Fri 2nd-Sun 4th Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's non-televised Betfred Championship games here.

FRIDAY 2nd SEPTEMBER
Sheffield Eagles v Featherstone Rovers KO 19:45

SATURDAY 3rd SEPTEMBER
Newcastle Thunder v York City Knights KO 19:00

SUNDAY 4th SEPTEMBER
Barrow Raiders v Dewsbury Rams KO 15:00 
Batley Bulldogs v Bradford Bulls KO 15:00
London Broncos v Leigh Centurions KO 15:00
Workington Town v Whitehaven KO 14:00

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

FRIDAY 2nd SEPTEMBER

SATURDAY 3rd SEPTEMBER

SUNDAY 4th SEPTEMBER

Sheffield 16-36 Featherstone

Newcastle 10-38 York

Barrow 44-6 Dewsbury

Batley 28-18 Bradford

London Broncos 16-42 Leigh

Workington 12-36 Whitehaven

Pretty much everybody will pick the same 6 winners, and they'll probably be right. And Fax as the 7th.

I'm not sure how to make the Championship more competitive, top to bottom. It is what it is, I suppose. The other year it was Toronto, then the next 6, then the rest. This year it's Leigh/Fev, the next 5, the next 5, then Dewsbury/Workington. After the first few weeks, very few results between teams in these mini leagues have gone against form.

Last night in the Premier League Southampton beat Chelsea. Man City have lost home games against lower clubs, and nearly lost the title twice on the last day against QPR and Villa. This kind of jeopardy makes each game more attractive. 

Rugby is diferent to football and scorelines accentuate what could be small differences between teams. I've seen teams lose by 20 or 30 points who were only just the lesser side, but the Championship (and League One) are very often 80% predictable every week.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

15 hours ago, John Drake said:

FRIDAY 2nd SEPTEMBER

SATURDAY 3rd SEPTEMBER

SUNDAY 4th SEPTEMBER

Fev

York

Barrow

Batley

Leigh

Haven

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Pretty much everybody will pick the same 6 winners, and they'll probably be right. And Fax as the 7th.

I'm not sure how to make the Championship more competitive, top to bottom. It is what it is, I suppose. The other year it was Toronto, then the next 6, then the rest. This year it's Leigh/Fev, the next 5, the next 5, then Dewsbury/Workington. After the first few weeks, very few results between teams in these mini leagues have gone against form.

Last night in the Premier League Southampton beat Chelsea. Man City have lost home games against lower clubs, and nearly lost the title twice on the last day against QPR and Villa. This kind of jeopardy makes each game more attractive. 

Rugby is diferent to football and scorelines accentuate what could be small differences between teams. I've seen teams lose by 20 or 30 points who were only just the lesser side, but the Championship (and League One) are very often 80% predictable every week.

This is why 2 x 10's wont work, would the two stepping down from SL be on less funding - No, would what funding is available be shared out equally by 20 clubs - No, would the 10 clubs that remain in SL take less funding say 1.2 million to give the other 10 approx 800K - No

As in the disparity you Identify it is tge money available through funding or the owners that finds a clubs position.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Maybe a start would be for the scoring team to not get possession directly after scoring , that would probably have prevented last weekends 100 point score by Leigh , pretty much every other sport works that way 

Imagine basketball if the scoring team got the ball back ?

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

The physicality of RL accentuates this as well , possession tires out the opposition much more than other sports , Union have got round it by changing the entire pack , we use interchanges 

FRIDAY 2nd SEPTEMBER
Sheffield Eagles v Featherstone Rovers Fev by 14

SATURDAY 3rd SEPTEMBER
Newcastle Thunder v York City Knights York by 38

SUNDAY 4th SEPTEMBER
Barrow Raiders v Dewsbury Rams Barrow by 48
Batley Bulldogs v Bradford Bulls Batley by 8
London Broncos v Leigh Centurions Leigh by 62
Workington Town v Whitehaven Haven by 2

