Giants v Salford GF

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

Tbf Salford brought a good 20,000 last time   Definitely sold out there end.

Absolutely!! Salford in the final would be great for the sport. They’d easily sell more than 20k this time

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

GF and Cup Final appearances can certainly help galvanise and reinvigorate a fanbase. Critically though you need the off field team and infrastructure to take advantage of it.

Salford and Huddersfield have been in Grand Finals and Cup finals in the past few years. 

There is a debate whether it would be better for these clubs to play the big boys in the final or not. On the one hand, having the big boys there guarantees a big crowds and a memorable atmosphere; something you would want to be a part of. On the other, a game against another smaller team might be more attractive as it is a bit more winnable.

As I put above, Salford and Huddersfield have both appeared in the Cup and Grand Finals (granted Salford has one in 2020 behind closed doors and Huddersfield were at Spurs not Wembley). Alongside them Hull KR and Cas have appeared in finals too in the past 8 seasons. At the next tier Hull FC have won Challenge Cups in that time and Warrington have also won the Cup and appeared in Grand Finals. 

The practical reality is that in the current system it is very rare that Wigan, Saints and Leeds are all going to be off it in a given year to open up the route for anyone else. And even in the rare occasion they did, then the chances are you're still going to face the big clubs of Hull FC or Warrington for silverware.

Not sure I agree about atmosphere, the best atmosphere I've enjoyed at a RL game the last few seasons was a few weeks ago when there was 4,000 at Salford v Huddersfield.

I've never really experienced any atmosphere at the big clubs, although it was pretty noisy at Headingley for 3 minutes last Wednesday.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, meast said:

Not sure I agree about atmosphere, the best atmosphere I've enjoyed at a RL game the last few seasons was a few weeks ago when there was 4,000 at Salford v Huddersfield.

I've never really experienced any atmosphere at the big clubs, although it was pretty noisy at Headingley for 3 minutes last Wednesday.

The chip on your shoulder must be weighing you down so much by now...

Of course if you read what I wrote that comment was in reference to the finals specifically.

When you look at Super league from 1998 (first Grand Final) onwards, there have actually been a pretty healthy variety of finalists and, okay, a rather less varied list of winners.

But every year the "new names in the Final/new name on the cup" mob start a thread, and the only clubs they blather on about are (yawn) St Helens, Wigan and Leeds. Maybe the clubs they support have a similar lack of imagination, and that's why they don't win the big games?

Anyway, Salford have been in two major finals in 2019 and 2020, and Huddersfield were in this year's CC final. Time for a change, I reckon.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

When you look at Super league from 1998 (first Grand Final) onwards, there have actually been a pretty healthy variety of finalists and, okay, a rather less varied list of winners.

But every year the "new names in the Final/new name on the cup" mob start a thread, and the only clubs they blather on about are (yawn) St Helens, Wigan and Leeds. Maybe the clubs they support have a similar lack of imagination, and that's why they don't win the big games?

Anyway, Salford have been in two major finals in 2019 and 2020, and Huddersfield were in this year's CC final. Time for a change, I reckon.

Point well made.  

Also proves the point no one remembers the name of the one that finish second.

however not having one of the teams you mentioned in the final would guarantee an new name on the cup.  There is a sense of inevitability that the game is going to go one way when it’s a “big club” v ? To the result.  

look the big clubs deserve the trophy’s because they have been the best teams but god it’s boring.   
I live in sale 4 stops on the metro from old Trafford and I wouldn’t make the effort for a big team final. 

2 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Point well made.  

Also proves the point no one remembers the name of the one that finish second.

however not having one of the teams you mentioned in the final would guarantee an new name on the cup.  There is a sense of inevitability that the game is going to go one way when it’s a “big club” v ? To the result.  

look the big clubs deserve the trophy’s because they have been the best teams but god it’s boring.   
I live in sale 4 stops on the metro from old Trafford and I wouldn’t make the effort for a big team final. 

Well, you can't blame Rugby League clubs for being good at Rugby League, otherwise we are heading into the realms of pandering to the bitter (who'd still find a reason not to attend) with fixed results.

And there's no guarantee that (for instance) a Wakefield v Hull KR final would be a better spectacle and/or atmosphere than (for instance) St Helens v Leeds.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, redsi42 said:

I’m sure Catalan are a professional team.  I couldn’t find any coverage of the salford Catalan game anywhere.  

I don’t know if there is a football streaming service  but it sure gets enough coverage on tv. 

Sorry I misunderstood I thought you meant Elite 1. 

• Like 1

Just now, EggFace said:

I didn't but just want to know why can't half of that 20000 can't go to regular games ?

The same reason a club in any sport gets a temporary attendance boost when they get to a big final. This is a widely known and accepted thing.

• Like 4

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 minutes ago, EggFace said:

How can Salford get 20000 for a final when they can't get 7000 at AJ Bell.

Competitive consistency and time and people are drawn to winners or the illusion they can win.

25 minutes ago, EggFace said:

I didn't but just want to know why can't half of that 20000 can't go to regular games ?

In an ideal world they would but that isn’t life. When Lowestoft Town got to the Vase final they took 15,000 down, at least a quarter of the town’s population, you might say why don’t they average 7,500 in the isthmian league north or whatever they’re in now but that’s just not realistic. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well, you can't blame Rugby League clubs for being good at Rugby League, otherwise we are heading into the realms of pandering to the bitter (who'd still find a reason not to attend) with fixed results.

And there's no guarantee that (for instance) a Wakefield v Hull KR final would be a better spectacle and/or atmosphere than (for instance) St Helens v Leeds.

No you can’t and I do admire the top teams skill.  I’m just saying the same old same old just be get me excited enough.

I’m just expressing an issue that stops me becoming a regular fully paid up rl fan. 

there no guarantee it wouldn’t be either. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EggFace said:

In the same way that there were 15,000 Wigan fans at the derby against Saints last week yet in the 2019 playoff at the DW barely 5,000 home fans turned up.

A big semi/final will bring lots of casual fans/glory hunters out of the woodwork. Sad that most of them can't make a more regular appearance but hey that's sports fans for you 

• Like 1

Would be happy to see Salford contest the GF.

But not v hudds.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

The year that Salford would have benefitted from increased attendances from the 2019 Grand Final would have been 2020, especially as they got to the Challenge Cup Final that year. Covid prevented that. By the time covid restrictions were removed, Salford were back to being one of the weaker Super League teams. If Salford can do it this year, I would hope that there will be a boost attendance wise next year.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, if you pay for Sky sports basically 90% of that is paying for premier league football and the other 10% if for all the other chaff that’s on, other than rugby league. That’s why I sacked it off and went with now tv so I can cancel it any time. 

same here, but do like cricket etc so its good for that.. what I am peeved about is NOW doesnt have NFL Hard Knocks on demand, if you dont watch it on Thursday night you dont get to see it which is annoying.. 

16 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Oh dear 

Let's have a Saints Wigan then 

Again 

IIRC, only 4 Wigan v Saints Grand Finals since it began in 1998.

In that same 24 year period,  9 different clubs have made appearances, so in total, Saints (13), Wigan (11) Leeds (10), Bradford (6), Warrington (4), Catalans, Cas, Salford, and Hull.

In that same 24 year period, Saints have played 5 different teams, I think.

HTH

• Like 2