Fri 26th Aug: SL: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/22 at 19:30

Our pack looks strong, but we have choices in the backs. As I see it:

Bennison, Makinson, Hurrell, Davies, Simm, Lomax, Welsby 

Or

Welsby, Makinson, Hurrell, Davies, Bennison, Lomax, Roby.

I think these are the most likely. Especially the last one as it involves not playing Simm, which Woolf would prefer.

Wildcard options involve putting Davies at 6 and moving Batchelor to centre. Even more wild options involve Lussick or Bell at scrum half. But Woolf doesn't do wild!

I'd also be keen for Makinson to line up opposite French. French v Davies or Simm would be a disaster.

I'm not too concerned if we lose. We lost to Catalans in September 2021 and Wigan in October 2020 but went on to win the Grand Final against the same opponents. Equally, we have beaten Leeds late in season and lost when it matters several times.

Looking forward to a good game, hopefully avoiding injuries. Must confess it would be nice to secure league leaders at the DW though!

Edited by Chris22

14 minutes ago, hullste said:

Why are Saints and Wigan getting less than 3 days to recover b4 Monday's game whilst Leeds and Hudds get 5, no bias there obvs....🤔. Defo will be reserve squads for Monday for both. 

Head says Wigan, heart says Saints for this one. 

Because the sport could care less about player welfare,it’s all about cramming as many games as possible into the schedule.

1 hour ago, hullste said:

Still doesn't answer why 2 teams defo in the playoffs are being asked to play 2 games in 3 days a couple of weeks before the start of the playoffs🤷‍♂️ crazy

Don't they get the first week off in the play-offs? As in the Championship.

Edited by Harry Stottle

54 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't they get the first week off in the play-offs? As in the Championship.

A week off won't matter if injuries are picked up through playing 2 games in less than 3 days this late in the season. Hence it will be a youth /reserve team fielded on Monday🤷‍♂️

54 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

We need one win to finish second, from 3, and the home games are the best way to achieve that. As our motivation will be higher, I think we’ll win. 

Saints need 1 win/draw from 3 to finish top, so think motivation will be the same🤔

4 hours ago, hullste said:

Still doesn't answer why 2 teams defo in the playoffs are being asked to play 2 games in 3 days a couple of weeks before the start of the playoffs🤷‍♂️ crazy

Sky dictating who plays and when ? After all aren't they the one's paying for the privilege?

10 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Saints sold out their 4,000 allocation.

Blimey that’s good, i didn’t think people would be that interested even though i am going myself. But i have been badgered into going. 
I just hope there is no throwing of ale from the Yoof further back in the stand.

Is it cashless at the DW ?. 

Rumour is Tommy Makinson out for us. Squad numbers 2 - 5 all out now.

I expect a backline something like: Welsby, Bennison, Hurrell, Batchelor, Simm, Lomax, Davies

Not fancying our chances with French and Field running at that backline!

Edited by Chris22

On 25/08/2022 at 12:59, GeordieSaint said:

Saints sold out their 4,000 allocation.

That's very impressive.

The World's biggest derby and 4.000 Saints' fans have decided to travel the arduous 9.7 miles to potentially see their team lift the LLS.

It clearly doesn't get much better than that...

• Haha 3
With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

Rumour is Tommy Makinson out for us. Squad numbers 2 - 5 all out now.

I expect a backline something like: Welsby, Bennison, Hurrell, Batchelor, Simm, Lomax, Davies

Not fancying our chances with French and Field running at that backline!

Scratch that, Batchelor out too apparently.

Edit: thankfully, that one was nonsense.

Edited by Chris22

Having seen the two line ups I can't see past a home win. One or three unfamiliar faces in the Skints' line up and Wigan seemingly coming towards an almost full strength run in towards the end of the season if Matt Peet is to be believed.

Should hopefully be a belter.

Pies 28 Sintellerns 18.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Plenty of empty seats at the World's biggest derby.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Having seen the two line ups I can't see past a home win. One or three unfamiliar faces in the Skints' line up and Wigan seemingly coming towards an almost full strength run in towards the end of the season if Matt Peet is to be believed.

Should hopefully be a belter.

Pies 28 Sintellerns 18.

Kiss of death, cheers

• Haha 1