Why did League Express print this?

3 minutes ago, Niels said:

This is what confuses me. It was in the paper today.

Now the girlfriend is described as "viciously beaten up". 

Yet, one of his teammates calls him " a great lad".

Yet comparitively there has been far less condemnation than this thread.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11145989/Rugby-stars-fatal-heart-attack-Italian-hotel-room-possibly-drug-related-inquest-hears.html

The thread was well on its way to heading in that direction when it was swiftly locked. Which was probably for the best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dallas Mead said:

Amazing that this hasn’t been locked yet given the tripe in it and previous locking of threads for similar.

If we locked it we'd just get accused of censorship or worse, because it's about League Express.

So here we are. 🤷‍♂️

It just illustrates what a good job we do moderating in all the other threads. 😄

Imagine if they all turned out like this one! 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Niels said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11145989/Rugby-stars-fatal-heart-attack-Italian-hotel-room-possibly-drug-related-inquest-hears.html

I am going to go out on a limb here.

I don't think there is a single person on this forum who has criticised the letter sent in to League Express who doesn't also abhor domestic violence and would condemn it every single time.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

56 minutes ago, Niels said:

People are replying to a thread and the facts outlined, which is pretty clear cut as it is a letter in LE.

I've not seen a thread on Bibey and I wasn't even aware the stuff you say, other than his death, until now. Obviously what he did is wrong and I am sure people people wholeheartedly condemn anyone that beats up women. I wouldn't have thought there'd even be a debate about it. It should be that clear cut.

There are other important differences.  Obviously some people think this letter is fine, hence the debate. Also the letter is RL related which I don't think any discussion around Bibby would be.

Edited by Damien

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

If we locked it we'd just get accused of censorship or worse, because it's about League Express.

So here we are. 🤷‍♂️

It just illustrates what a good job we do moderating in all the other threads. 😄

Imagine if they all turned out like this one! 

If you want to outsource the locking of this thread to a contracted and trusted 3rd party, I would do it for a very reasonable fee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am going to go out on a limb here.

I don't think there is a single person on this forum who has criticised the letter sent in to League Express who doesn't also abhor domestic violence and would condemn it every single time.

Although presumably approving of domestic violence would be a valid opinion and any steps to decry it would be another example of cancel culture.

• Thanks 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

28 minutes ago, Damien said:

People are replying to a thread and the facts outlined, which is pretty clear cut as it is a letter in LE.

I've not seen a thread on Bibby and I wasn't even aware the stuff you say, other than his death, until now. Obviously what he did is wrong and I am sure people people wholeheartedly condemn anyone that beats up women. I wouldn't have thought there'd even be a debate about it. It should be that clear cut.

There are other important differences.  Obviously some people think this letter is fine, hence the debate. Also the letter is RL related which I don't think any discussion around Bibby would be.

Just a point - Jake Bibby's lawyers might object to your spelling of "Bibey".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 hours ago, Dave T said:

This isn't about free speech.  I expect LE doesn't publish every letter they get.  Yet they have actively chosen this one. I think it is perfectly reasonable to challenge why this one was published. 

I have long thought that Martyn Sadler enjoys a little clickbait,  that's his prerogative,  and isn't a bad commercial decision I expect. 

The letters page is the main reason I stopped buying league express at times it is a depressing read. I suppose how many other people were put off will decide whether it is a good or bad commercial decision. 

44 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Although presumably approving of domestic violence would be a valid opinion and any steps to decry it would be another example of cancel culture.

The number of people who think Geoffrey Boycott is a character who the BBC were wrong to let go is an indication that approving of domestic violence is common enough.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Dallas Mead said:

Locked. 🔒 

Wishful thinking?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment is free.

And sometimes you might not agree with other people’s views. Even if they are published in your favourite rag.
Crazy huh?

Please don’t all get your knickers in a knot (‘if that’s the right expression these days’) about it.

Maybe they could have a special "bigots" mailbag section each week in the name of free speech? One week publish a letter from a racist who wants less black players in Super League? Then the week after a letter from a homophobe who wants us all to stop talking about an openly gay player? Maybe a cheeky letter from someone who just can't stand this wheelchair rugby getting on TV as those players can't compete with Fev Rovers at "real" rugby?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 25/08/2022 at 11:38, Jughead said:

That doesn’t give free reign to print absolutely anything because it’s free speech or whatever, does it? 

There is nothing wrong with the letter in terms of not being printed, just because you or me or whoever doesn't agree with it doesn't mean it should be sensored 

If league express didn't agree with promotion and relegation would you be happy if they censored all the pro P&R letters? Or should the press be neutral and present different views from all sides of the Rugby community?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Maybe they could have a special "bigots" mailbag section each week in the name of free speech? One week publish a letter from a racist who wants less black players in Super League? Then the week after a letter from a homophobe who wants us all to stop talking about an openly gay player? Maybe a cheeky letter from someone who just can't stand this wheelchair rugby getting on TV as those players can't compete with Fev Rovers at "real" rugby?

What a wonderful idea!

And I have just the person who would do a great job in writing them.

Gingerjon is my nominee. He could write one letter a week of the sort that you suggest, probably under a nom de plume, and then come on here to complain about the terrible bigotry that is so obvious in Rugby League.

Can you think of a better candidate?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

What a wonderful idea!

And I have just the person who would do a great job in writing them.

Gingerjon is my nominee. He could write one letter a week of the sort that you suggest, probably under a nom de plume, and then come on here to complain about the terrible bigotry that is so obvious in Rugby League.

Can you think of a better candidate?

Yourself probably...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Gingerjon is my nominee. He could write one letter a week of the sort that you suggest, probably under a nom de plume, 

What are you saying about my plums?

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, yipyee said:

There is nothing wrong with the letter in terms of not being printed, just because you or me or whoever doesn't agree with it doesn't mean it should be sensored 

If league express didn't agree with promotion and relegation would you be happy if they censored all the pro P&R letters? Or should the press be neutral and present different views from all sides of the Rugby community?

Ah the old all sides argument. Im not sure you can compare sharing differing views on promotion and relegation to equality and bigotry, unless you're a moron.  Or is equality still up for debate in Brighouse?  

On 24/08/2022 at 22:02, Ragingbull said:

The old chap is just entitled to have his opinion published as you or i. 

Just because it differs to your view doesnt mean it shouldn't be published. 

I hope cancel culture hasnt spread to these forums now

Totally agree . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Ah the old all sides argument. Im not sure you can compare sharing differing views on promotion and relegation to equality and bigotry, unless you're a moron.  Or is equality still up for debate in Brighouse?  

Yes but who decides what is Bigotry and equality, the social issues we face is that unelected peoples simply call any views the don’t agree with bigotry.