Im not sure how to make the league more competitive but presuming Leigh go up, I think next year will be slightly different in that Toulouse will not be as dominant as Leigh and then if Leigh stay up and Wakefield come down then the 2024 season would have the potential to be excellent as I would expect Wakey to become a bog standard Championship team without having the SL money to sqander away.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The physicality of RL accentuates this as well , possession tires out the opposition much more than other sports , Union have got round it by changing the entire pack , we use interchanges 

Yes, but both sides can do it, and the better team usually has a bigger and stronger bench so it doesn't help the imbalance. Player welfare may be an issue, but I'd prefer to see substitutes rather than interchanges. I know Union does this but they allow way too many. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

FRIDAY 2nd SEPTEMBER
Sheffield Eagles v Featherstone Rovers Fev by 14

SATURDAY 3rd SEPTEMBER
Newcastle Thunder v York City Knights York by 38

SUNDAY 4th SEPTEMBER
Barrow Raiders v Dewsbury Rams Barrow by 48
Batley Bulldogs v Bradford Bulls Batley by 8
London Broncos v Leigh Centurions Leigh by 62
Workington Town v Whitehaven Haven by 2

Im not sure how to make the league more competitive but presuming Leigh go up, I think next year will be slightly different in that Toulouse will not be as dominant as Leigh and then if Leigh stay up and Wakefield come down then the 2024 season would have the potential to be excellent as I would expect Wakey to become a bog standard Championship team without having the SL money to sqander away.

Ahh yes , but what if it's Warrington ? 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Maybe a start would be for the scoring team to not get possession directly after scoring , that would probably have prevented last weekends 100 point score by Leigh , pretty much every other sport works that way 

Imagine basketball if the scoring team got the ball back ?

I can't remember when they changed this, but it did seem like an odd decision. I reffed several amateur games where some teams didn't touch the ball in the last 20 minutes as the score went from 40-0 to 90-0.

• Like 2

Just now, tim2 said:

I can't remember when they changed this, but it did seem like an odd decision. I reffed several amateur games where some teams didn't touch the ball in the last 20 minutes as the score went from 40-0 to 90-0.

Egggsssacccctttlllyyy 😉

1 minute ago, tim2 said:

As I put on here last weekend , the second half stats stated by Adrian Lam was Leigh had 18 sets , scoring from 11 , York had 3 

Maybe that was completed ones , but if York had been receiving the kick , we wouldn't have racked up the 100 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As I put on here last weekend , the second half stats stated by Adrian Lam was Leigh had 18 sets , scoring from 11 , York had 3 

Maybe that was completed ones , but if York had been receiving the kick , we wouldn't have racked up the 100 

I believe it was changed because a dominant team could score, then kick off deep, pressure the 'weaker' team into their own 20, then get the ball back and attack from close in.  With the new way, at least the scoring team have to go 100m.

Like you point out, it doesn't necessarily work like that though!

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Player welfare may be an issue, but I'd prefer to see substitutes rather than interchanges. 

I would be appalled if this came in.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I believe it was changed because a dominant team could score, then kick off deep, pressure the 'weaker' team into their own 20, then get the ball back and attack from close in.  With the new way, at least the scoring team have to go 100m.

Like you point out, it doesn't necessarily work like that though!

There's no obligation to kick off from half way.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

21 sets ?  That's very low, even allowing for a lot of goal kicks.

1 minute ago, Tubby said:

Nope, don't see what you're getting at there.

What if the scoring team kicked off from their own 30 ?  Or 20 ?  Giving the opposition possession somewhere around midfield?

1 minute ago, Griff said:

What if the scoring team kicked off from their own 30 ?  Or 20 ?  Giving the opposition possession somewhere around midfield?

Oh I see, you mean the rule could be changed to make them kick off from their own 20?  It might have an effect.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Bit harsh if the scoring team is chasing two tries to win in a tight game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

It was tried when the scoring team kicked of after scoring a try, then soon reverted back to the defending team kicking off, it was deemed if the scoring team was kicking off they could keep the defenders in their own half and also any infringements left them deep in their own half.

Hence kicking off a bit further back.

Nothing's insurmountable.