I'm really not sure why that is a controversial comment.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Failing to stop Blake Austin is hindsight as well though isn't it.

Anyway, this is not a massive argument.  I just wanted to point out that when you miss three conversions (6 points) and then lose by 4 points then those conversion misses did actually matter.  I'm really not sure why that is a controversial comment.

In a way yes, but that directly led to us losing the game, the missed kicks didn't.

Same with the cup final defeat, the missed kicks would have helped us into a bigger lead, but ultimately, conceding late tries were the factor in both. 

11 minutes ago, meast said:

In a way yes, but that directly led to us losing the game, the missed kicks didn't.

Same with the cup final defeat, the missed kicks would have helped us into a bigger lead, but ultimately, conceding late tries were the factor in both. 

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.  The late tries conceded cost the game but only because those scores were enough to overhall the Giants due to them not having enough points on the board.

Having a quality and consistent goal kicker is a very undervalued part of Rugby League for me.  As games get tighter as they get more competitive (finals, play off's etc.) then leaving points on the table comes back to hurt you.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

41 minutes ago, meast said:

Not being able to defend a last tackle play lost you the game.

Missing those goal kicks put you in a position of having to defend a last tackle play to win the game.

Not taking advantage of playing against 12 men - twice led to you having to defend a last tackle play. And just to add Austin shouldn’t have been penalised let alone sin binned as the MRP notes that you think are sacrosanct  state 

Edited by Chrispmartha
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Yeah he's a totally lovely, wouldn't harm a fly kinda guy.

Nothing wrong with that, some pressure on the kicker is good to see.  Yes, a little late but nothing high or dangerous.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meast said:

Do you mean this one?

image.png.31f36b9ce4b85a44ceb35263e41083e4.png

yep... I thought he would have got a game given other late charges on kickers that have been rules on but their the experts? No flexion on head or neck - not surprised as he went straight down because of the strength of the hit (even if moderated)  so their wouldn't be.  To exaggerate I guess a late hit that breaks the ribs is OK as long as no flexion to head or neck, yep makes sense... chuckle.

Although I would have said Sezzer could have said the same he that he also moderated before immediate contact but he got a game. I guess difference that player needed treatment but Sezzer seemed to spin to try and avoid a bigger contact.

Anyway its about opinions and they handle and rule on such incidents all the time so should be seen as being better than others are adjudicating. 

Edited by redjonn