European u19s Championship

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Exactly. Okay the IRL and RLEF have little cash, so think outside the box. 

Is there any way the weaker clubs can host two or three players from overseas for a few months. A couple of spare bedrooms and a bit of kitchen work and would a few guys out of uni etc fancy a few months away. 

Fanciful maybe, but one idea. Maybe RL needs to be inventive!

Add a Serbian Select XIII to the NCL and base them in *insert town of your choice* for 3-4 months of the summer.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Exactly. Okay the IRL and RLEF have little cash, so think outside the box. 

Is there any way the weaker clubs can host two or three players from overseas for a few months. A couple of spare bedrooms and a bit of kitchen work and would a few guys out of uni etc fancy a few months away. 

Fanciful maybe, but one idea. Maybe RL needs to be inventive!

Theo Fages lived with a couple of Salford fans who have been heavily involved in the Salford Foundation for years. He's managed to do alright for himself.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Do you or any other posters on here know how many of their squad were actually Irish?

I put the squads of all the teams in the first post of this thread. As you can see there are a large number of Irish domestic players.

• Like 1

Would be interesting to see a 40/80 minute game between Ireland and Ukraine, brilliant tournament and ultimately successful structure which saw every team take home a win and plenty of competitive games throughout the tournament.

After the Final/Plate/Shield comps we're left with rankings as follows: 

1. England
  2. France
  3. Wales
  4. Ukraine
  5. Ireland
  6. Serbia
  7. Italy

Very disappointing that Scotland weren't able to make the start line but hopefully they can muster a side for qualifying next time around or alternatively be replaced by the likes of Turkey, Norway, Czech Republic, etc.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, UTK said:

Would be interesting to see a 40/80 minute game between Ireland and Ukraine, brilliant tournament and ultimately successful structure which saw every team take home a win and plenty of competitive games throughout the tournament.

After the Final/Plate/Shield comps we're left with rankings as follows: 

1. England
  2. France
  3. Wales
  4. Ukraine
  5. Ireland
  6. Serbia
  7. Italy

Very disappointing that Scotland weren't able to make the start line but hopefully they can muster a side for qualifying next time around or alternatively be replaced by the likes of Turkey, Norway, Czech Republic, etc.

Isn’t the next tournament in the Netherlands, if so hopefully they can get a side.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Isn’t the next tournament in the Netherlands, if so hopefully they can get a side.

I must've missed that but if so they'd definitely put forward a side, glad it's a fixture every 2 years and can realistically be hosted anywhere to give many nations opportunities at this level. 

2024 acting as a precursor for the inaugural u19s WC in 2025 will be an important tournament, I wonder if England will send their community lions again or transition to an academy side in preparation for 2025. Though I suppose they could well submit the Community Lions side in 2025 as well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UTK said:

I must've missed that but if so they'd definitely put forward a side, glad it's a fixture every 2 years and can realistically be hosted anywhere to give many nations opportunities at this level. 

2024 acting as a precursor for the inaugural u19s WC in 2025 will be an important tournament, I wonder if England will send their community lions again or transition to an academy side in preparation for 2025. Though I suppose they could well submit the Community Lions side in 2025 as well.

I don't know about 2024, but I'd hope for the U19 world cup in 2025 we'd send as strong a squad as possible - We see lads aged 19, 18, 17 playing Super League as well as for SL clubs' academies and the world cup should surely be for them. They will after all be up against southern hemisphere U19 teams which will have NRL contingents.

If England are taking it seriously they shouldn't be sending the community rep team which is after all lads who by definition aren't working towards being our top/professional players. This is obviously enough to compete with (and this week beat) the France u19 XIII and the others, but if we want the u19 world cup to be taken seriously then England would need to send its best.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I don't know about 2024, but I'd hope for the U19 world cup in 2025 we'd send as strong a squad as possible - We see lads aged 19, 18, 17 playing Super League as well as for SL clubs' academies and the world cup should surely be for them. They will after all be up against southern hemisphere U19 teams which will have NRL contingents.

If England are taking it seriously they shouldn't be sending the community rep team which is after all lads who by definition aren't working towards being our top/professional players. This is obviously enough to compete with (and this week beat) the France u19 XIII and the others, but if we want the u19 world cup to be taken seriously then England would need to send its best.

I do agree on the Youth World Cup and I hope everyone sends their best possible teams but as we've somewhat seen here the gulf between the top teams and the rest would be massive. The stated intention is for 16 nations to be participating in the World Cup so that gulf will require some form of adjusted seeding and probably super pools to justify full-strength teams, otherwise we'd be seeing Australia/NZ/England putting 150 on the bottom teams and that isn't a great use of anyones time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aus/NZ send u17/18s teams and that's probably not a bad outcome for the tournament. It's a bit of a different scenario but in 2018 there was a RL 9s "Commonwealth Championships" that ran alongside the actual Commonwealth games, Australia put out what was basically an u20s side while England sent a side that based on the squad list may well have been a Community Lions side (I could be wrong but Frankie Halton is the only name I recognise here). https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/02/20/commonwealth-championship-teams-named/

Australia: Corey Allan, Jade Anderson, Michael Carroll, Conor Carey, David Fifita, Josh Fauid, Harry Grant, Luke Huth, Paul Momirovski, Jack Murchie, Nathan Watts, Ky Rodwell, Hayden Schwass, Luke Sharpe, Kotoni Staggs

England: Gregory Howland, Cole Walker-Taylor, Liam Quinn, Gavin Rodden, Frankie Halton, Owen Restall, Samuel Rotchford, Daniel Sowerby, Jacob Moore, Tyler Spence, Daniel Ryding, Darrion Ball, Declan Sheridan, Callum Farrer, Sam Baggaley

Edit: I should note the relevance of this tournament that is that it was an u23s tournament so another "Youth" selection so to speak.

Edited by UTK

11 hours ago, UTK said:

I do agree on the Youth World Cup and I hope everyone sends their best possible teams but as we've somewhat seen here the gulf between the top teams and the rest would be massive. The stated intention is for 16 nations to be participating in the World Cup so that gulf will require some form of adjusted seeding and probably super pools to justify full-strength teams, otherwise we'd be seeing Australia/NZ/England putting 150 on the bottom teams and that isn't a great use of anyones time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aus/NZ send u17/18s teams and that's probably not a bad outcome for the tournament. It's a bit of a different scenario but in 2018 there was a RL 9s "Commonwealth Championships" that ran alongside the actual Commonwealth games, Australia put out what was basically an u20s side while England sent a side that based on the squad list may well have been a Community Lions side (I could be wrong but Frankie Halton is the only name I recognise here). https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/02/20/commonwealth-championship-teams-named/

Australia: Corey Allan, Jade Anderson, Michael Carroll, Conor Carey, David Fifita, Josh Fauid, Harry Grant, Luke Huth, Paul Momirovski, Jack Murchie, Nathan Watts, Ky Rodwell, Hayden Schwass, Luke Sharpe, Kotoni Staggs

England: Gregory Howland, Cole Walker-Taylor, Liam Quinn, Gavin Rodden, Frankie Halton, Owen Restall, Samuel Rotchford, Daniel Sowerby, Jacob Moore, Tyler Spence, Daniel Ryding, Darrion Ball, Declan Sheridan, Callum Farrer, Sam Baggaley

Edit: I should note the relevance of this tournament that is that it was an u23s tournament so another "Youth" selection so to speak.

Frankie Halton (Hull KR & Ireland)

Gav Rodden (North Wales Crusaders)

Owen Restall (Oldham & Wales)

Darrion Ball (Bristol All Golds)

• Thanks 1

I've looked up the Dragons U19s and of 28 players and only two featured in Italy Ben Abdeslem and Tadjeur. Players especially from the Dragons and TO should play the best of England I think, no.

Edited by audois

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

20 minutes ago, audois said:

I've looked up the Dragons U19s and of 28 players and only two featured in Italy Ben Abdeslem and Tadjeur. Players especially from the Dragons and TO should play the best of England I think, no.

Yes, because they are playing and playing at a professional level so should play their equivalent.