Match thread: Championship Rd 26. Sheffield Eagles v Featherstone Rovers. Friday 2nd September 2022.

marklaspalmas

Home game for me tonight only about 10 min to ground.Although the result is not important to either team i would like us to keep our winning run going.I expect it to be a similar task as Barrow away.Just hope the centres and wingers get decent service from the middle giving them a bit more chance in attack.

• Like 2

Message to Mark (the stats man)

Do you know have many players and even staff are contracted for 2023

I know Jones has committed and it appears from earlier posts that so has Gale. Do you know how many others ????

43 minutes ago, haskey said:

I know Jones has committed and it appears from earlier posts that so has Gale. Do you know how many others ????

It was stated by Martin Vickers that there were some players being lined up regardless of which division we will be in,don't know if you had seen it.

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

It was stated by Martin Vickers that there were some players being lined up regardless of which division we will be in,don't know if you had seen it.

lots of contractual discussions going on and we should have plenty of good news to share with you all in the next few weeks, I think there will be a few surprises 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, haskey said:

Yes, we had a list of players on one year contracts for 2022 and a list of players on two year contracts for 2022 & 2023. 

But I'm on my jollies so it'll have to wait till next week.

From (poor) memory, Gaz Gale had 2, Bussey?, Callum Field,  and others. Maybe Hepi signed a 1,5 year contract when he signed.

24 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Broadbent, Ford, Hepi and Fleming the 4 to miss out. Briscoe switches to centre.

Given this is a dead rubber and we are clearly resting some players, it's hard to read too much into the team selection. 

It's not a bad line up.

Poor defence again in the first half although Eagles had a right go at us tonight.Whenever we tried to build momentum throughout the game Eagles players went down injured.It's hard to see if this was deliberate but our players didn't seem to need as much attention.Jesse had a really good second half running the ball and Cuthbertson got a bit of game time.A win is a win but we will need to play better next week.

Sheffield played some good rugby tonight and were worthy of their lead into half time. Hats off to Fev though for a much more meaningful second period. They had to earn that win and nilled the Eagles in the second period. Jesse was terrific and ran with some purpose. Well done lads. Both teams contributed to an exciting game.

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Broadbent, Ford, Hepi and Fleming the 4 to miss out. Briscoe switches to centre.

Given this is a dead rubber and we are clearly resting some players, it's hard to read too much into the team selection. 

Who do you think we were resting just out of interest ?

7 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Just remembered .... Koppy and Springer.  However as suggested above it was still  a very strong line up....too strong to use it a reason for not reading anything into the result / performance.

Broadbent was another who I think has played every game recently but was left out last night. The comment I made was about reading too much into team selection ie I'm not sure the line-up v Sheffield gave too many clues as to who might make the 17 in the play-offs. 

I think we might learn more from next week's line-up, even though it will be another dead rubber. For instance, if the likes of Bussey and Pickersgill don't figure, it might be hard to see them making their return in a play-off semi final, maybe Wildie too, whilst we don't really know the score with Ford - was he available for selection last night and left out, and if so was it because of the surface, or has Mac decided he wants to stick with Smith and Jacks? Mac did mention Ford as one of the players mssing last night so maybe he plans to bring him back next week.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Broadbent was another who I think has played every game recently but was left out last night. The comment I made was about reading too much into team selection ie I'm not sure the line-up v Sheffield gave too many clues as to who might make the 17 in the play-offs. 

I think we might learn more from next week's line-up, even though it will be another dead rubber. For instance, if the likes of Bussey and Pickersgill don't figure, it might be hard to see them making their return in a play-off semi final, maybe Wildie too, whilst we don't really know the score with Ford - was he available for selection last night and left out, and if so was it because of the surface, or has Mac decided he wants to stick with Smith and Jacks? Mac did mention Ford as one of the players mssing last night so maybe he plans to bring him back next week.

I heard Ford pulled out from playing at last minute and it was Morgan  Smith who was going to be rested.

This type of game is ideal preparation for Rovers' play-off hopes, and next week at Halifax promises to be another tough encounter, just like the Barrow game. The only downside is injuries/suspensions with Briscoe being a slight concern from last night. But it's like trekking uphill with a heavy backpack on, while Leigh are coasting downhill every week, and they'll need their full-time training to compensate for this. 

21 hours ago, haskey said:

Not 100% on this but I believe the contracted players for next year so far are as follows. Hall Gale Hardcastle Field Cooper Hepi Fleming Jones. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rarefrith said:

Not 100% on this but I believe the contracted players for next year so far are as follows. Hall Gale Hardcastle Field Cooper Hepi Fleming Jones. 

I think there will be a clear out of a few older heads to make way for new signings.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Poor defence again in the first half although Eagles had a right go at us tonight.Whenever we tried to build momentum throughout the game Eagles players went down injured.It's hard to see if this was deliberate but our players didn't seem to need as much attention.Jesse had a really good second half running the ball and Cuthbertson got a bit of game time.A win is a win but we will need to play better next week.

Could it just be that the Eagles didn't set out to injure the Fev players?

hawk-eye.gif

9 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

and next week at Halifax promises to be another tough encounter,

I think Fax will want to keep their powder dry for York at home in the play offs, otherwise I'd have Fax as favourites

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: