Why did League Express print this?

17 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Bigotry is prejudicial or discriminatory behaviour towards a certain demographic, which is exactly what that letter is.

Oxford Languages define bigotry as this:

obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction; in particular, prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

Consequently, this whole forum is riddled with it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, glossop saint said:

So because they are beating their betters? 

I can't possibly see how on earth you have reached this conclusion.

I said the opposite, that with a level playing field girls/women are far better at everything. Academically, sporting included.

36 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

You are a woke sheep. 🙂

Now you are just being silly. 

The OP want to stop someone expressing a view that the OP does not agree with.  Then some others pile in by deliberately  misrepresenting some other posters, implying that a lack of interest in the women's game equates to being  against the women's game. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Oxford Languages define bigotry as this:

obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction; in particular, prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

Consequently, this whole forum is riddled with it. 

Seems to me that this is a perfect description of the guy who wrote the letter.  And this forum is just pointing that out.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The political forum that you can't access? That one?

Printing the letter without comment or reply is obviously endorsement by the team at League Express that the view is understandable and one that it is fine to present even if they themselves may not agree with it.

I am glad you have missed me but I don't access it by choice! I was kindly offered to have it opened but I declined.

On reflection my comment wasn't very polite so I apologise.

As an aside I have found other Political forums are far more ferocious, whether I am arguing left wing or right, so I just don't bother now.

Edited by Niels

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Now you are just being silly. 

The OP want to stop someone expressing a view that the OP does not agree with.  Then some others pile in by deliberately  misrepresenting some other posters, implying that a lack of interest in the women's game equates to being  against the women's game. 

This is exactly the issue.

There is more uproar about the letter than posts where players or ex players attack women. Recently posters were saying what a great person someone was who unfortunately had had issues.

12 minutes ago, Niels said:

This is exactly the issue.

There is more uproar about the letter than posts where players or ex players attack women. Recently posters were saying what a great person someone was who unfortunately had had issues.

Agree on that final point. Super League made a song and dance of banning Ben Barba, but don't seem to have done much since then to stop those with an undesirable record playing/being involved in the game.

Look at the praise for Ben Cockayne in the pages of LE on his appointment at York. A convicted criminal, released by a club for social media postings, and censured by the RFL for the same, yet we're told he's a "great lad" at the like. Nonsense!

Edited by RigbyLuger
  • Thanks 2

Five pages in and - for RL Express and the Royal Mail’s benefit - I’m hoping many of the contributors here have also posted a letter of reply to the print title.

I think I would’ve published this letter despite disagreeing with it all, but after checking to see it wasn’t a spoof. I vaguely recall a letter on Sean Long at a St Helens nightclub that wasn’t legit and could’ve been easily shown as such beforehand.

If the page has a Views here not necessarily our own disclaimer I guess I also wouldn’t have put an editor’s reply. Do it once, do it for all letters with a viewpoint conflicting with the publication.

The reason being… whether spoof or misogynist, an inadvertent conclusion to the letter could be a lot of material explaining the who, what, when, where and how of RL heroes who happen to be women.

Audience becomes better informed; while the publisher gets good content plus, hopefully, extra income. The original author’s ideas also get debunked and maybe, if not a spoof, his views change for the better.

If you disagree, that’s fine. It’s only a view from a fella who thinks it acceptable to name himself Superb Chops.

Edited by Superb Chops
Repetition of fine in last line. It just sets my teeth on edge.

Just now, David Shepherd said:

So do I, that doesn't mean I need to go into a faux outrage when I encounter someone who clearly doesn't.

Faux?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

54 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Not a very 'modern opinion' but it's no worse than LE publishing letters abusing match officials, it all a matter of opinion and we cannot censor things just cos we don't agree with them.

It's already been confirmed that League Express don't publish every letter they receive.

So they censor all the time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Confected outrage as displayed by some of the posters in this thread. What they're actually saying is "look at me and what a nice person I am".

You think they don't actually care about what they're claiming to care about?

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

It would be great if next week's League Express mailbag was swamped with letters from people extolling the virtues of Women's Rugby League.

Yes.

And no.

The obvious yes: yes, it would be nice because, well, it's nice.

But no. Really, really no.

There isn't a debate here. None. Our little bigot Geoffrey has had years to see the development of women's sport in general and rugby league in particular. He's had players and supporters of women's RL bend over backwards to make their games something on his radar. And, at the end of all that desperate work for his attention, he writes that letter.

There is no point replying to Geoffrey or the people who nod along with his views. Nothing now will shift his view and he is more likely to be angered by what he will see as virtue-signallers who can't really enjoy or defend women's rugby league.

So, no, I'll not be writing. I suspect a great many people who would have a few years ago will also not be doing so. The world has moved on and, by publishing Geoffrey and wanting to stir up a debate for no reason whatsoever, it seems that the rugby league media really is reflective of rugby league, the sport, that has been largely left behind in this area.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes.

And no.

The obvious yes: yes, it would be nice because, well, it's nice.

But no. Really, really no.

There isn't a debate here. None. Our little bigot Geoffrey has had years to see the development of women's sport in general and rugby league in particular. He's had players and supporters of women's RL bend over backwards to make their games something on his radar. And, at the end of all that desperate work for his attention, he writes that letter.

There is no point replying to Geoffrey or the people who nod along with his views. Nothing now will shift his view and he is more likely to be angered by what he will see as virtue-signallers who can't really enjoy or defend women's rugby league.

So, no, I'll not be writing. I suspect a great many people who would have a few years ago will also not be doing so. The world has moved on and, by publishing Geoffrey and wanting to stir up a debate for no reason whatsoever, it seems that the rugby league media really is reflective of rugby league, the sport, that has been largely left behind in this area.

It's always fascinating when people who criticise others for their bigotry seem so blissfully unaware of their own bigotry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, David Shepherd said:

Absolutely

Because it's impossible that they could care about it?

Just now, Martyn Sadler said:

It's always fascinating when people who criticise others for their bigotry seem so blissfully unaware of their own bigotry.

I think we've already established that the letter passes the dictionary definition of bigotry therefore I'm comfortable in calling the writer of it a bigot.

Calling someone a bigot is not, itself, bigotry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion they shouldn't have printed that bigoted rubbish, it should go straight in the bin and offers no value as a debatable topic, but let's just say Martyn's justification for doing so doesn't surprise me either.  I stopped coming on here for a long time and I've stopped buying any of their publications too.  That's my choice. 

• Like 2

Just now, David Shepherd said:

Point me to where I said that

So they could care about it but you're able to identify that they don't really and are faking their concern?

Just trying to get a handle on your perspective here.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So they could care about it but you're able to identify that they don't really and are faking their concern?

Just trying to get a handle on your perspective here.

No, you're using your own bigotry to tell me what I'm thinking.  

If you can't see through the posts I'm referring to, that's your issue. Not mine.

• Confused 1