Hunslet

jroyales

Great performance from every one of the team. Hunslet played their part in keeping going for the full 80 minutes.

Thank God Owen is as tall as he is and has the pace to turn interception into tries. When was the last time we had a winger who could finish from his own line - TWICE.

Bring on the hairnets!       Keep Rangi Chase quiet and we are into the next round.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, AmigoTopping said:

I don't think people have lost interest but it is really hard to celebrate when we quite clearly don't deserve to be in the play offs. Owen really did rescue us today

My thoughts exactly. We don't really deserve to where we are.

45 minutes ago, AmigoTopping said:

I don't think people have lost interest but it is really hard to celebrate when we quite clearly don't deserve to be in the play offs. Owen really did rescue us today

What!? Objective: get in top six. Achieved! Therefore deserved! Hunslet got one point from four off us this season. If, and yes I know its a big ask, ('possible' versus 'probable' and if lady luck goes our way) we beat the butterflies, sorry , the hornets, is that undeserved? We will always be one game away from the next step. The seasons not over till Dave says it is. He's already said win the next five games and ........! Come on Oldham come on Oldham!

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

My thoughts exactly. We don't really deserve to where we are.

I agree the lads sat at home tonight stiff and sore and thinking about work in the morning really dont deserve it 

They should have turned up rolled over and made your day.

So inconsiderate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AmigoTopping said:

They all played well today and deserve to be where they are. The season hasn't been great by any means but what a way to finish it and the team deserve all our support.

• Like 3

Headingley. Sunday. 5th October 2014.

Result: Hunslet 17  Oldham 16

I was there. With a broken heart.

Revenge is mine, sayeth the Roughyed !

• Like 3

Excellent performance. Gritty and worked hard as a team against a very committed Hunslet who were quick off the blocks, hard in the tackle and full of good attacking ideas, and good forward lines of running, particularly early on. I was worried when our (non) defence parted like the Red Sea to gift them a try in the first half but we kept them close and in the second half it always felt to me that we had the upper hand. No collapse this time, helped by two Owen Restall interception length of the field tries. Not perfect, but very good, especially compared to what’s gone before this season. I loved the boys’ song at the end “Just can’t get enough,” segueing somehow into ‘We used to be sh—-, but now we’re alright.” Good team spirit and performance.

Good performance by the ref too imo.

I had the pleasure of standing  next to Phil Joy during the match. What a nice bloke. Good to see him and all the others receive their Heritage numbers at half time.

Onwards to Rochdale!

• Like 2

Well done to all the players today. I thought Emerson Whittel had his best game of the season. Apart from the early lapses the lads played exceptionally and scored 30 points without conceding any more.

Restall was superb not only with his tries, but sone of his defensive work was excellent also. He came in several times to cut out the Hunslet attack. 

Our pack as a whole played much better than most of the season and Hewitt and Ridyard reaped the benefits behind them. 

Edited by sheddingswasus
Spelling
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jackie61 said:

They all played well today and deserve to be where they are. The season hasn't been great by any means but what a way to finish it and the team deserve all our support.

Agreed the guys did what was required today but a team who only wins 40% of their games does not deserve the chance to win promotion

Well done to all the players and coaching staff for achieving the season's goal of making the play-offs. Also a first win for a while against a RL heartlands team so well done for getting that monkey off us backs. Win or lose next week, the last few weeks have provided an upbeat end to the season.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, AmigoTopping said:

Agreed the guys did what was required today but a team who only wins 40% of their games does not deserve the chance to win promotion

Oh, really?. Denmark got knocked out of the Euros, but won the cup because they were reinstated  because Yugoslavia was disbanded.  Did they deserve it? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AmigoTopping said:

And why not?? Thats what the playoffs is all about in my book.  But saying that promotion is not the right time for us but who knows ...

• Like 1

Why is it a farce AT? How many times have you seen teams coming good at the right time. 

Give credit where credit is due. Yesterday they played like a team who gave their all for themselves, the fans and importantly the club.

Will you be at the Hairnets game? It would be nice to sit next to you listening to your "positive" comments!

I THINK NOT. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Why is it a farce AT? How many times have you seen teams coming good at the right time. 

Give credit where credit is due. Yesterday they played like a team who gave their all for themselves, the fans and importantly the club.

Will you be at the Hairnets game? It would be nice to sit next to you listening to your "positive" comments!

I THINK NOT. 

No it was good team performance yesterday but my assessment is based upon the whole season and teams winning 40% of their matches don’t deserve to be given a chance to be promoted. I think it is a fair point.
Yes I will be at the game on Sunday and will be buying a season ticket again next season. 

Edited by AmigoTopping

11 hours ago, AmigoTopping said:

Swinton have a win ratio of 80% and Crusaders 75%. If we go up above these teams it would be a farce

The league 1 season is a qualifying tournament for a winner takes all knockout tournament. The league season determines who plays who and where. Those with more wins in the regular  season get rewarded with advantageous ‘draws’ in the knockout tournament.

Its called the rules of the game.

Hard to think of a sports league other than the premier league that is still played to a ‘rewards based on only the final league position’.

I suppose you think itunfair if somebody other than Saints wins the Superleague GF.

• Like 1

It's not where you finish its how you play the play offs. 

You could say that Stuart has got the lads to peak at the right time the other point is where has these performances been all year.

The best team wins the league and the best teams who deal with pressure generally win knock out football.

In soccer City are deemed to be one of the best on Europe but they haven't won the champions league.

If we win this knock out competition would I turn promotion down would I eck cos of the restructuring on its way

• Like 3

Must admit though, there are some inconsistencies in RL . Newcastle being one of them. Won nowt, game wise, and were promoted on promises of 'expansion' and spreading the game. Now they can't maintain that promise. Going back to part time. Do they deserve to be in the championship? Well yes, they followed the rules and they are outside the relegation zone. Do we deserve to be in the play offs, of course. On the off chance we win all our remaining games and get promoted, the RL will look at changing the rules. Because it will be seen as a nonsense that sixth place can be promoted. But for now those are the rules.

Does anyone know  has any team won the play offs from such a low position?

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 3