Match thread: Championship Rd 26. Sheffield Eagles v Featherstone Rovers. Friday 2nd September 2022.

marklaspalmas

With 2nd place now secured, the coach has openly stated he'll be rotating players now until the playoffs  managing their fitness and game time in preparation for a home semifinal against Halifax in 3 weeks.

Sheffield is a hybrid/placky/4g/whatever pitch so heavier forwards such as Koppy, Ferres, perhaps Moors are less likely to feature.

I'd expect to see Ford back in the halves, hopefully with Jacks, just to have a look at that combination. Perhaps Smith off the bench in the absence of Wildie to look at his distribution from AHB?

Is Pickersgill ready? That'd be a boost. That'd put Hall back into the three-quarters and Broadbent, Leilua or Lineham's places under pressure. 

If front rowers like JSL, Cooper, Fleming, and Locky, etc need to cement their place in the XVIi, then they'll need a big game soon. Springer, Koppy and Eseh look set  but anything can happen.

Hellewell and Hardcastle could be set at 2nd row,  but JD is surely worth a place somewhere, and if Bussey or Ferres is fit, who knows?

So lots of questions to think about over the next two games.

Slightly shorter turn around from Workington but no big problem I think. After Sheffield it's The Shay next week, then a week off,  then Fax at home in the semi.

Showtime!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

With 2nd place now secured, the coach has openly stated he'll be rotating players now until the playoffs  managing their fitness and game time in preparation for a home semifinal against Halifax in 3 weeks.

Sheffield is a hybrid/placky/4g/whatever pitch so heavier forwards such as Koppy, Ferres, perhaps Moors are less likely to feature.

I'd expect to see Ford back in the halves, hopefully with Jacks, just to have a look at that combination. Perhaps Smith off the bench in the absence of Wildie to look at his distribution from AHB?

Is Pickersgill ready? That'd be a boost. That'd put Hall back into the three-quarters and Broadbent, Leilua or Lineham's places under pressure. 

If front rowers like JSL, Cooper, Fleming, and Locky, etc need to cement their place in the XVIi, then they'll need a big game soon. Springer, Koppy and Eseh look set  but anything can happen.

Hellewell and Hardcastle could be set at 2nd row,  but JD is surely worth a place somewhere, and if Bussey or Ferres is fit, who knows?

So lots of questions to think about over the next two games.

Slightly shorter turn around from Workington but no big problem I think. After Sheffield it's The Shay next week, then a week off,  then Fax at home in the semi.

Showtime!

Fax at home presuming York don't upset the applecart Mark. We mustn't get ahead of ourselves🙄

Hopefully Bussey will be back this week or next, so Hardcastle or Hellewell will have to give way? Could they be tried in the centres to stiffen up the defence?

Regarding Ford or Jacks, one of them will have to play on the right if Smith is rested or moved to bench hooker. In fact I'd give him big minutes there and maybe even rest Jones altogether?

Looking back ten years, we seemed to very effective with Jonny Hepworth or Kyle Briggs at 13 as an extra pivot. I know its unlikely, but could we spring a surprise by playing Jacks at 13 if we reach the final? His defence is good enough but would having a big middle light tire the others out too much? The reason I think its unlikely is that back then we still had the strongest pack even with a man light, but did we use this tactic against Cas (can't remember)?

38 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Hopefully Bussey will be back this week or next, so Hardcastle or Hellewell will have to give way? Could they be tried in the centres to stiffen up the defence?

Regarding Ford or Jacks, one of them will have to play on the right if Smith is rested or moved to bench hooker. In fact I'd give him big minutes there and maybe even rest Jones altogether?

Looking back ten years, we seemed to very effective with Jonny Hepworth or Kyle Briggs at 13 as an extra pivot. I know its unlikely, but could we spring a surprise by playing Jacks at 13 if we reach the final? His defence is good enough but would having a big middle light tire the others out too much? The reason I think its unlikely is that back then we still had the strongest pack even with a man light, but did we use this tactic against Cas (can't remember)?

For me I'd have Hardy over Hellewell. You could switch one of them to centre but I'd be surprised if we dropped Hall or Leiula at this stage of the season, if we reach the final and it's against Leigh it's hard to see us playing without probably the 2 players likely to cause them problems.

I made that point about the right hand side before the Workington game, perhaps Mac is still deciding or perhaps he intends keeping Smith as a starting half, but if one of Jacks or Ford is switching to the right you'd like to see them there before the semi final.

We did indeed play Hepworth at 13 against Cas and he had probably his best game for the club. It would be a big call to ask Jacks to defend as a middle for the first time in his career at the business end of the season, plus you'd be reworking the attacking structures that have been practised all season.

1 hour ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Fax at home presuming York don't upset the applecart Mark. We mustn't get ahead of ourselves🙄

It's out of our hands, and doesn't really matter. It'll be a tough home semi in 3 weeks.

Could be even Batley or Barrow yet.

But I think it'll be Fax.

Just saves typing out all the options.

10 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

It's out of our hands, and doesn't really matter. It'll be a tough home semi in 3 weeks.

Could be even Batley or Barrow yet.

But I think it'll be Fax.

Just saves typing out all the options.

Always enjoy your synopses Mark. Like you I think it will be Fax barring a huge upset. York and Batley do seem as though they have lost a little impetus at the wrong time but one never knows as I am currently watching Dewsbury giving Batley a hard time.

2 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Always enjoy your synopses Mark. Like you I think it will be Fax barring a huge upset. York and Batley do seem as though they have lost a little impetus at the wrong time but one never knows as I am currently watching Dewsbury giving Batley a hard time.

Yes mate. 👍

You are right, we have to take it one game at a time. If we start dreaming about Leigh in October, we may never get there.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

For me I'd have Hardy over Hellewell. You could switch one of them to centre but I'd be surprised if we dropped Hall or Leiula at this stage of the season, if we reach the final and it's against Leigh it's hard to see us playing without probably the 2 players likely to cause them problems.

I made that point about the right hand side before the Workington game, perhaps Mac is still deciding or perhaps he intends keeping Smith as a starting half, but if one of Jacks or Ford is switching to the right you'd like to see them there before the semi final.

We did indeed play Hepworth at 13 against Cas and he had probably his best game for the club. It would be a big call to ask Jacks to defend as a middle for the first time in his career at the business end of the season, plus you'd be reworking the attacking structures that have been practised all season.

Yes, you're right PH, but you don't change things when you're massive favourites, but if you're the underdog it might be worth taking a risk? Not that I would do it, just thinking out of the box!

1 hour ago, lingaro said:

What about Smith at fullback? Myler is a similar player and has ripped it up at fullback. 

L If you wet down the HB/FB  route then it should be ryley over  morgan quicker and better tackler 

Bit of a left-field inclusion in the 21-man squad for the Sheffield game...Adam Cuthbertson!

Whether it's of significance or just a name to fill the squad we'll have to see.

19 names up on the RFL website. Koppy rested, still no Bussey. Ford back in, Gill drops out, Hepi returns. Hard to say who else is in as Moors is the last named player alphabetically so 2 out of Smith, Springer, Pickersgill, Wildie, Sene-Lefao can be added to the 19 listed.

https://www.rugby-league.com/match-centre/match-preview/2217936

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Hard to say who else is in as Moors is the last named player alphabetically so 2 out of Smith, Springer, Pickersgill, Wildie, Sene-Lefao can be added to the 19 listed.

I think number 20 is  morgan or matty and 21 gadwin or jesse

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Bit of a left-field inclusion in the 21-man squad for the Sheffield game...Adam Cuthbertson!

Whether it's of significance or just a name to fill the squad we'll have to see.

19 names up on the RFL website. Koppy rested, still no Bussey. Ford back in, Gill drops out, Hepi returns. Hard to say who else is in as Moors is the last named player alphabetically so 2 out of Smith, Springer, Pickersgill, Wildie, Sene-Lefao can be added to the 19 listed.

https://www.rugby-league.com/match-centre/match-preview/2217936

Smith and JSL the two extra names. So still no Pickersgill or Wildie, and Springer gets a week off.

Looking at the 21 man squad,  Ford for Gill seems an obvious swap, perhaps the only change in the backs. Maybe Smith off the bench with Ford & Jacks starting?

Upfront, Koppy and Springer are rested, so Davies, Cooper, Hepi, JSL even Cuthbo will all be possibilities for recalls. The first three for mine.

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Looking at the 21 man squad,  Ford for Gill seems an obvious swap, perhaps the only change in the backs. Maybe Smith off the bench with Ford & Jacks starting?

Upfront, Koppy and Springer are rested, so Davies, Cooper, Hepi, JSL even Cuthbo will all be possibilities for recalls. The first three for mine.

Agree about ford and jacks starting M but would start locky and cuthbo upfront with JD at 13 giving junior a rest  subs smith fleming hepi jesse

22 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

It makes common sense to play Gaz Gale instead of Briscoe, who we can't afford to pick up an injury. 

I was told ( don't know how true it is) that Brian Mac told Gale he wasn't good enough and too tall.

Edited by Fevrover

11 hours ago, Fevrover said:

I was told ( don't know how true it is) that Brian Mac told Gale he wasn't good enough and too tall.

Remember GG has a contract for 23 and we've seen what the club has done with other players so If that was true F I think he would have already rode off into the sunset 

13 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Ok. I'd have Eseh and Cooper before JSL but there you go. 

Im saving eseh and coops for FAX away M but I wan't to play Jesses as much as I can to try an get back the player we all know he is 

2 hours ago, POR said:

Remember GG has a contract for 23 and we've seen what the club has done with other players so If that was true F I think he would have already rode off into the sunset 

I thought that and theres a big possibility of B McD not being here next season.