Building for next season

town2018

On 25/08/2022 at 11:20, DocH said:

On the basis of what I’ve seen this year the players I would defo like to retain are:

Fitzsimmons, Thomson, Barnes. Lightowler, Steele, Scholey 

Henson, O'Brien

Doran, Thomas, Bickerdike

and I'd like to try Hutchings at centre

Forber a tricky one as has improved his game in latter half of season and got a lot of respect for him but feel we need a fresh scrum half (Walker?). 

Outside that we need an injection of pace, nous and size - only have to look at how Ferguson smashed us last week.

Players I would like to get back......🙄

Have I missed anyone?

Well pretty certain you can scrub fitzy off that list, he’s off to york by all accounts 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

On 25/08/2022 at 11:20, DocH said:

On the basis of what I’ve seen this year the players I would defo like to retain are:

Fitzsimmons, Thomson, Barnes. Lightowler, Steele, Scholey 

Henson, O'Brien

Doran, Thomas, Bickerdike

and I'd like to try Hutchings at centre

Forber a tricky one as has improved his game in latter half of season and got a lot of respect for him but feel we need a fresh scrum half (Walker?). 

Outside that we need an injection of pace, nous and size - only have to look at how Ferguson smashed us last week.

Players I would like to get back......🙄

Have I missed anyone?

Agreed with those apart from Oscar Thomas. He can go for me. 

Would like Evan Simmons to stay.

• Like 2

Would like to see Mossop back. Another of the coach's bewildering decisions to get rid of him and then bringing in the useless Davies twins.

If Chris stays on next season. Have an open mind about that, but think  on the basis of what I've heard reported on here, he could do with a couple of training courses... communication skills  to improve man management,  and recruitment decision making. 

6 minutes ago, REX said:

Would like to see Mossop back. Another of the coach's bewildering decisions to get rid of him and then bringing in the useless Davies twins.

If Chris stays on next season. Have an open mind about that, but think  on the basis of what I've heard reported on here, he could do with a couple of training courses... communication skills  to improve man management,  and recruitment decision making. 

I think the club has to think long and hard about if CT is the right coach to take the club forward and out of the present situation,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, REX said:

Mossop? 

To be perfectly honest, given the Facebook post today that the club put out with comments such as the short term future of the club is still not guaranteed, and if we get through this season,  I’m not too fussed who the coach will be or which players are wearing the blue and white as long as there is still a club in existence next season. I think given the predicament the club are in, coupled with the likely structural changes after next year we are in for a decidedly rocky couple of years. Here’s hoping we come out of it with a club still to support.  UTT

• Like 3

16 hours ago, David69 said:

Think all newcastle players etc will go back to newcastle as they go part time next year again? Like marwood back. 

Not good enough to go back to Newcastle, especially with the amount of young talent coming through the clubs youth structures, 

• Like 1

On 27/08/2022 at 14:28, Derwent Park SC said:

Agreed with those apart from Oscar Thomas. He can go for me. 

Would like Evan Simmons to stay.

Evan Simmons work rate is phenomenal like him to stay wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to Thunder said on their website they tried to keep him

• Like 1

I think we have seen the end of Newcastles resurgence, by all accounts they were forecasting on being promoted this year hence why there owner is cutting costs. I can only see them going one way as a part-time team. As for there academy there is one maybe two Cumbrians over there now at U15s level there’s been a massive drop of. A lot of them are now going to the Hull FC (Lee Crooks) lead development training. 

6 hours ago, Haven Rugby League said:

I think we have seen the end of Newcastles resurgence, by all accounts they were forecasting on being promoted this year hence why there owner is cutting costs. I can only see them going one way as a part-time team. As for there academy there is one maybe two Cumbrians over there now at U15s level there’s been a massive drop of. A lot of them are now going to the Hull FC (Lee Crooks) lead development training. 

Is it not a fact that only are a couple are at Hull also, and the youngsters have droped out of both academy set ups,  

13 hours ago, Marrafan said:

Is it not set up so they don’t have to travel to Hull or outside the county offering an alternative to all the travelling?

A couple of lads have already traveled to Hull, in my eyes that's cherry picking isent it 

2 hours ago, JMB said:

A couple of lads have already traveled to Hull, in my eyes that's cherry picking isent it 

Yes JMB it is cherry picking but I dont see how anyone can think thats a bad thing? Since the cumbria academy disbanded it seemed the only option was for players to travel to newcastle for their academy.

If Hull are prepared to spend time and money running games and coaching sessions in whitehaven I think its fair enough that the ones who stand out get offered scholarships actually in Hull Academy. I genuinely can't see what the issue is until town and haven get their heads together and run some sort of academy team?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carlisle1921 said:

Yes JMB it is cherry picking but I dont see how anyone can think thats a bad thing? Since the cumbria academy disbanded it seemed the only option was for players to travel to newcastle for their academy.

If Hull are prepared to spend time and money running games and coaching sessions in whitehaven I think its fair enough that the ones who stand out get offered scholarships actually in Hull Academy. I genuinely can't see what the issue is until town and haven get their heads together and run some sort of academy team?

My point is, Whitehaven aren't getting a lot out of this agreement with Hull are they, as the top players are still going out the county again, if only anyone with any sense at both clubs had copied the Barrows Jets programme, 

4 hours ago, JMB said:

My point is, Whitehaven aren't getting a lot out of this agreement with Hull are they, as the top players are still going out the county again, if only anyone with any sense at both clubs had copied the Barrows Jets programme, 

Whitehaven don’t get a lot out of kids going to Newcastle, Wigan etc either. At least it gives kids an alternative to spending endless hours in a car travelling to academies that will then cherry pick. It’s a shame Town turned down the opportunity of making it a West Cumbria one.