Fri 26th-Sun 28th Aug: The Betfred League One Match Thread

1 hour ago, Templegreen said:

Skolars full back won the game scoring/making most of their tries with sone individual brilliance. 

Assuming this is Jared Basset (sp?). Fantastic that he's made the step up to L1 look so easy but he's one less star in the Southern Conference League. On balance, good for Basset/Skolars but respect to the SCL. SCL play-offs start next Saturday for those down South.

Well played Cougars. We were definitely second best but not as much as the score suggests. We go again next week to secure our second place.

Just now, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Indeed, no surprises. Two queries - what's the parking like at Latchford RLFC (thinking of taking the train, but the connection's a bit tight at Chester) and how are the playoffs worked? Can't find anything on the RFL website but that might just be my incompetence. 

I assume play offs are the same system as last year

• Thanks 1

On 27/08/2022 at 15:53, Jeff Stein said:

Skolars 16 Canes 6 at halftime. Midlands had a player sent off for something or other in the first set of the game 

High tackle. Player admitted he'd got it wrong but Skolars player didn't dwell on it. Watching it again on video, was bad technique and whilst sending off according to letter of the law, doubt anybody would have protested had he got 10 minutes in sin bin.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

On 27/08/2022 at 15:53, Jeff Stein said:

Skolars 16 Canes 6 at halftime. Midlands had a player sent off for something or other in the first set of the game 

Posted twice for some reason!

Edited by BJW
Updated

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

3 hours ago, FearNothing said:

All results as expected today, means we need to beat Swinton next week to get 2nd place back. 

3 hours ago, gogledd said:

Well played Cougars. We were definitely second best but not as much as the score suggests. We go again next week to secure our second place.

Thought Crusaders looked a bit one-dimensional: powerful, organised, just a general lack of inventiveness. Good game, though. Summed up Cougars' season - might look easy, but been anything but. Crusaders fans superb, and visitors classy for guard of honour and staying for trophy presentation. Good luck in the play-offs. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BJW said:

High tackle. Player admitted he'd got it wrong but Skolars player didn't dwell on it. Watching it again on video, was bad technique and whilst sending off according to letter of the law, doubt anybody would have protested had he got 10 minutes in sin bin.

Just seen it. Defender got his body in the wrong position and caught attacker high. Not a malicious tackle to try and do him. Very rarely see red cards for something like that in league 1 especially so early in the game. Skolars players didn't make much of it either but ref made the decision very quickly. Unlucky to see red. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Indeed, no surprises. Two queries - what's the parking like at Latchford RLFC (thinking of taking the train, but the connection's a bit tight at Chester) and how are the playoffs worked? Can't find anything on the RFL website but that might just be my incompetence. 

There's a nice diagram of the playoff structure in this Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFL_League_1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

1 hour ago, Cougarmaniac said:

Thought Crusaders looked a bit one-dimensional: powerful, organised, just a general lack of inventiveness. Good game, though. Summed up Cougars' season - might look easy, but been anything but. Crusaders fans superb, and visitors classy for guard of honour and staying for trophy presentation. Good luck in the play-offs. 

Fair assessment and thanks for the compliments and good luck message.

A good day out today, visited a couple of decent pubs (the Volunteers and the Boltmaker), and got into the ground just in time for kick off. From our perspective, the first half was typical of our previous visits to Cougar Park, where we never ever seem to get any luck. We had a couple of decent spells of pressure in the second half, but the excellent Cougars defence just soaked it up, and the six points we scored at the end could prove to be vital next weekend.

Considering the high standard in League 1 this year, I would say that this Keighley team is the best that we have seen in this league since we joined eleven years ago.

• Like 2

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

16 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Supporters bus running from the Turf in Wrexham, leaving at 12:30. £10 as usual, as its a home game. Contact crufansbus@gmail.com to book your place.

• Like 1

I would just like to echo the sentiments above from the Cougars/Crusaders game.

Scorline was flattering for the Cougars (Although our defence was excellent again)

It really was a terrific occasion and playing Crusaders definitely helped.

Great club and supporters. All the very best in the play offs. I really would like to visit N Wales again next season.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dovster said:

I would just like to echo the sentiments above from the Cougars/Crusaders game.

Scorline was flattering for the Cougars (Although our defence was excellent again)

It really was a terrific occasion and playing Crusaders definitely helped.

Great club and supporters. All the very best in the play offs. I really would like to visit N Wales again next season.

Touch of class from our lads too yesterday. Forming a 'guard of honour' for the League 1 Champions, staying on the pitch to applaud each staff member and player and presenting a gift to two of the retiring Cougars players. I was very proud to be a North Wales Crusaders fan.

Cougars will go well in the Championship and they have been by far the best team this season.

• Like 4