James Roby

I realise it is entirely his decision and he can do whatever he likes but I would be really disappointed if he plays on in 2023 and doesn't play for England in the World Cup.

He has done everything he ever could for Saints.

As ai say, entirely his his decision. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I realise it is entirely his decision and he can do whatever he likes but I would be really disappointed if he plays on in 2023 and doesn't play for England in the World Cup.

He has done everything he ever could for Saints.

As ai say, entirely his his decision. 

Who else would England play, Clark, Dwyer, McShane?

30 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I'd be surprised, I imagine he will want to use the time for rest and recovery before a new season.

You may well be right but you are a long time retired with lots of opportunity for rest.

Hopefully he will still find one last England swansong in World Cup on home soil too tempting.

• Like 3

It’s not a massive surprise, this, though it’s very welcome. I suspected that losing the Head Coach to Australia and your captain in one off-season would be quite the blow for the club so Roby has continued for one final year to cushion the blow but has thoroughly deserved the extension through his usual standard of leadership and performances for the club. 

• Like 1

I'm not a Saints fan, but I am a James Roby fan and I'm delighted. he's playing in 2023 I think he's a great ambassador for our game and I hope he has an injury free season and goes on to break the Saints all time appearance record and cements his place in the history of the game

I too hope playing in a home world cup proves too tempting but I'd fully understand his decision not to

• Like 9

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

55 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I would’ve preferred he retired at the end of the season. Lussick will have to put in more minutes and start to offer more as he has been very average so far this season. 

Why on earth would you prefer him to have retired? Still the best hooker in SL and not showing any signs of drop in performance or fitness.

• Like 2

Great news that he's staying on, not only for himself as barring serious injury he'll likely smash the all time Saints appearance record next year, but also for the future of the club. The coaching team have said they have high hopes of young hooker Taylor Pemberton, and this year have started including him in the 1st team match day squad, but realistically he's another year away from being able to step up to be the back-up hooker on a weekly basis. Another year for him learning from Roby & Lussick is exactly what he needs to develop.

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

18 minutes ago, Moove said:

Why on earth would you prefer him to have retired? Still the best hooker in SL and not showing any signs of drop in performance or fitness.

He is the best player i have ever seen to put on a Saints shirt and play at the top level like he has. His fitness is amazing i am not doubting that, and he defence is still first class. But it’s in attack were we are lacking from our hookers. I hope i am wrong but i think it’s a year too far.
I know plenty of people who are really pleased he’s resigned, but i think they’re just looking through rose tinted glasses and their hope is he might become the player to play the most matches ever for Saints. Ive said to them “is that the only reason why you want him to do one more season”. 
I don’t know if Saints are bringing anyone in for next season but id like to see a utility back who can play in the halves, and a winger.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Josef K said:

He is the best player i have ever seen to put on a Saints shirt and play at the top level like he has. His fitness is amazing i am not doubting that, and he defence is still first class. But it’s in attack were we are lacking from our hookers. I hope i am wrong but i think it’s a year too far.
I know plenty of people who are really pleased he’s resigned, but i think they’re just looking through rose tinted glasses and their hope is he might become the player to play the most matches ever for Saints. Ive said to them “is that the only reason why you want him to do one more season”. 
I don’t know if Saints are bringing anyone in for next season but id like to see a utility back who can play in the halves, and a winger.

Nah. Before Dodd got injured we were averaging 30ish points a game. Since then I'm not sure we've played the same backline twice in a row with Robes having to play seven at times. He hasn't got the legs for scooting much these days but there isn't anyone in SL with a quicker or more accurate distribution from acting half and that's what he brings to our attack. Nothing rose tinted there, just recognition of how his game has evolved with his age.

With Welsby, Lomax, Dodd, Grace, Percival and Hopoate running off the back of that it would look a lot better, just a shame we can only get two of them on the field at a time. Agree we need to improve our options in halves and on the wing for that reason though. No worse than other teams for injuries, just happened to be in the areas we had least depth.

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Great news that he's staying on, not only for himself as barring serious injury he'll likely smash the all time Saints appearance record next year, but also for the future of the club. The coaching team have said they have high hopes of young hooker Taylor Pemberton, and this year have started including him in the 1st team match day squad, but realistically he's another year away from being able to step up to be the back-up hooker on a weekly basis. Another year for him learning from Roby & Lussick is exactly what he needs to develop.

Taylor is a great young player, very grounded and talented. I wish him all the best in his development and look forward to seeing him progress

Just wondering, is Roby one of the marquee players at Saints do we know?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris