James Roby

2 hours ago, Josef K said:

He is the best player i have ever seen to put on a Saints shirt and play at the top level like he has. His fitness is amazing i am not doubting that, and he defence is still first class. But it’s in attack were we are lacking from our hookers. I hope i am wrong but i think it’s a year too far.
I know plenty of people who are really pleased he’s resigned, but i think they’re just looking through rose tinted glasses and their hope is he might become the player to play the most matches ever for Saints. Ive said to them “is that the only reason why you want him to do one more season”. 
I don’t know if Saints are bringing anyone in for next season but id like to see a utility back who can play in the halves, and a winger.

My understanding is although he’s signed an extention he is there mainly for experience to help out Wellens. Lussick I will be the main hooker next year they aren’t expecting Roby to play anywhere near the same minutes next year that he has this.  

12 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

My understanding is although he’s signed an extention he is there mainly for experience to help out Wellens. Lussick I will be the main hooker next year they aren’t expecting Roby to play anywhere near the same minutes next year that he has this.  

Didn't people say all that last year?

They may plan not to play Roby every game but results are all that matters and they will dictate who plays.

We've been saying that Roby will start reducing his minutes since about 2016. Never actually happens. On the one hand, I'm delighted, he's still top class and we're far better with him here. I just hope he hasn't gone one year too far in the same way that someone like Sean O' Loughlin did.

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Just switched the match on and caught Jenna Brooks saying that James Roby has confirmed he will not play in the World Cup. Understandable, but still gutted

Somewhat understandable. 

As an England fan I would much rather see Roby play half a dozen games for England this Autumn than twenty odd games for Saints next year.

And as someone who would have loved to have been good enough to play for my country at Rugby League, you would never have stopped me from playing for England in a home World Cup given even the slightest chance.

But that's me.  Not him.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Awful news for England. My gut feeling is that England can't win the trophy without Roby.

He's been great this year, and would have been an immense presence for England.

I'm sad that he's put more importance in extending his club career over bowing out with a home World Cup, but that's where the sport is at the moment.

McShane, Leeming, McIlorum, Clark and maybe Radley are all options, but none offer the class of Roby.

Wane will probably go with McIlorum starting and either McShane or Clark as benching rakes.

Unfortunate news for England.

McShane is nowhere near test standard. 

I'm not sure how much 9 Radley has played recently, but he was a good dummy half when he was younger. It might not be a bad option to start with him at 9, then bring Clarke on. McIlorum is also a good option, and I don't mind Leeming's speed in attack.

• Like 1

I saw a recent interview with Jon Wilkin where he said he was retiring from playing at the end of this year as his body was telling him it was time to call it a day. it seems he may have been talked into coming back for another year on the proviso it is a transition year as he eases a new player into his role. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion.