Giants v Salford GF

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Surely all the ' fans of the sport ' would fill OT 

You’d hope so but cost of living and all that.

Personally I’d take a low GF crowd with Salford v Huddersfield over a saints v wigan final.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I know the thread was started ironically but I see Huddersfield and Catalans getting dumped out in week 1.

Salford, on a good day, can bring chaos and mayhem to the playoffs. Nothing is written.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A Giants Salford Grand Final would be great for us hard core fans as we would see a new Super League winner and it would be after what no doubt would have been an unpredictable and hopefully dramatic play off campaign. 

But it wouldn't particularly do a lot for the sport as whole.  There are some people who only get interested in the sport properly at the Grand Final or Challenge Cup Final time and the biggest teams in those games will attract the most interest.

Which FA Cup Final would attract the biggest audience, Man City vs. Liverpool or Bournemouth vs. Wolves?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Would be great . I think conversely it would do a lot for the sport rather than seeing Wigan or Saints for the ten millionth time 

GF and Cup Final appearances can certainly help galvanise and reinvigorate a fanbase. Critically though you need the off field team and infrastructure to take advantage of it.

Salford and Huddersfield have been in Grand Finals and Cup finals in the past few years. 

There is a debate whether it would be better for these clubs to play the big boys in the final or not. On the one hand, having the big boys there guarantees a big crowds and a memorable atmosphere; something you would want to be a part of. On the other, a game against another smaller team might be more attractive as it is a bit more winnable.

As I put above, Salford and Huddersfield have both appeared in the Cup and Grand Finals (granted Salford has one in 2020 behind closed doors and Huddersfield were at Spurs not Wembley). Alongside them Hull KR and Cas have appeared in finals too in the past 8 seasons. At the next tier Hull FC have won Challenge Cups in that time and Warrington have also won the Cup and appeared in Grand Finals. 

The practical reality is that in the current system it is very rare that Wigan, Saints and Leeds are all going to be off it in a given year to open up the route for anyone else. And even in the rare occasion they did, then the chances are you're still going to face the big clubs of Hull FC or Warrington for silverware.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Beaten everyone else in the playoffs in the past 6 rounds or so, except St Helens, who we haven't played. 

If I had to pick one of the two I would pick Leeds over Saints just so Saints don't win yet another grand final in a row even if that means a team that has won it as many times as Leeds have winning it again and probably more importantly to get the cup back to this side of the Pennines again!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

If I had to pick one of the two I would pick Leeds over Saints just so Saints don't win yet another grand final in a row even if that means a team that has won it as many times as Leeds have winning it again and probably more importantly to get the cup back to this side of the Pennines again!

Good man!

39 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

A Giants Salford Grand Final would be great for us hard core fans as we would see a new Super League winner and it would be after what no doubt would have been an unpredictable and hopefully dramatic play off campaign. 

But it wouldn't particularly do a lot for the sport as whole.  There are some people who only get interested in the sport properly at the Grand Final or Challenge Cup Final time and the biggest teams in those games will attract the most interest.

Which FA Cup Final would attract the biggest audience, Man City vs. Liverpool or Bournemouth vs. Wolves?

Yes , but the ' narrative ' would be much easier to sell 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

No it wouldn't, because you're fundamentally selling it to less invested people to start with. Big club vs underdog is easiest to sell, partly because you can piggyback the interest that already exists in and surrounds the big club.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

No it wouldn't, because you're fundamentally selling it to less invested people to start with. Big club vs underdog is easiest to sell, partly because you can piggyback the interest that already exists in and surrounds the big club.

Yes , but there's less pressure on the officials in the original scenario 

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You think the narrative of a Huddersfield vs. Salford Final would be 'much easier' to sell than Wigan vs. St Helens?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris