Ridiculous

7 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Very true, but the further away the lower divisions are from SL standards, means development opportunities for younger players to get them SL ready decreases.

Which long term equates to lower standards in the top division.

The decrease in quality means less interest in the game as a whole, fewer spectators, and less money for future TV deals until there is so little interest, the game ends up back where it started, as a semi pro sport. 

It isn't rocket science!

Apologies, I wasn't arguing that there is no reason for the lower leagues to get no funding from Super League, rather that the idea of them getting equal funding is nonsensical.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

To right Dogfather, a lot of people just simply have no idea what damage will be done to the sport if SL say bye bye to the Championship and L1.

If SL want to undermine the foundations they do so at their own risk and eventually the building will start tottering and come crashing down.

The last statement from @Tommygilf "after all we are not communists" just typifies the ignorance and insular thinking that so many people have.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Very correct, I thought that Rugby League was supposed to be more like a family who help each other out, only when it suits I guess?

The Rugby League family does and has provided lots of funding from Super League downwards. In fact that is the single largest sum of funding for many aspects of Rugby League.

That doesn't mean we should be giving League 1 Oldham the same money as Super League Hull FC though.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

The Rugby League family does and has provided lots of funding from Super League downwards. In fact that is the single largest sum of funding for many aspects of Rugby League.

That doesn't mean we should be giving League 1 Oldham the same money as Super League Hull FC though.

Agree on that SL should definitely get more but as i read it it sounded SL wernt giving ANY money to Championship or League 1 buy i might have read it wrong.

19 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Agree on that SL should definitely get more but as i read it it sounded SL wernt giving ANY money to Championship or League 1 buy i might have read it wrong.

I suppose it also depends on the raw amounts being received too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Easy to say when you are in SL and getting the 2M gift.

Lets say your team got relegated next year and for whatever reason "act of God" got relegated the following year would you still be spouting off the same old ######? or would you manage on 20K INSTEAD OF THE 2000K

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Yes it has, but the question is will it continue to do so? Especially in the light of a further reduction from the next TV contract, I posted an extract from what Mr Leneghan desires, SL had no option but to keep the lower league funding going until the next TV discussions are completed, I am not at all confident it will carry on.

27 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Easy to say when you are in SL and getting the 2M gift.

Lets say your team got relegated next year and for whatever reason "act of God" got relegated the following year would you still be spouting off the same old ######? or would you manage on 20K INSTEAD OF THE 2000K

Its not £2million gift, its £2million earnings. (FYI its not even actually £2million but I'm not one to quibble). Liverpool don't get a £79 million basic share of TV rights from the Premier League just because of the League's charity.

My club gets relegated to League 1 and it would still have one of the biggest revenues in the sport. Take away the Super League funding and that is true. That is why they are successful, because the TV money is just one part of a portfolio of income streams also including matchday, commercial, merchandise and competition winnings (the latter is pretty small however).

Seeing it as a handout is a fundamental flaw. Its earned. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes it has, but the question is will it continue to do so? Especially in the light of a further reduction from the next TV contract, I posted an extract from what Mr Leneghan desires, SL had no option but to keep the lower league funding going until the next TV discussions are completed, I am not at all confident it will carry on.

I don't disagree H. Ultimately there is an income figure at which SL will say "that is the minimum we need, the rest is negotiable". If the money coming in gets to that level or lower, then that is where bother is likely to come from.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fevrover said:

It's supposed to be RUGBY-LEAGUE not just SL is it not ? Where will SL get there players from  in England if bottom 2 tiers goes belly up? Can't get them all from Australia and New Zealand.

They won't go belly up if they cut their cloth accordingly..

They shouldn't have sold the rights to Sky in the first place. Was always going to throw them on the fire.

Also it is just SL they are separate to the RFL

10 hours ago, yipyee said:

They won't go belly up if they cut their cloth accordingly..

They shouldn't have sold the rights to Sky in the first place. Was always going to throw them on the fire.

Also it is just SL they are separate to the RFL

I thought they had come back together, must have misunderstood.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Oh I don't know! 😉

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Coming back together but not sharing any cash

Apart from the cash being shared.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

My club gets relegated to League 1 and it would still have one of the biggest revenues in the sport. Take away the Super League funding and that is true. That is why they are successful, because the TV money....

But if your club had not been eligible to SL riches at the time, would the top players and current income streams, etc have followed to enable even limited success?  £20k as a starting point is a different ball game! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, glemiln said:

But if your club had not been eligible to SL riches at the time, would the top players and current income streams, etc have followed to enable even limited success?  £20k as a starting point is a different ball game! 

So now we're making my club not my club to prove a point that they would be poorer if they were poorer 25 years ago?

That seems logical.

18 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't disagree H. Ultimately there is an income figure at which SL will say "that is the minimum we need, the rest is negotiable". If the money coming in gets to that level or lower, then that is where bother is likely to come from.

And what formula do you reckon SL will use to derive the acceptable minimum  figure, considering there must be varying levels that each club would consider as a "get by figure", e.g. I wouldn't expect Leeds to need as much as say Wakefield but then again I wouldn't expect Leeds to accept any less, so how do they come to "that is the minimum we need" surely other than a wet finger stuck in the air to see which way the wind blows, someone somewhere will have to do the 'figerin out', it really is a serious question it could be the mere existance of some Championship clubs never mind L1 clubs who will be sweating on the outcome. 

Edited by Harry Stottle

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

So now we're making my club not my club to prove a point that they would be poorer if they were poorer 25 years ago?

That seems logical.

Yes, but just think how different things would be if they had been different.

Makes you think.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)